Beginners and Beyond

Monday penguins flock together! (Read 23 times)

Zelanie

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Zelanie

Hey guys.  I'm back from my weekend in the woods with 27 teenagers (overnight orientation for the Costa Rica trip).  It went well, but boy did Monday get her too quickly.  Today I have work, then the dentist, then an evening meeting.  Maybe I can squeeze a run in since I haven't run in forever.  We'll see.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Good morning Zel!  I don't know if I need all the teenagers, but I'd love to have a weekend in the woods.  I need to get away.

Not only do I not have email right now, but I don't even have my laptop.  It's been shipped to the IT "professionals".  How fun.  Trying to get my contacts is a pain the butt.

I didn't get the mileage that I wanted last week, but I got in some good quality runs.  Even with some stress eating, I managed to keep my weight in check.  I'm hoping for a great week.  We'll see.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

PADRunner

Morning all. 6 done this morning.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  I had a meeting for chorus Saturday morning, which went well, and then DH and I headed to Lowe's and bought planters and dirt for my container garden this year.  I'd already planted snow peas and spinach, and now they have been joined by pole beans, three cherry tomato plants, two dwarf blueberry bushes, and a container of carrots.  I didn't plant the corn because I ran out of dirt (doh!) and I haven't planted the strawberries because they haven't come in yet, and I didn't have a pot anyway.  So I ordered a pot today, and also some mint seeds -- I'm hoping that if I put little containers of mint all over everywhere that maybe the deer won't want to eat my plants!!  

Zelanie -- glad you survived the weekend in the woods!!

Awood -- sounds like you're kinda techno-screwed!!

PAD -- woo-hoo for your 6!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

obiebyke

Hi all. Graduating to W5 of C25K in the rain after work today. Then a massage!

I also weighed myself last night, and since October, I've lost 11.8 lbs!

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

GinnyinPA

Z - you must be exhausted after that weekend.  I hope you manage to squeeze in a run, but I'm not sure when.  Maybe run to the dentist?

Awood - I hope you get your laptop back soon, fully equipped.  Why don't you plan a weekend in the woods now that it's starting to warm up?  The thunderstorms should be past you in a day or two.

PAD - good job on the run this a.m.

HopesMom - sounds like a good sized garden.  Save one pot for basal. It grows really well and adds a nice flavor to food when it's fresh.

AFM:  rain this afternoon, so I'll either get on the stationary bike or do a short recovery run on the TM.

hog4life

obie, congrats on the weight loos!

Storms wrecked havoc on Arkansas last night, it looks we will get it tonight. I'm at work right now and will be hurrying home afterwards. Running will not happen today. I did 4.5 last night with Bella, and had my son's GoPro camera on my chest. It should be interesting to say the least, once he gets it downloaded, I'll share it.

Singer who runs a smidge

HopesMom - sounds like a good sized garden.  Save one pot for basal. It grows really well and adds a nice flavor to food when it's fresh.

Yep, I have basil seeds too.  I figure I'll put them in once it gets too hot for the spinach to do anything.  Or I'll put them around the base of the cherry tomatoes, if they can get enough sun there.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

StartingOver42

faster than a glacier

Hola Penguins! Yes I'm still alive 

Haven't been checking in since I didn't have much to say besides whining about not being able to run. Well after some physical therapy I have my foot injury and ITBS issues at least to the point I can start running again. I ran about a mile on Friday and again yesterday. First steps I've run since February 16. Felt sooooo good even though I'm almost back to square one, fitness wise. I couldn't believe how sore my legs were after running such a short distance.

Oh well I'll build it up again slowly. I am in NO hurry to ramp up. No plans to race any time soon, I just want to build back to running 3-4 miles at a time, and go from there.

Good luck everyone with your training today!

Philliefan33

Happy Monday.  I thought about taking today off just to be lazy at home, but then remembered there was lab work that is scheduled for today.  Not getting it done would mean starting over, so better to suck it up and come to work.

I haven't run or exercised at all since last Thursday, unless you count sitting through a 3-hour graduation ceremony and 11 hours of driving as exercise.  Tiring, yes, but probably not exercise.

I'm running later today.

Mitch -- I was watching TWC last night as the tornadoes were hitting Arkansas.  It was surreal -- the forecasters in the studio were watching the radar and pointing out the features that indicated a strong tornado in progress, then sure enough reports of terrible damage would start coming in.  We have all this technology to predict and watch what happens, but no technology is able to interrupt Mother Nature once she gets going.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Lunch flew by.  No word on the laptop.  Still plodding along at a hurried, but inefficient pace.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Happy Monday Penguins!

Ran a 4 mile race with DH yesterday.  I did it in 40:47 (official time) - which is a 39 second improvement over my last 4 mile race on the same course.  Not bad considering my legs were still tired at the start from my 10 mile long run on Friday.  I really want to work my way out of the brown NYRR corral (their slowest corral).  This probably means running a race with a 9:30ish mile pace, which maybe I could do on rested legs for a short race?  The problem with the brown corral is that it is where they lump everyone with a pace slower than 10 minutes/mile and the first mile or so of any race is weaving through walkers with (virtually) linked arms.

Today I did an easy 3 miles to test out some new running gear.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

SheCan

Zelanie-- whew, glad you survived.  It was good training though for your longer teen trip.

Awood-- at least you were able to get in some quality runs.  Personally, with all the traveling you do, I don't see how you maintain as good of a running schedule as you do.

Hi ya PAD and HsM, Mitch and Ginny!

Obie-- that's great!  Congratulations on the weight loss!

SO42-- I'm glad you're back to running.  It is hard when you have to stop.  One thing I like to tell myself about rebuilding, is if I'd done it before, I can it again.

Margo--- good luck getting that run in today.  I'm sure you'll feel better knowing you got it done.

Sapf-- Yay.  Glad you keep seeing those improvements!

Today was nice and cool (62ish) and I managed to get just over 6.  First thing this morning when I woke up was check the news.  I'm originally from SW Missouri, and was scared everyone mightta blown away in those storms yesterday.  Thankfully, the storms somehow barely missed them though they hit all around.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Docket_Rocket

Yo.  I ran 9 miles this morning, went for my asthma appointment, and have spent the rest of the day busy at the office.  I hate this Monday.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page