Beginners and Beyond

Cupid Run 5k RR (with pictures) (Read 54 times)

Short Version

24:11 (short course, only 2.99 miles by my watch)

This race had both a couples and individual category.

All runners: 46/394 OA, 7/94 AG

Individual category: 30/251 OA, 3/61 AG (bumped up to 2nd)

Long Version

This was the inaugural Cupid Run 5k. It took place last Saturday just a few minutes from my house, so it was the perfect opportunity to get a baseline fitness level. The race had two categories, couples and individual, and I was in the individual category.

This was my first race since my half last March and surgery last August and my third 5k. I didn’t do any training, per se, other than work on building my base. Running in general had been going really well until all the snow and ice started up. I managed to keep my mileage up, but I was much slower and it took a lot more out of me than usual. My legs had finally had it the week of the race, so I ended up taking both Thursday and Friday off. I really wasn’t sure what my time goal should be, but 27 minutes seemed reasonable. My main goal was to run comfortably hard and pick up the intensity with each mile.

Before the race trying not to make eye contact with the photographer 

Race day was pretty cold, but it wasn’t that bad comparatively. I arrived about an hour early, picked up my bib, and got in an abbreviated warm up. The race was supposed to start at 9 am, but at that point there were only about 20 or 30 of us lined up. The rest were slowly making their way over from the pre-race yoga warm up. I had planned on lining up about a third of the way back to keep from going out to fast, but ended up only a few people back. Needless to say, I started out way too fast. I managed to reign it in after about half a mile, but the damage was already done. I spent the rest of the race gradually slowing down and being passed. I kept telling myself that I wasn't racing against anyone here today and it turns out that wasn't too far from the truth.

Start of the race

Finally, I could see the finish line (about a tenth of a mile too early). I didn’t know how much I had left in the tank and had just gotten a side stitch, but I decided to go for it. I picked out a woman who was about halfway between me and the finish and chased her down. I couldn't quite get to full speed, but I was able to pass her just before the finish mat.

Just before crossing the finish mat

My splits were 7:26 (too fast), 8:20 (paying for it), and 8:33 (please let this be over)

I spent the next few minutes trying to feel normal again. I wasn’t breathing very hard, but my right side, shin, and hamstring hurt. Once I felt okay enough, I got my picture taken by the photographer and made my way back to my car. I wasn’t able to stay for the awards, but figured there was no way I would have won anything anyway. It turns out that the many of the runners who passed me were in the couples’ event, so while I got 7th in my overall AG, I got 3rd for the individual’s AG and first place in my AG ended up winning first place for females, bumping me up to 2nd for the individual’s AG. Woot.

Post-race

AG award

Overall, I have some mixed emotions about this race. I completely messed up my pacing, but I was pretty close to my PR pace. I’m also pretty happy about the AG award, but I don’t feel like I earned it since I actually came in 7th. With some speed work and better pacing, I feel that I could get to that level, though.

Next on my calendar is the Reston 10 Miler on March 2nd and then the Reston Half on March 30th.

Thanks for reading. 

5k - 25:15 (11/18/12)

10k - 1:01:51 (2/14/15)

10mi - 1:33:18 (3/2/14)

HM - 2:06:12 (3/24/13)

Upcoming Races:

Benched until further notice. :/

Everything you need is already inside. [[Bill Bowerman]]

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Congrats!!  Well done!!   2nd on the AG in your gender......NICE!!!

Out of curiosity......what surgery did you have???

P.S.  Pics are not showing for me.   ????

Randy

Thanks redrum! I had a small bone removed from my foot (accessory navicular).

The pictures show on my laptop, but not on my tablet. Hmm...

MTA: I think I fixed the problem. Smile

Upcoming Races:

Pinktastic

Congrats, Nova!  What a great race!    What a debut return after your surgery!    Way to go!

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Oh, heck yes! You smashed your goal! Perhaps you were more ready for this than you thought? You think you messed up your pacing but I think 5ks are hard to pace because they are so short. I think LRB calls them "20 minutes of torture." Your next one will be even better.  Good stuff.

Hip Redux

Very nice!  Congrats on the AG placement!

SheCan

Yay Nova!  that's awesome.  Congratulations and dangit, you did earn it!  LOL!  I'm so glad you were able to get your award.  It really is a nice keepsake.  I can't believe how well you've healed up from your surgery and I know you'll do great in your upcoming races!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Congrats on your race and your placing, etc.  Nice bling there!

Reston 10 Miler?  Reston, as in Reston, Virginia?  I grew up in Falls Church, VA.   Small world!

I now live in San Antonio, retired here after I got out of the Air Force.  Have not been back to Virginia in years. I'm sure that area has completely changed now from how I knew it.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

LRB

The 8:09 overall race pace looks favorably to your 5k time from two years ago despite the short course.  You are right then that it sets your fitness base for the year, and so long as you can run consistently and stay healthy things are looking good for you!

By chance, what are you basing your race pace for your half marathon on?

Pinktastic - Thanks!

Jack K. - Thanks! I agree that shorter races are harder to pace. That's why I like longer distances where I don't need to think as much. Tongue

Oski - Thanks!

She Can - Thanks! The race company was really great about it and luckily their office is right down the street from me.

scottydawg - Thanks! Yep, Reston, VA. I live in Falls Church now. Never been to Texas, though.

LRB - Thanks! I'm not really basing my half pace on much other than my easy pace.  My endurance is much better this time around, so I figure I can probably do about the same as I did last year. I'm not too concerned about my overall time, though. I just enjoy the race atmosphere. Smile

Upcoming Races:

LRB

Excellent!  Executing a race plan through its completion regardless of a time goal or lack thereof is just as important.  Good luck!

happylily

You look so happy and pretty in pink, those are great pictures.  Congratulations on your race and award! And awesome ranking too!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Just B.S.

Awesome job! Congrats!

Zelanie

Welcome back to racing!  Sounds like you kept it together pretty well after that blazing fast start! Smile  Hope that you have a great HM, and I agree that your race photos are great!  You look so focused and strong!

Thanks happylily, Just B.S., and Zelanie.  We were told to wear pink, so it was just another day for me. Big grin

Upcoming Races: