Beginners and Beyond

THWEATIN' THURSDAY PENGUINS (Read 20 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!).

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

It  ith flippin' hot in Than Antonio....tho hot our tongues are thickening up and we are all thweatin' buckets!    Our area will probably finally hit 100 degrees or over, actual temp, this weekend.

Relief, relief, please, relief!

Crazy Wednesday,  I did double duty.  Did 3.4 miles at Fort Sam Houston in the morning.  Then after work I went down to Brackenridge Park by the San Antonio Zoo and participated in the 2-mile Zoo Fun Run, put on by my running club, the San Antonio Roadrunners.  This event started at 6:30 pm.  At start time it was a 'cool' 95 degrees with a heat index of near 103, sheesh!  Glad the park trails had lots of nice shade trees!   It was hot, but I did okay.  I ended up doing the 2 miles in 21:36, not speedy by any means, but I did beat 11 minute miles - just barely, lol - which was my goal.   I went home after the run and took a nice COLD shower, which felt great.  It was still warm though....at 10 PM, it was still 91 degrees around here!  We will probably hit 100 this weekend.

Today will be another warm one. I am getting off work early today to get an estimate on a new fence for our house, and then I will head over to the park nearby where I live and do about 3 easy miles of trails there.   Predicted temp for my run time will be around 96 degrees.

Slymoon, if you are around today, I responded to your message you left me.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

PADRunner

Morning scotty etal...

We haven't had the real heat quit yet, 78 at at 5 this morning but it's due any day now.

4 done this morning, no skunks just armadillos this morning.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  Still feeling under the weather.  Pilates and a massage today.

Damaris

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Morning!  Still feeling under the weather.  Pilates and a massage today.

I'm not even feeling under the weather & I'd vote for that myself!! 

Probably gonna hit the bike today as weights were yesterday & heading to Hawaii in 2 days where I'm sure I'll get a few awesome runs in!!

Tropical island running...........

Randy

hog4life

10 planned after work with some tempo miles thrown in.

red, enjoy your trip. Take some pictures to share

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  I have a crick in my neck, which is annoying, but DH is feeling much better, so that's all good!  He was even able to mow the lawn yesterday, and since we hadn't done it since before our trip, it was getting pretty shaggy.  Chorus rehearsal tonight!!

Scotty -- woo-hoo for your zoo run, and good luck with the hot run today!!

PAD -- glad your run was skunk-free!!

Docket -- have a good massage!!  I may need to schedule me one of those!

redrum -- enjoy the trip!!  I've never been, but I bet it's awesome!!

hog -- good luck with your 10!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Bin Running

6x800@10k with warm up. Total of 7.5M. Finally finding some consistency.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Zelanie

Back in the saddle again today.  10.4 w/ 7 at MP.  Well, I dialed it back a notch because it felt really humid.  Then I got home and the weather report seems to disagree. Just "normal" 77 F, 63 dewpoint, not really terrible.

Bin Running

Good job, Mel. That's some tough workout.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

obiebyke

Mornin'. Bailed on the run yesterday in favor of alone time and getting my house in order a bit. We'll see if I can get myself out there today. Z, send some of your mojo my way!

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

Z: Great run!

Scotty: Be careful in that heat.

5 easy miles for me. I had a massage two days ago and ran 7 great miles that night. Yesterday I woke up and my right hamstring felt all tweaked, from my knee all the way up into the butt cheek. I could barely manage two miles and thought I was injured. Today it felt better and had a decent five. Strange, that. All I know is that my HM next month is shot to hell and a PR is highly unlikely. On Sunday DW and I are off to Mammoth Lakes, CA with DD's XC team for some high elevation training. We are chaperones once again. DD is a senior this year so this will be our last time. It should be a week of fun and some good runs.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Health club for me today.  Ran 15 minutes on the lateral elliptical and a few other strength machines.  Knees were achy today, so no run.  Want to stay healthy for the 10K on Saturday.  Forecast is now for hot and storms, so we have fingers and toes crossed.

Singer who runs a smidge

I just looked outside, and it's pouring rain.  Guess there's no need to carefully fold up my umbrella and stow it in my backpack!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

SheCan

PAD and Scotty, hang in there.  Maybe we should all take up swimming instead?

DR-- I'm sorry you're still feeling poorly.  What's going on anyway?  Is it the asthma?

RedRum-- Hawaii?   You lucky thing you!   I'm surprised you can worry about any of the mundane things like running with that trip on the horizon.

Mitch-- yikes, enjoy your tough workout.  Hope the heat isn't bad for you.

HsM-- Glad DH is up and back to doing his chores.  Enjoy chorus tonight.  (YAY@ rain! I'm jealous!)

Bin-- glad you're feeling more consistent now.  That's no small achievement for parents with young children.

Jack-- all those trips just sound so fun!  Good luck to you DD,and hope the aches stay away.

obie-- if Z sends you mojo, you gotta share with the rest of us.

Jerry-- hopefully you'll get just enough rain to cool things off for this weekend.  Glad you're taking it easy until then.

Warm sunny day today, and I took another day off.   Don't judge me ,  I wanna enjoy our warm weather, not torture myself in it!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson