Beginners and Beyond

Oak Barrel Half Marathon RR w/ FE (Read 81 times)

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I won't waste a bunch of time on my recent struggles, but I came into this race having had a couple of 2014 stinker 5k's.  The polar vortex and every sequel that mother nature threw at us made for some tough training.  We had double digit sub-zero temps, about 10 feet of snow and all of that good stuff.  During this time, I was trying to prepare for a race without a specific plan.  I'd never done that before, but wanted to try it.

The two races left me with some doubt, but chest congestion really took the wind out of my sail 2 weeks before the race.  I had also been dealing with some back issues, which really came to a head last week.  It got so bad that my back was locking up on me.  Luckily, I was able to reach a chiropractor that I knew, and he thought he could get me straightened out enough to run.  We just had to hope that sitting in a car from Northern Indiana to Tennessee didn't undo all of the good he was planning to work.

Well, I survived the drive, and spent most of the night on my feet.  I wanted to keep moving, and not let things tighten up.  If I was standing, I was sitting for a short period or laying down.  I knew that if I could make it the first couple of miles, everything would loosen up.  That's a good thing, because I had to get it loosened up before I hit Whiskey Hill.

Whiskey Hill

I woke up feeling alright, and was prepared for the temps to be better than at home.  I picked some gear that I had raced in before that I trusted, and fit the weather.  My wife was sick.  So, I let her sleep.  My mother-in-law drove me to the starting line where I met up with Hog4Life.

We took some photos, discussed running and life in general before heading out for a short warmup run.  Then, we headed to the starting line for an awesome rendition of the National Anthem.  It was right in front of a tiny church, and I'll admit that I had goose bumps.  Mitch and I handed our shirts off to his family, and Connie was nice enough to hold them until after the race.

The race started, and we were off.  I had thrown out all time goals because of my training difficulties and the issues I had during the two previous weeks.  I was running beside Mitch, and we didn't talk much.  The pace felt good, and I thought it was one that I could maintain.  My back was loosened up, and back roads of Tennessee were great.  The sun was shining.

I know Mitch recently ran a great 5K, and I wanted to make sure that I wasn't holding him up.  So, I jockeyed my position a couple of times.  I'd fall behind a couple of steps or take advantage of a slight downhill section and move a couple of steps ahead.  Once I was confident that he was running his own pace, I just settled in.

After 2 miles, our splits were pretty consistent.  I didn't see Mitch much after that, but I'll let him tell you about that.  Without talking to anyone, I did kind of fall in with a group.  I got a bit of comic relief when a guy came from behind with music playing from his armband.  I'm pretty sure it was Guns N Roses.  He was kind of average build, and maybe 5'6", somewhat of an afro with big sideburns, and some sort of a goat-T, a headband and of course a cotton t-shirt.  He and his buddy seemed to be having a great time.

You can see in my splits that it was starting to get steeper around mile 4.

1 - 8:23

2 - 8:20

3 - 8:30

4 - 9:03

Mile 5 is where Whiskey Hill came in.  Oh my.  It's pretty darn steep, but you can see the switchback as you get closer and most are walking after the turn.  A few brave souls are trying to run it.  I found that I could power hike it, and still keep up with brave runners.  I did my best Oprah Winfrey power walk, and watched as a woman lost her breakfast toward the top.  I'm okay with my decision.

5 - 10:31

6 - 8:19

Nobody tells you about the hill at the 10K mark.  It may not be as impressive, but after Whiskey Hill, I wasn't not too excited about this one either.  Yet, I felt a bit more comfortable attacking this one.

7 - 8:35

8 - 8:20

What goes up, must come down.  Mile 9 is where gravity joined team AWood, and helped me make up some time.

9 - 7:45

10 - 7:51

11 - 8:02

12 - 8:18

13 - 8:21

.21 - 1:40

I came around the final turn, and they announced my name and where I was from.  This tiny downtown area was packed with people cheering.  There was music and the food smelled great.  There's only one road into town, and my family had a hard time getting to the finish line.  They missed it, but I stopped my watch and was pleased to see that even though I had missed a PR I had run my second fastest HM.

