Beginners and Beyond

National Apple Pie Day Tuesday Penguins (Read 26 times)

obiebyke

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

obiebyke

I seriously don't even know if these holidays are real. I don't check my Google sources. Shhh! Bad librarian!

Yesterday's 25 minute run went well. The increased cadence is hard! My lower legs were burning. Today I'm doing a Bodypump class for the 2nd time. My gym is having a member appreciation event, so every time you go take a class, you get a raffle ticket. Winners will be chosen at a party tomorrow. There's a pair of airline tickets up for grabs!

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  My breathing was OK enough last night to make the 6 miler comfortable and not too slow.  Today, it's Pilates and 6-7 miles tonight.

obie, nice run yesterday.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Actually, I don't like apple pie - or any pie for that matter, except maybe Eskimo Pie - so I won't be celebrating this day.

Was so busy yesterday at work, didn't even manage to get on the forum all day.  After I got home we had major thunderstorms around here, which pretty much lasted all night and into the early morning hours. Got lots of rain which we need badly.  Quite a light show too, with all the lightning.  One house locally got its chimney struck by lighting and ended up with $60K worth of damage to the house, dang.  No one hurt, thank goodness.

I had a nice weekend.  Did a 5K on Saturday - https://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/6e78a53aaad14e2484464b58187d2964/resume#focus - this one, always a very moving event each year as it is in memory of children who died for whatever reason.   Sunday, I had a nice 4.1 mile run/walk on the San Antonio Riverwalk. Love running on the riverwalk early Sunday morning, it is very peaceful as most of the 'touristas' are usually sleeping in until later and nothing really opens on the riverwalk on Sunday until about 10 a.m.  Passed a few early-bird folks sitting on outdoor cafe patios eating breakfast and one couple who were getting some wedding photos done along the Riverwalk.  I stopped running and sedately walked by them, jokingly telling them "I will walk by you slowly so I don't throw my sweat all over you." 

Today's plan is for 3 - 4 miles at a local park, if our stormy weather does not start up again.  I will run in just about any kind of weather, but if there is a lot of lightning out there, forget it.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Dad on the run.

Jim: Guys, uh, what exactly does third base feel like?

Kevin: You want to take this one?

Chris "Oz" Ostreicher: Like warm apple pie.

HAHAHA! Hey guys, just a very quick check-in while at work. Everything is going great at home, Lucas is growing like a weed and I'm finally getting a handle on running again, I've been so tired it's been hard to get out there.

Mitch - You still going to be at the Cotton Row this year? Let me know! If not I may not even come, I haven't got to train for it like I had hoped so now the only real reason to come is to hang out for a bit Smile

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Zelanie

Morning, everyone!  Jimmy, it just hasn't been the same here without your humor. 

If my 7 miler today is even half as enjoyable as the one I ran yesterday, then it will be a good day.  It was 20 degrees warmer than the weekend temps, but after a couple of miles, it felt pretty good.  I got  home in time to watch the Blazers finally get a win in over the Spurs, yay!

Obie- Good luck at the raffle!  I should probably increase my cadence, too, but haven't really even measured it yet.

D- Glad you're feeling better.

Scotty- Sounds like your rainstorms are a lot more intense than ours!  Glad it wasn't too severe.

Jimmy- Good to see you!

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  This is a crazy time for Apple Pie day, as apples won't even be ripe until fall.  If you buy apples now they've probably been in cold storage all winter.  Anyway ....  So my walk was fine last night, except that I looked at my watch after 15 minutes and said, "I'm bored now!!"  Clearly I have lost all mental stamina.  Office yoga and another walk tonight!!

obie -- hope you win the raffle!!

Docket -- glad your lungs are cooperating!!

scotty -- glad you got some rain, and hope the light show stays off today!!

jblack -- glad life is coming together for you!!  Don't worry, it'll fall apart again soon enough!!

Zelanie -- glad your run went so well!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I'm working on an Awood awareness week, but I need a ribbon design.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

SRD for me and I hate posting from the phone. Today at school I have to give the "puberty" talk with my 6th grade boys. Funny stuff...

GinnyinPA

I love apple pie, especially hot with ice cream.  But then, I pretty much love anything sweet.

Obiebyke - good luck with the raffle and the class tonight.  I've counted cadence on the TM, never while running on the street.  I'm pretty close to 180, if I'm running at a tempo pace.  Not sure about when I'm warming up.

Damaris - I'm glad your lungs are behaving.  Better weather or is the medication kicking in?  Have a good run tonight.

Scotty - I'm glad you're getting some much needed rain.  We had thunder in the middle of the night, which set Ben to barking.  He thinks it's fireworks, and he hates fireworks.  Have a cool run this evening.

Jimmy - nice to have you back.  I hope you get back to more consistent running.

Z - I'm glad you had such a good run yesterday, despite the heat.  I hope today is as good -- or better.

Jack - good luck giving "the talk".  I don't envy you.

HM - Funny how we sometimes forget how to relax and flow with the slow pace of walking.  I sometimes think, "Instead of hiking at 2 mph, I could just do this at 5 and be done all the sooner."  Then I remember, oh yes, the point is to just relax and enjoy a few hours in the woods with DH and Ben.  Faster isn't better, unless I'm racing.  Going from short walks to longer hikes also takes some getting used to, when I haven't done it for a while.  My longest run so far is 2 1/2 hours.  When our hikes were 4 or 5 miles, it wasn't that different.  But now we're increasing distance, getting in shape for summer hiking.  My longest recent hike was 7 hours.  It needs a different mindset.

Hi Awood.  Running today?

AFM:  probably a treadmill day.  I'd like to do a tempo run and it's hot and humid outside.  85 feels like 92.  One of those days where you're drenched in sweat as soon as you walk out the door.  I'll enjoy it more in the cool basement.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

obiebyke - Every day on the calendar has multiple holidays associate with it now.  It almost seems counterproductive, but it can be fun I guess.

DocketRocket -  It's good to hear that you're still breathing.  Enjoy your workout.  I hope the air isn't too oppressive today.

Scotty - I always assume that whatever the food is, you wouldn't like it...lol  You could have been Mikey in those old, "Mikey likes it", commercials.

jblack - It's good to hear that the little guy is doing well.  Is he running yet?  Too soon?  I don't know anything about children or how they develop.  I was an odd child myself.  I was eating solid food in the hospital, and meat as soon as I got home.  I'm told that's weird.

Zel - I don't watch basketball, but I listen to ESPN radio.  I feel like I've heard this Spurs story over and over again over the years.  When they're making a run in the playoffs....LOOK OUT!

Jack - I do not envy you one bit.  Watching me in the same room with a child is like watching someone who found themselves in the room with a rodeo bull.  Children terrify me.

Ginny - Yep.  I'll probably take the new shoes out on their second run tonight.  I loved running in them yesterday.  I'm thinking 6-8 miles.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

on my way to badass

Good Afternoon Penguins!

Obie-  If you win the tickets, where you gonna go?

DR- Congrats on the not too slow run.  Glad you are feeling a little bit better.

Scotty- What about blueberry pie?

Jblack- Don't blink, they grow sooo fast.

Z- Glad you had a nice run and I hope the next one is just as nice:-)

HsM- I agree, it's the wrong time of year for apple pie day.

Awood- HiViz ribbon!

JackK- Have fun with "the talk".

Ginny- Enjoy the TM workout!

AFM- Got 3 in this morning.  I really tried to take it easy so I didn't feel the need to walk.  I have a few weeks of just running until I start my HM training program.  Weather is being consistently nice right now.  Got to work on my RR.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

obiebyke

I would probably go to the Bay Area to visit my sister and niece. That would be fabulous. I haven't been back in over 2 years.

Obie-  If you win the tickets, where you gonna go?

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Thanks for starting thing, obiebyke.  Good luck with the raffle!  And for those that don't win...you have to take more classes!

Good luck with your pilates and miles, Damaris. You know...if you ran around the pilates class doing your pilates exercises, you could get the pilates and run done at the same time.

Glad you're getting a handle on your running again, Jimmy.  I'm sure you are quite busy and tired between Lucas and work and trying to get some hours of sleep in between all that.

Yeah, Zelanie, the Spurs decided to take it easy last night so they could finish up the series with a win at home.   You must have got our warmer weather, it left us last night when the rain came in.  It was only 61 degrees this morning during the drive-time to work.

Well, HsM, maybe you could sing some or your chorus stuff while walking to help you keep from getting bored. And sing out loud of course so all the folks around you as you go by can join in. 

Jack, I hope the your class talk went puberty well,...er pretty well.

Funny, Ginny, that Ben thinks thunder is fireworks.  I guess it is in a way.   You would have to acclimatize to outside running here, Ginny, in those kind of temps...because Texans don't have basements.

StoneFence:  I don't like blueberries or blueberry pie.  I don't like any kind of pie.  The only type of berries I really like are raspberries. Which is kinda funny because I don't like strawberries, but my favorite ice cream is strawberry.  Good luck with your upcoming HM program!

Awood, what does an "Awood Awareness Week" entail?   Here you go, you should get one of these.  Then you can say "This is A-Wood Awareness Ribbon..."  

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Afternoon all.  Yesterday was a rest day for me so I just did a tiny bit of biking around the city.  Today I have 4 on tap but I'm having trouble getting out the door.  I don't like to run between 10-3 when the sun is really intense, so I guess I'm now in the after 3pm time frame.  I'm trying to figure out what plan I should follow after my HM this Saturday.  I just want to work on building up my mileage in a sane way.

obie - I did body pump for a few years but the high reps started destroying my shoulders.  But it is a fun class for sure.

DR - nice job on the miles

scotty - your RRs are always great :-)

jblack - have you been managing to get any running done?

Zel - good luck with your miles

HsM - how's office yoga?

Awood - I'd cast a vote for some neon pink ribbons ;-)

Jack - enjoy the puberty talk.  As a fresh faced 22 year old teacher I had to teach year long sex ed to inner city high school seniors... It was quite the experience for me.

Ginny - the heat is going to turn me into a morning runner... (I hope)

SF - nice job getting 3 done :-)

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21)