Beginners and Beyond

"According to Hoyle" It's Friday Penguins! (Read 20 times)

PADRunner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

According to Hoyle Day!

"My other legs are Kenyan."

-Seen on a bumper sticker

PADRunner

Morning Penguins. It's Friday

3.5 this morning with 8 x 400.

From the Internet.

Morning PAD and other penguins yet to come! 3 easy for me this morning. Put me just over 100 miles for the month of August with one long run left!

Docket_Rocket

According to whom?  Morning!  Due to time constraints and work, I had to run 5 miles this morning.  Now I want all the coffee in the world.  Pilates and heavy weights after work.

PAD, nice job on the run.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

I'm hoping that the reason there's no coffee here is that D actually has all the coffee in the world now.  But I suspect that it's because DD drank it all and didn't say anything. 

Last night's run was hard.  I got home late, and when I do quality work after dark, I generally run the 2-mile loop around my neighborhood.  I just wanted to go home and crawl into bed!  I kept wanting to stop, but I did keep going.  I faded in the last few miles, but at least I did run the miles.  Today I have 7 easy after work.

PAD- I could use a set of Kenyan legs myself!

Lauren- Nice mileage!  Good news from the doc!  Is it a 5K race that you're targeting?

D- Good job getting the run in early!  It's hard for me to run mornings when I'm used to evenings.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  Well, today should be calmer with fewer people to bug me, so hopefully I can get in a WAW this afternoon.  I could really use it -- between the idiot drivers on my commute this morning and an argument about misogyny with a FB friend, I am a towering inferno of rage.  I told my husband this morning that I was very grumpy.  He said, "I'm sorry!"  I told him I wasn't exactly looking for sympathy, it was more that I was giving him a heads-up.  He said, "Ok, that works too!"  

PAD -- woo-hoo for intervals!!

Lauren -- nice miles!!

Docket -- You can't have all the coffee in the world, because I had a cup.  So there!

Zelanie -- DD is just not right!!  Love the thundercloud, that's how I feel today!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Morning, Penguins!!  Well, today should be calmer with fewer people to bug me, so hopefully I can get in a WAW this afternoon.  I could really use it -- between the idiot drivers on my commute this morning and an argument about misogyny with a FB friend, I am a towering inferno of rage.  I told my husband this morning that I was very grumpy.  He said, "I'm sorry!"  I told him I wasn't exactly looking for sympathy, it was more that I was giving him a heads-up.  He said, "Ok, that works too!"  

PAD -- woo-hoo for intervals!!

Lauren -- nice miles!!

Docket -- You can't have all the coffee in the world, because I had a cup.  So there!

Zelanie -- DD is just not right!!  Love the thundercloud, that's how I feel today!

GIVE IT TO ME!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

hog4life

5 miles, then coffee, now mowing, then work.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Z: I need the little guy with the cloud. That is how I feel today. Just "bleh..."

I want to go for a run but it is too darn hot. Of course, it's not Scotty hot, but anything over 90 is too hot for me.  We shall see about a run tonight. If it "cools off" to the 80s I will likely go out for a few miles.

Have a good weekend, Pens.

tracilynn

Morning penguins!

congrats Mitch! I remember being devastated the day you announced the cancer on the old RW forum. I had just "met" you and it just really scared me.

I did 3 miles this morning.

I will have to DNS my 5K tomorrow morning because they moved my little boys first baseball game up and I can't miss it.  It was a free race though so yeah not too upsetting.  Still getting my free tshirt

~~~~~~~

Traci

Singer who runs a smidge

GIVE IT TO ME!

I don't think you want it at this point! 

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good morning PAD.

great month, Lauren!

Have a good workout tonight, D.

Glad you got the miles in last night, Zel.

Sorry, HsM  Smile

Busy day, Mitch.

It's not too hot for a beer,, Jack.

Enjoy the game, Traci.

Too dewey for a LR, so we did 3.  DD2 is visiting for a few days.  Must not have any parties to go to.

Have a great Labor Day weekend.

GinnyinPA

PAD -  I hope you enjoyed your intervals this a.m.

Lauren - good job on the 100 miles.  I haven't done that for a while now.  I need to start though or my pace bunny is going to outrun me.

Damaris - hope you got your caffeine fix.  Good luck on your race this weekend.

Z - love the thundercloud.  I hope you got some coffee too.  Good job doing your run even though you really didn't want to.  I think that's one of the things that scares me about marathon training:  the need to do the miles, no matter what.  It takes discipline and it takes a very strong desire to do well on your race.  You've shown that you have both.

HopesMom - I warm my husband too, when I'm in a really bad mood.  I hope you get your walk in today.

Mitch - that's a busy day.  Don't fall asleep at work. 

Jack - I hope it cools off for you soon.  I wouldn't want to be out in 90 plus either, even without humidity. 

Tracilynn - sorry about missing your race, but a kid's first game is more important. Have fun.

Jerry - hope your daughter's visit is fun.  Have a good weekend.

AFM:  I'll do 4 or 5 later this afternoon.  It's cooler today (high of 79), so I'll enjoy running outside.

Robert31320

Team TJ

A short 1.5 miles for me this morning to commemorate how it all started for me 3 years ago today.

Running for TJ because he can't.

hog4life

Morning penguins!

congrats Mitch! I remember being devastated the day you announced the cancer on the old RW forum. I had just "met" you and it just really scared me.

I did 3 miles this morning.

I will have to DNS my 5K tomorrow morning because they moved my little boys first baseball game up and I can't miss it.  It was a free race though so yeah not too upsetting.  Still getting my free tshirt

Thanks! Just 7 days prior, on Aug 21, the GI Dr told me it was cancer. I haven't cried as much since my mother died. It was the most awful, gut wrenching feeling in the world. I tried to run that night, and it was just terrible, but gave me some peace. I would run for a bit, stop and cry for a bit, run for a bit, stop to pray for a bit. The cycle went on for more than a couple of hours. I think I needed that to help me remember why I need to keep fighting. I really do appreciate your kindness.