Beginners and Beyond

Saturday Penguins Know That Every Day Is A New Day! (Read 35 times)

GinnyinPA

Dave - nice going , running the race anyway, and getting the afterparty too.  Were there any other runners out with you?

Damaris - that sounds on the edge of too hot, though I suppose you're used to it.

Bin - hopefully tomorrow's run will happen, but sometimes you need to listen to your body.

N-bug - it's odd, but I noticed too that after the past week, 20 deg. and sunny feels balmy.  I'm sure you'll enjoy the trail run, especially if you're one of the first through.

Zelanie - back to backs are a good test.  Have fun.

Awood - hope your run in the snow goes well.  A lot depends on how deep and how icy it is.  Too deep and you have to lift your knees higher than you're used to, too icy and you're so busy keeping from falling it stops being fun.  Good luck.

AFM - I shoveled snow off the driveway this morning - only two inches of very fluffy powder so it went quickly.  In a little while we're heading to the park to let our Golden Ret. play in the snow on his long leash.  He loves it.  It's a rest day, and I'm glad of it.  Though my tm hills weren't that big, my body felt it more than I expected.

Sloooow.

Gustav- We don't have temperatures close to yours down here, can't imagine how draining it is. You need a blanket and hot chocolate day. Very nice job on pushing through your workout though!

Jerry- Hope you manage to get out to the track. Enjoy your weekend!

Bin- sorry you missed your run, I'm sure the extra sleep was welcome though.

Docket- Hope the chiro was "gentle" with you Smile I will live vicariously through your busy day, lol.

N-Bug- little bit jealous of your snow, it sounds beautiful. It's 70F here today. Hope your run went well.

Zelanie- Glad your 10 miler went well! Have fun with the cake. I've tried making birthday cakes before, and well, I'm just glad my oldest is still young lol.

Lauren- Enjoy your RD! Good luck with the mile tomorrow Smile

Awood- Cutting down internet time is generally a good thing, but still glad to see you around! No suggestions for the run, if it were like that outside here I would be in bed wrapped in a duvet.

Dave- Sorry the 15K was cancelled, what a bummer. Have fun at the after party though, you definitely deserve it after running 9 miles anyway!

Ginny- Sounds like a lovely rest day so far. I've definitely had days where I felt incline much more the next day.

I'm hoping for 2.7 miles later today, that would give me 12 total for the week. My current "record" mileage is 10.2 miles. There is a girl on my Facebook who has started run/walking the last few weeks. I was talking to her about weight loss and stuff, and mentioned I was hoping to have 12 miles for the week. She replied that in 4 days she had 24 miles, lol. I'm seeing why all her Facebook posts are about agony and shin splints. It's taken me 7 months to be where I am, and I'm very proud of my slow progress.

TooStupidToStop

Rach^

Howdy Penguins!

Well, I started getting some knee pain yesterday, so I am going to cut back on working out. I don't want to re-injure it. Of course it doesn't help that it is NEGATIVE 47° outside with freezing fog. Weather like that makes me want to stay inside and snuggle. Big grin

Jen16226

Good afternoon all.

Snowy here too.  We wound up with about 4 inches, but we have some ice under some of that so I scratched running outside this weekend and today was my longest run yet with 5 miles.  I am pretty excited about it.  I just kept it in my mind to stay at that slow pace and wound up doing it in 62 mins.  I didn't think that was so bad and I noticed something else....I actually think I enjoy the longer runs better.

I need to shower up and bring my 5K application up to the YMCA for a race on 2-9.  I had been planning to do one down in Pittsburgh(about 50 miles from me) and then I stumbled across one being held on the same day only a town over from me.  And even better is my daughter and step daughter both want to run too. My SD will get it done in about 24 minutes (she is on the cross country team) while DD will probably stick with me or go a little ahead of me.  Fun though!!!!  Tonight DH and I are heading to a "Night at the races" fundraiser for the HS hockey team and that should be fun.

Gustav- Great job pushing through the workout!

Jerry- Enjoy your day!

Bin- Hope you get the 11 miles in tomorrow.

Damaris- Good Luck on your marathon tomorrow!

N-Bug- Hope you had a nice run.

Lauren- Have a good day!

Zelanie- I hope your legs felt good today.  What are you making a cake for?  I am usually the neighborhood baker LOL

Awood- Hopefully you did the 13 miles today and can somehow opt for a treadmill tomorrow for the 8 or get it in before the ice comes.  I am getting that tomorrow evening.  I have the GTS-13's and I love them....but then again, being a new runner, I really do not have anything to compare it to!

Dave- At least you had an enjoyable run.  Have fun at the lunch.

Ginny- You are lucky that you have a dog that enjoys the snow! LOL  I have a VERY prissy Sheltie that I need to shovel a path just for her to do business.  God forbid she should have to touch the snow.

Coralie- I agree on the slow and steady rate.  Beginners like us have no need to break the land speed record.

Have a great day

Goals for 2013:

Run 10K Race- ACCOMPLISHED!!!!

Run HM

RACES:

2-9 Kittanning Rotary Club 5K 44:38 on ice UGH

3-9 New Port Richey, Fl Pasco Challenge 10K- 1:22:55

5-12 Komen Pittsburgh Race for the Cure 5K

7-6 Ford City Heritage Days 5K

8-4 Pittsburgh Rock n Roll 1/2 Marathon

9-29 Richard S.Caliguri City of Pittsburgh Great Race 5K

Jen2011

Busy next few weeks at work for me.  No days off for me until February 9, so I have to get creative to get my runs in.  Did my LR this morning since I don't work until later this afternoon, and I have to work first thing in the morning when I would usually do my LR.  11 miles done.

Have a great day everyone, and good luck Damaris on your race tomorrow!

Jen

Upcoming races:

Covenant Health Knoxville 5K 4/7/13 (and cheering on DH for his 1st Marathon!!)

Rock and Roll Chicago Half Marathon 7/21/13

Tower of Terror Ten Miler 10/5/13

Hey Doc

Feets don't fail me now

Hey Everyone!

Glad to see everyone doing fairly well (minus the re-inuries Sad ) .  Bin, sleep does a body good!  I have been really mindful about getting sleep with this awful influenza outbreak because I just can't afford to get sick.

Running has really taken a backseat past couple weeks but I'm doing 5on the TM shortly.

Have a great Saturday!

Liz

Hi all!

I took a running break due to a chest cold, then was promoted at work, and today was my first day running in almost two weeks. The timing of the break was good because it was -35 or so when I would have been running, but my new work schedule is messing me up. I am used to working second shift so getting up at 5:30 just feels wrong. This past week it was 10 hours or so at work, plus another 1-2 hours commuting depending on traffic each day. Since my husband works from home he needs me to take over with the kids as soon as I get home. I would rather run in the mornings instead of after the kids go to bed, so it looks like I'll be seeing 4:30am more often than I'd like. But if it lets me get my workouts (sanity breaks) in without impacting my family's schedule, I'd say it is worth it. I guess I better get used to running in the dark!

I ran today. It was warmer than it has been (-5 today), but I could not get warmed up. I ended up cutting my run short so I did less than 2 miles. I'm still not completely over the chest cold, which didn't help. Short of an injury, I can pretty much guarantee my next run will be better. Smile

SheCan

Got 6 windy miles in today.  Thought I was going to blow away!

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

-47 and freezing fog?!   Um, yeah... I'd take up Olympic couch perching.  Forget that!  LOL

AFM - 13 on the trails.  I even stopped at work to grab a drink of water and sign some paperwork I forgot to get to yesterday.  Most of the run was on groomed trails which make it much easier.  However, part of it was on sloppy sidewalks and 2 miles on ungroomed trail which made for rough going.  VERY slow pace comparatively but, trust me, it was a workout.  Damaris, I will be down your direction (Ft Lauderdale) in two weeks, I'll TRY to bring some but don't hold your breath.  LOL

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

4 mile indoor track run with DW.  Track was nice and quiet today.  First had to go to Binny's for their wine sale (and more Shiner Beer).

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Zelanie

Ginny- Enjoy the doggie play day!  Mine might not get any snow days this year, boo!

Coralie- Glad you're building up gradually.  That reminds me of somebody I know who joined Weight Watchers the same day that I did.  She lost more quickly than I did and was bragging up and down about her progress.  But she couldn't stick with it.  So although I felt like I was living in her shadow for a little while, I'm happy that I ended up where I am today.

Rach- Take care of that knee!

Jen16226- The cake is for my daughter, who is turning 15 tomorrow.  How fun that your family is going to run a race together!

Jen2011- Nice job working the schedule to get the runs in!

Doc- Good to see you again!

Mickey- I did my first 5AM run this week.  I've been dreading the day that I would have do do that for months, but in the end it got me off to a really great start because I was wide awake and ready to go afterwards!

Cherie- Nice run!

Vance- Good job in the snow!

Jerry- Glad you were able to beat the traffic today.

Scotty- Congrats on the race!

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I got the 13 in today, and even tacked on the extra .1 for good measure.  The GTS 13's seems to handle better in the snow.  I ended up with exactly a 10 mm pace.  Everything felt good, but my belly is still bright red.  I'm going to go warm up.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

TooStupidToStop

Rach^

-47 and freezing fog?!   Um, yeah... I'd take up Olympic couch perching.  Forget that!  LOL

My DH said that is why he now has an Xbox 360 ... for days like this.

I don't find it that bad, but then again I wouldn't go out and run a half marathon in it either. 

I was wondering if anyone did yoga. My legs are tighter than hell since I've been up here and I need to do something about it. Not a big fan of yoga, but something has to give!

Zelanie

Rach- Steph was our resident expert on yoga for runners.  You can probably find her on the RWOL facebook group, since I don't think she posts here too often any more.