Beginners and Beyond

Anybody else watch the Grand Prix indoor today?? (news inside) (Read 44 times)

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

I didn't even know about it as I was trying to keep an eye on the Olympics TV schedule, but just happened to catch it scrolling thru the guide. (sheesh)

http://www.oregonlive.com/trackandfield/index.ssf/2014/02/track_field_mary_cain_and_sall.html

Biggest news is that Rupp pulled up in the mile w/ a sore foot, but in the above article the update from Salazar is that he's ok.  He tried some new flats and they hurt his foot but then he warmed down in some trainers, put on his old spikes and Salazar put him thru a workout.  (weird)

Craziest thing was watching Jenny Simpson think she had passed Kipyego for 1st place finish only to figure out (after trotting to the side) that there was still 1 lap left.  I had a feeling she was really blowing by Kipyego a little too fast but obviously her thinking she was running to the finish was the reason why.  So sad, too cuz she reeeeally made a great come back in the latter half of that race.

Jordan Hassay was there for a little while, but ran out of gas.

Nick Simmonds and his "Brooks Beast" team failed miserably to win the 4 x 800 relay, much less set a new record.  Worse still, the team that *did* win, which included Duane Solomon and his team of "All Stars", kicked butt out there & brought home the record for themselves!.

Randy

LRB

Craziest thing was watching Jenny Simpson think she had passed Kipyego for 1st place finish only to figure out (after trotting to the side) that there was still 1 lap left.  I had a feeling she was really blowing by Kipyego a little too fast but obviously her thinking she was running to the finish was the reason why.  So sad, too cuz she reeeeally made a great come back in the latter half of that race.

That is really a shame.

No, I did not know it was on either.  Phooey.  I wonder what shoe Rupp had on, and having a workout after a mile race is not really all that uncommon considering the volume of speed work those guys are required to get in.

I would have liked to have seen what the workout was though. 

kettledrum

Likewise I only caught this as I was looking at Olympic coverage.  Am glad to hear rupture Rupp is okay.

And there is another indoor meet on TV next weekend too?

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I wasn't watching anything last might or the previous 3 days since I lost cable due to the ice storm. I hope it doesn't take too long before the videos are available for free.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Love the Half

I tuned in just as they were interviewing the four guys about the record but they never showed any highlights nor did they say what race it was so until just now, I had no idea what record they had broken.  I did see Jenny pull up in the 2 miler.  Oopsie.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Yes, Millrose is next weekend and then the championships (indoor) the weekend after that.  Quite a schedule for 3 weeks which is why I was very glad to hear that Rupp's foot was ok.

Here's schedule.......

http://www.usatf.org/Events---Calendar/2014/Home.aspx

Randy

RSX

I was too lazy to go as it was here, but had no clue it was on tv

LRB

I was too lazy to go as it was here, but had no clue it was on tv

I would like to see something like that live, not sure though that they have anything like that in my neck of the woods.

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

Since it was a last-minute decision for Rupp to run at all, I don't imagine he's too disappointed?

Too bad about the 2-mile, but man that Armory track gets dizzying... I've lost track of laps there before, but ow.  That's gotta sting.

PRs: 5k 19:25, mile 5:38, HM 1:30:56

Lifting PRs: bench press 125lb, back squat 205 lb, deadlift 245lb

Mmmmm...beer

Last I read, Rupp was going to go for the mile record on the 15th, is that still happening, or did they decide to try to go for it at the Grand Prix?

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Mmmmm...beer

After some searching, it looks like they swapped next weekends BU meet for the Grand Prix, and now are focused on the Championships.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!