Beginners and Beyond

Do you like where you live in regards to running? (Read 168 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

KK those look like amazing places to run and just to be at.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

I like it most of the year. Right now it's just too damn hot so I need to get up very early(still dark) to get in my miles.

YAYpril - B-Plus

D, I was expecting you to respond but not with that, that's horrible! We've had some bike and pedestrian deaths around here too unfortunately, the one spot had two bike accidents, one fatal (and he was a bike safety proponent) In less than two months. Running seems to be fairly safe though.

Fahy Bridge is a death trap for cyclists. Ugh.

I live near where lilac lives and I like it. My neighborhood is huge and fully-sidewalked, and the busiest roads I encounter only have 35mph speed limits. When my husband and I were house-hunting back in 2010, I had just started running (actually had completed my first 5k the morning we saw the house we ended up buying, because of course I wore the race shirt to the appointment). I didn't know at the time how vested I'd become in running but it was important to me to find a runner-friendly neighborhood. There were some houses we saw on busy unsidewalked roads that I ended up just saying no to right away due to location.

Lots of races here too. I've been running almost 3 years and haven't gotten bored enough of local races to feel the need to travel to race yet.

What's a Manhatyab?  If that's autocorrect, it's on crack.  If you typed it, well...  Smile

If you think that's an unusual autocorrection, you do not have an iPhone or iPad.

Cannot complain too much about my area. Normal route is 4 mile square around my neighborhood, all on paved path, the only streets I need to cross are sub entrances. I can expand the loop to include surrounding neighborhoods & then will cross a few streets, but no big deal. Nice grid system so I can plan mileage. I am also within a couple miles of some decent hills, a school with a track & a state park with trails. (I have not actually taken advantage of any of these, but no excuse not to beef up my training routine.) There is a 2-mile loop around my office I can run from work. I have never actually driven anywhere to run, other than a race.

Dave

meaghansketch

Like Kristin, I live in Brooklyn, NY.  I would say that for running it has its good points and its bad points, like everywhere else.  There are so many runners, I almost always feel safe in the parks here, and it's such a pedestrian city, I feel like I don't have to worry about being hit by a car as much as I would if I were in a city where pedestrians weren't the norm.  I love my park, and I love my loop.  I love my running club and I really love the inter-club competition, which I think fosters more competitiveness and more drive for excellence among the runners who choose to take part.  I love that there are flats and hills to run.  I love that you can run for two hours and if you get tired you can just hop on the subway.  I also love how easy the subway makes run-commuting-- you never have to worry about your car!  For the most part, races here (even half-marathons) are well-priced. It's nice to be able to run a well-supported half marathon and pay only $30.

OK, so I guess I mostly love it.

I do wish the weather was a little more west-coasty (I think Portland/Seattle/Vancouver would be just about the perfect climate for me).  And because there are so many runners here, it's extremely difficult to AG place in a race, if that's your goal.  (I think I would have to travel, and find some tiny little race somewhere, to make it happen, and my race times aren't all that terrible).  The no-car lifestyle in NYC (I know I _could_ have a car, it would just be wildly impractical) means I almost never get out of my immediate area to run, and pretty much never run on trails outside of my local park.

All in all, I give it a thumbs-up.  It's certainly better than a couple years ago, when I lived in Queens, just off of a street not-so-lovingly nicknamed the 'Boulevard of Death'.  That was my regular running route the whole time I lived there, before I put my foot down and decided I needed to live near a park.

It's been worth it Smile

The Mc

Vermont is a great place to run, especially if you like trails.

Papa don't take no mess.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

We have weather extremes here in the Philly area. It can drop into low teens or single digits in winter with nasty wind chill and get into the upper 90s with high humidity in the summer.  It's still a good place for runners is you can avoid the roads with narrow or no shoulders. The drivers seem oblivious to pedestrians including runners. The residential streets are fine though and I have a nearby college campus to run on where traffic is not a problem. In addition there are several convenient local parks and Valley Forge NP to run in with many connecting trails.

I can find a race almost any weekend of the year, even in the dead of winter. There's a dearth of 10Ks but from prime racing season in the spring to the end in late fall I usually have several 5Ks and sometimes other distances each weekend to choose from. A couple local clubs also sponsor track meets which are an important part of running and racing for me, so I have indoor track meets and summer outdoor track meets to race my favorites distances, 800m and mile. I'm not interested in the mega races, but we have several that draw large fields including the Philadelphia Marathon, one of the top 10-milers in the country, the Broad Street Run, and the former PDR now known as the RnR Philadelphia HM.

There are quite a few running clubs in the area and I've been a member and active with one for the past 14 years. Several of them are also associated, at least indirectly, with local running stores so there's no lack of places to get running shoes and gear. One of them gives a discount to members of the club I belong to which is a nice perk.

Overall I think I have a pretty good area for running though I may complain about the weather now and then. The running environment would be a primary consideration if I were ever to decide to move.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

TakeAHike

My neighborhood is OK for running, but not great.  There are rolling hills everywhere so I get in some hill work every day.  I run mostly through quiet suburban neighborhoods, but I also have to spend a few minutes of each run on busier roads where drivers go way too fast.  It worries me sometimes, but there is not much I can do about it. On the plus side, I live about half a mile from a fantastic mondo track.  There is also a nice 13-mile challenging trail loop within a 10 minute drive from my house.  I use the track a fair amount, because I can jog over there, but I tend not to do any trail running because I would have to drive there and back.

Many years ago, I lived next to the Duke Forest in Durham, NC.  The weather could be brutal, but the trails were fantastic.  I never ran on pavement when I lived down there.  I quit running when I moved.  I just couldn't get used to the idea of running on roads.  Oh well. I'm over it now.

2013 goals: 800m: 2:20 | mile: 4:59 | 5k: 18:59 | 10k: 39:59 | HM: 1:32 | Marathon: 3:20

Jess runs for bacon

We have weather extremes here in the Philly area. It can drop into low teens or single digits in winter with nasty wind chill and get into the upper 90s with high humidity in the summer.  It's still a good place for runners is you can avoid the roads with narrow or no shoulders. The drivers seem oblivious to pedestrians including runners. The residential streets are fine though and I have a nearby college campus to run on where traffic is not a problem. In addition there are several convenient local parks and Valley Forge NP to run in with many connecting trails.

I can find a race almost any weekend of the year, even in the dead of winter. There's a dearth of 10Ks but from prime racing season in the spring to the end in late fall I usually have several 5Ks and sometimes other distances each weekend to choose from. A couple local clubs also sponsor track meets which are an important part of running and racing for me, so I have indoor track meets and summer outdoor track meets to race my favorites distances, 800m and mile. I'm not interested in the mega races, but we have several that draw large fields including the Philadelphia Marathon, one of the top 10-milers in the country, the Broad Street Run, and the former PDR now known as the RnR Philadelphia HM.

There are quite a few running clubs in the area and I've been a member and active with one for the past 14 years. Several of them are also associated, at least indirectly, with local running stores so there's no lack of places to get running shoes and gear. One of them gives a discount to members of the club I belong to which is a nice perk.

Overall I think I have a pretty good area for running though I may complain about the weather now and then. The running environment would be a primary consideration if I were ever to decide to move.

I didn't realize you were near Philly. I had a really nice time running around Fairmount Park.

Sloooow.

I definitely don't live in a runner/walker friendly place. My road is a country road between two highways. I've had people pass me literally doing 40+mph, within a foot of me. The nearest park I can run in is 35 miles away. I die with jealousy seeing some of the beautiful places people here run in. Not to mention the weather is hideous for running in.

I lived in North-West England until I was 19. There was a 14 mile trail around the reservoirs we used to walk all the time. It would be amazing to run there. I took it for granted.

Little Blue

It's pretty nice, except for the summer heat.  I live on country roads that are too cambered for me.  But 5 minutes away is a rail trail that goes for something like 25 miles.  Which is about 20 miles more than I need it for. Blush  Within a 5 minute drive into our little tiny town are plenty of subdivisions with a variety of hills and flats, a bit of a greenway, and lots of sidewalks.  I can run many miles without have to make any treacherous road crossings.

If I really want to get frisky, I could drive 20 minutes into the big city and have more greenways than I care to count.  I haven't needed to do that yet.

Docket_Rocket

I've always felt we were twins. Ha.

I definitely don't live in a runner/walker friendly place. My road is a country road between two highways. I've had people pass me literally doing 40+mph, within a foot of me. The nearest park I can run in is 35 miles away. I die with jealousy seeing some of the beautiful places people here run in. Not to mention the weather is hideous for running in.

I lived in North-West England until I was 19. There was a 14 mile trail around the reservoirs we used to walk all the time. It would be amazing to run there. I took it for granted.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Near north Chicago 'burbs.  We live .5 mi from the cook county forest preserve North branch bike path which goes about 10 miles north and 5 miles south.  Another, longer forest preserve trail is 10 minutes west of us.   Evanston lakefront trail is also a 10 minute drive.  Winter only lasts about 9 months so we have 3 free indoor tracks 10 minutes away.  Works  for me.

ry8564

Oh definitely...I live on the Mississippi River (on the Iowa side). We have 12 miles of trails connecting the city parks (only have to cross a street maybe 4 times). The Park District actually clears the trails in the winter and keeps the restrooms open, so that's pretty nice. We also have the Great Mississippi River Trail on the Illinois side which is 60+ miles long.

RSX

I have lived near parts of the Boston Marathon most of my running life which is really cool. Now I am close enough to make Heartbreak Hill part of my long run, or head toward the Charles River. I'm not into trails but people come from a few towns away to run here. There are more runners in my area than any place I have lived, and part of that is because of the Charles.