Beginners and Beyond

THURSDAILIES Are <insert description here> (Read 35 times)

In a great mood.

It's almost 11:00 a.m. here. I'm taking it easy today. At some point, I have to head to the supermarket down the street to buy peanut butter, then to the open-air market for bread.

I'm pleased by how good my Hebrew has become. I ended up speaking some Arabic with a cab driver last night, but it's been mostly Hebrew for me.

It just occurred to me what a good deal the Jerusalem Marathon is. Even late registration translated to less than $80.00US. Wow.

LRB

What up B!

I love this line from your races website: If you have contracted an illness, accompanied by fever, stomach upset, or diarrhea in the week preceding the marathon, you are not to participate in it!

lol

Good luck tomorrow!

As for me, I am sitting here watching Alf.  Time to brew a cup...

StepbyStep-SH

Good morning, Basya & LRB!

Basya - Your trip sounds so wonderful, and so beyond my comfort zone. But I would love to do something like it someday.

LRB - Coffee up, dude!

I'm trying to get back to at least a partial early morning routine - at least until DH has to travel again, then I can't leave the house early with DS at home alone. Planning 6-8 easy miles out in the dark on my old route. It's funny to think I'm a bit apprehensive about it. I've run this route alone in the dark probably a couple hundred times in the last 5 years, but only a couple of times this whole winter. Not sure what I think may have changed this year to make it "scary."

Then I'll evaluate how the body, and knee in particular, feel before deciding whether to go to my strength training class. If I skip it, I'll try to do a yoga video and some core work over lunchtime instead.

Have a great day, folks!

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

Boker tov!

Another day, another treadmill.

So I have generally been watching TV news during my morning milling. This morning it was literally nothing but the latest report than an Australian satellite may have spotted something that may possibly be an object, and if it is an object it could possibly be debris from the Indonesian plane. An hour and a half of that. Really? There is not a single other thing going on in Washington or Ukraine or anywhere else??

Anyway, 10 easy miles in the books.

Dave

happylily

Boker tov!

Another day, another treadmill.

So I have generally been watching TV news during my morning milling. This morning it was literally nothing but the latest report than an Australian satellite may have spotted something that may possibly be an object, and if it is an object it could possibly be debris from the Indonesian plane. An hour and a half of that. Really? There is not a single other thing going on in Washington or Ukraine or anywhere else??

Anyway, 10 easy miles in the books.

You need to watch Al Jazeera America and Al Jazeera in Doha. Seriously, it's got nothing to do with crazy extremists. Their news is the best I've ever seen, even better than BBC. They are now employing some well known American journalists. That's all we're watching these days.

So I think I'm going to be bad and I'll skip my union meeting tonight. I want to do that 12 with tempo miles and nail it well. Hopefully, the self-imposed rest day yesterday did me good.

Have a great day!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Rick, that cracked me right up. I hope that you're well-caffeinated and getting your run on.

Shari, have fun doing whatever you do. I highly recommend this race. The weather is beautiful this time of year and the course is gorgeous. I tell people that it's a wonderful way to see the city.

Good morning to you, too, Dave. Bravo on the ten.

Lily, enjoy the twelve tonight.

I'm caffeinating before walking around a wee more. Later

delicate flower

Hello and HELLO!  Back in the office after a day of off site business to tend to.  Got 5 real easy treadmill miles in this morning.  8:30 pace.  It barely felt like a run, which is exactly what I was going for.  My legs should be good to go for my race Saturday.

The start of THE TOURNEY should make today a nice, unproductive work day.

Time to go find coffee and food.

<3

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

THURSDAILIES Are <insert description here>

OK...my insert....

<THURSDAILIES Are...thymogenically thetic>

Thymogenic:  due to emotion     Thetic:  positively asserting

Therefore, the dailies are positively asserting...due to the emotion of all the folks here! 

Weight training circuit yesterday after work, an hour and 10 minutes, full body workout, light weights and 2 sets of 10 reps on each machine.  I have been goofing off in this area, haven't done it for the last couple of weeks, so my old muscles are now screaming at me after the workout yesterday.  Well, they'll get get used to it again, just gotta stay more consistent.    Another beautiful day in San Antonio today.  It's near 60 degrees right now and we are heading for sunny and 75 degrees today.  Plan on doing one of my hillwork routes today after work.

Also got some good news/bad news from my doc.  He called me yesterday, said they got the results of my polyps biopsy back.  The good news is that they were 'pre-cancerous" which means, he told me, they are the type that, if they had not been found and "excised", had about an 80% chance of developing into cancer.  So he told me once again I have 'beat cancer" - this time before it even got started, lol - by 'early detection.' The bad news, he said, is because of this I can't get a colonoscopy every 10 years, I have to remain on the every 5 years plan. Well, I think I can live with that.  Literally.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Sounds like you are enjoying your time there, Basya, and very relaxed and ready for your marathon.

LRB, I think that's ALF, isn't it?  Alien Life Force...I didn't even know that show was still on in reruns.  Used to watch the original when it first came out. Aging myself here, lol.

Running in the dark can be scary, Step...and in winter, probably even more so, since it may be hard to see slippery slopes that may send you suddenly sliding slapdash down a hill like a skewed slalom skier maybe about to slam into a slab of something or other.  So be careful out there in the potentially dangerous dark!  

Congrats on the 10 miles, DaveP!  I've been watching the BBC news lately, that station seems to report more of a variety of the news.  Plus what Lily said too - Al Jazeera America - I found that by accident on my cable lineup while I was channel surfing and it's pretty good too.

Good luck with the tempo 12, Lily!  You belong to a union?

You've been doing some great running lately, Baboon!  What's 'The Tourney'?   Is that the NCAA basketball tournament?  I'm not much of a basketball fan....can't watch it on TV, it bores me that way (same thing for me with baseball on TV too), have to be at the game in person to really enjoy it.

HobbitLegs

elevenses

Good morning!

Basya - Enjoy your day. It sounds like you're having a wonderful time and that you're putting your language skills to good use. I took Hebrew in grad school. Sadly, I'm terribly rusty at it now.

LRB - I loved Alf when I was a kid.

Shari - Enjoy those miles.

DaveP - Congrats on sticking it out on the TM with the news droning on and on and on...

happylily - Glad you enjoyed your rest day. You sure earned it! Enjoy the 12 later.

Baboon - Enjoy the taper and the tourney. I hope you knock the race out of the park.

Scotty - Hooray for beating cancer again! You're proof of how important the screenings are.

Today is our group/beer run. It's a hilly 5k, so I treat it as speed work. I can tell all of the hilly fast runs combined with the added mileage I'm doing training for my upcoming half are paying off. My easy pace has dropped and I knocked over two minutes off my previous 5k PR. I'm looking forward to seeing what my time at the half will be. The course is REALLY hilly, but I've been training for it. I hope everyone has a great day!

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

My two new pairs of shoes came in yesterday! I like 'em, hopefully my feet like them too.

These are the Asics GT-2000 2 Lite-Show, supposedly they have some sort of stuff on them to reflect better during low light runs.

Got to try out the blues on last night's 6 miler, still debating.

And the other ones I haven't worn yet. They are the yellow ones ya'll saw in one of my shoe threads in B&B (Men Suck Damn It)

Not quite as gaudy and ugly in front of me as they were on the computer screen.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Enjoy!  The shoes are very nice....but you need to show more 'leg' in the photos too....  

My two new pairs of shoes came in yesterday! I like 'em, hopefully my feet like them too.

These are the Asics GT-2000 2 Lite-Show, supposedly they have some sort of stuff on them to reflect better during low light runs.

Got to try out the blues on last night's 6 miler, still debating.

And the other ones I haven't worn yet. They are the yellow ones ya'll saw in one of my shoe threads in B&B (Men Suck Damn It)

Not quite as gaudy and ugly in front of me as they were on the computer screen.

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Morning!

I agree Dave, lots of MH370 news. I was listening on the radio and they were discussing America's incredible interest with it. They mentioned that if it would have just crashed then it would have hardly made the news. Now it's wall-to-wall coverage. I guess we just like a good mystery.

AFM, 6 Easy miles on the TM. I haven't mentioned it, but I've been having pain on the ball of my left foot. It's been there for probably 3 weeks. I got a new pair of shoes last week, so I've taken my oldest pair out of rotation. I think I'll go 2 weeks like that and if I don't see marked improvement then I'll swap out one pair for another and go another 2 weeks. Hopefully it's the shoes and not something else.

Have a great first day of Spring!

- Andrew

LRB

LRB, I think that's ALF, isn't it?  Alien Life Force...

Well technically Alf is an ALF, but I thought since ALF is his name it was spelled Alf.  Got all of that?  :-)

HL, it comes on daily at 5:00 AM and 5:30 on the Hub Network.

FS, those are really nice!  I especially like the yellow ones.

Hope you are on the mend Step!

Zelanie

Morning!  Hopefully Zoe gets to come home today!  I will try to get my 6 in before DH gets back with her.

Shari- I feel like that all the time.  Sometimes when I'm thinking about going out for a run, it's hard to believe I even know how to run at all.  And that's even more true if my routine has changed, even if it's just changing back to something I've done lots of times.  I think it's just the blerch.