1:51:58

AG 30/73

OA 166/1181

Judging by those numbers, they had a lot of people who didn't finish.  I was one happy camper though.

I followed up the race with a tour of Jack Daniels.  If you've ever wondered where your Whiskey comes from.  Here is the water that makes Jack great.

Here's my wife and MIL with Jack on the rocks.

Later, Mitch and Connie met up with us back at the house we rented.  That may have been one of my favorite parts of the trip.  We had a couple of beers and relaxed, and talked about future races.

Finally, I took a bit of time to myself in the hot tub.

It was a great event.  I'm a little sore, but I expected that.  I went in to the chiropractor today.  He said the car ride probably set me back a little bit, but I'm still in much better shape than I was last week.  This is a race that I'd definitely do again.  I had a lot of fun, and would love to spend more time exploring the town.  Meeting Mitch was awesome.  I hope we get the opportunity to run together again.  I can't wait to read his race report.

Thanks for reading!

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Pinktastic

AWood, I'm sorry that your back has been so bad lately - I know how miserable that can be!   I think you ran a very smart race and you did Pinktacularly well!   Given better weather for training and no back issues, and I bet you could PR this course!

Love, love, love all the pics!    Thanks for sharing!

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Thanks Pink!  I think I'll have some awesome PR's before the year is over.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Docket_Rocket

Great job and FE!  Considering all your issues, you did awesome!  And second fastest HM to boot!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Congrats on your half, and glad the back issues did not hold you..ummm....back!    Wow, that is some darn elevation for that event! They should have rewarded you with a glass of Jack at the finish line!

Glad you had a hot tub to soak in after, that house you rented looks like it is in a very pretty area from the photos.  Nice you had an FE too!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Considering your recent setbacks, there is nothing wrong with your time. And that HILL!! Wow, that looks steep. Aren't FEs the coolest? If this race even takes place on my spring break, you can bet that I will fly out there and join you and Hog. That looks like a great trip. Great stuff, Awood.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Docket - I almsot forgot that it was also my 7th race state!  Not bad for under 2 years.

Scotty -Its funny.  They can't serve alcohol in Lynchburg.  You can buy a commemorative bottle with whiskey in it.  You just can't drink it there.

Jack - I could see you with that barrel lid AG award.  Just let me get a picture with it.  That house has 3 king beds and 2 or 3 futons.  It would cost almost nothing it we split it 3 ways.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

outoftheblue

With all the set-backs, you ran a great race.  That hill profile looks tough.  Congrats!

Life is good.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Don't suppose you get a beer at this race???   This might be a destination race for us since BIL is in Knoxville.  We do like renting the cabins out there.  Maybe next year.  CNGRATS  !!!!

HobbitLegs

elevenses

Loved your RR, Awood. I'm so happy you had a great time and ran a strong race, especially with all you dealt with lately. It is rather ironic that Lynchburg is in a dry county!

Congrats on the race! Sorry your back has been giving you issues lately. Loved reading your report and the pictures. Smile

5k - 25:15 (11/18/12)

10k - 1:01:51 (2/14/15)

10mi - 1:33:18 (3/2/14)

HM - 2:06:12 (3/24/13)

Upcoming Races:

Benched until further notice. :/

Everything you need is already inside. [[Bill Bowerman]]

GinnyinPA

Congratulations on such a good race after your very hard winter.  I'm glad your back didn't keep you from running this.

happylily

That's a very encouraging finish time after what you've been through. Well done! That hill was a monster! It's great that you met with Mitch and his wife and the pics all turned out great. Thanks for sharing!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

PADRunner

Nice race. The hill looks like you need a ladder!

SheCan

Awesome job, Awood!    Even with the troubles you've had, you ran an excellent race.  That hill looks huge!  Power hiking it was probably the smart idea.  Love the pictures, and it's wonderful to you and wife were able to meet up with Mitch and his DW also!  Thank you for sharing the pictures.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson