Beginners and Beyond

Barely running related.....Lone Survivor.....Seriously....Go see it.... (Read 79 times)

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Just got back from seeing it with the fam & glad my kids got to see just how much the freedoms we enjoy daily cost those who pay the bill for it.

If you're a guy, it'll give you an adrenaline rush like you haven't felt since Rocky 2.

If you're a girl, bring tissue, you'll need it.

Seriously great & powerful story!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcus_Luttrell

http://www.lonesurvivorfilm.com/site

(P.S.  Gets the "barely running related" seal of approval as there is positively a footrace in the film)

Randy

happylily

Randy, is this the American/Hollywood version of a heroic story, or is it the real story as it happened? I don't mind either, but I like to know what it is I'm watching. Sounds like a movie that SO and his old Army buddies would enjoy a lot.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

n a m

1stBrn ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Unicrn

I'm reading the book.  At times it's hard to get through.  I hope they didn't sensationalize it and gave it the proper attention it deserves.

BTW I don't run very often.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

LRB

My son-in-law suggested I see it.  I have to do a little research on it first because I have no idea what it is about.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Randy, is this the American/Hollywood version of a heroic story, or is it the real story as it happened? I don't mind either, but I like to know what it is I'm watching. Sounds like a movie that SO and his old Army buddies would enjoy a lot.

I'm guessing there's a little sensationalizing as there are some things that are times tragically and some things timed perfectly that I'm guessing are more Hollywood than real-life, but nevertheless, it's legit even down to toward the end of the story where characters are introduced that are real-life and are shown in their real skin at the credits.

CRAZY, and I'm sure just one account of other crazy things that have happened out there.

The movie does a great job of putting the viewer AT THAT scene.  On that mountain with those guys and you feel yourself tense up & really never let go til the end of the movie at which point......well......it was kleenex time for my wife & girls.  They loved it.

Randy

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

My son-in-law suggested I see it.  I have to do a little research on it first because I have no idea what it is about.

Sidetrack:

SIL?!?!?  LRB?

happylily

Sidetrack:

SIL?!?!?  LRB?

LRB is a grandpa. Grandpa LRB. 

LRB

SIL?!?!?  LRB?

Times 2 actually.  Hard to fathom what with my sophomoric behavior around these parts. 

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

The makers of the movie took some pretty decent liberties with the movie that did not really happen as relayed in the book.  Slate did a decent write up of some of the big differences.

"Based on a true story" does not mean it happened as portrayed in the movie.

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

StartingOver42

faster than a glacier

These movies are always Hollywoodized to varying degrees. No big deal to me, I wouldn't expect a movie to be a literal retelling of the event, it's not a documentary. I always assume there are some liberties taken to format the story to fit the narrative style of a movie. There's always the book if I want the first hand account.

LRB

These movies are always Hollywoodized to varying degrees. No big deal to me, I wouldn't expect a movie to be a literal retelling of the event, it's not a documentary. I always assume there are some liberties taken to format the story to fit the narrative style of a movie. There's always the book if I want the first hand account.

The movie versions of 300, Immortals, and 47 Ronin come to mind.  None of which were true to the story in which they were based, and all subsequently received negatively by movie critics.  Yet taken on their own each had an appeal, to me anyway.

But that is from an admitted sheep, who is looking to be entertained while at the cinema, so take that for it's worth.  Probably 0.  ;-)

happylily

I also want to be entertained more than I want to be educated when I pay $10 to see a movie. But I want to know beforehand that I'm watching a story, not history. It's all in the way that the movie is presented.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Times 2 actually.  Hard to fathom what with my sophomoric behavior around these parts. 

yeesh, I started *laaaate* I have another 8-9 years before I even need to worry about her driving...

Re: Hollywoodized movies.

I grew up on a shooting range, helping repair firearms and generally have been around and done quite a bit of shooting in my time.  I have gotten to the age that I have a very tough time ignoring Hollywoods concepts of firearms, usage, depiction.

I would be seriously surprised if I didn't see at least a hand full of errors regarding that specifically in Lone Survivor.

LRB

yeesh, I started *laaaate* I have another 8-9 years before I even need to worry about her driving...

I would be seriously surprised if I didn't see at least a hand full of errors regarding that specifically in Lone Survivor.

On the first point; I was in parental bondage while you were free, now you are in parental bondage and I am free.  But truth be told, they never really go away so we never truly are free.  We can just say hell no with authority to any request they make once they become of age, and that my friend, is a day you will cherish trust me!

On the second point; from my background, electrical panels do not explode from a single shot from a hand gun.  In fact, you could probably shoot 100 rounds a day at one for a year and never get it to happen.  Of course, one would never know that based on what we see from Hollyrock.

StartingOver42

faster than a glacier

I also want to be entertained more than I want to be educated when I pay $10 to see a movie. But I want to know beforehand that I'm watching a story, not history. It's all in the way that the movie is presented.

I finally got a chance to see the movie today and it's very well done. There's no politics and no rah rah Go America stuff. Very tightly focused on these 4 soldiers and their mission. As for accuracy it's Hollywoodized somewhat but the author was very involved with the script and the filming, so there's that.