Beginners and Beyond

Would you ever run a marathon on a whim? (UPDATED with results) (Read 110 times)

onemile

Would you ever run a marathon on a whim without training for it? Just to see what would happen?  Kind of an experiment, to see what you can do without really training?

Kind of dumb but I've been thinking about it lately and tempted.  The only thing holding me back is the recovery. I HATE marathon recovery and spending a month feeling like absolute garbage.

RSX

I considered 1 last Fall when a friend suggested it after she was looking for a redemption 26.2. My last marathon    was about a month prior so wasn't out of that type of shape. I emailed the RD some questions and considered for a week but passed. I would never do one if most of my training was lacking.

Mmmmm...beer

Already have, sort of.  I went out on a long run in Dec '12 and turned it into my own personal marathon, just to see what it felt like.  I had worked my long run up to 20 miles at that point and decided that on my next 20 miler, if I felt good, I would just keep going.  No taper, and no recovery either, did that in the middle of a month long holiday streak.  It went fine, but I did have some ITB issues pop up in January that I'm pretty sure were due to way too much running in Dec, including my impromptu marathon.

Having done it, and now having raced an actual marathon, I wouldn't do it again.  I'd rather train properly and recover properly.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

onemile

My training is lacking compared to what I would do if I was training for a marathon, but probably better than a lot of people who actually are marathon training.

happylily

I think you should go for it. Your HM training was good enough for a marathon and you have the present speed in you to PR. I hate you.  (j/k  I just envy you. )

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Yep.  I was registered for the HM until one of my friends decided that it would be a good idea for me to switch to the full and pace her the last 26.2 miles of the 50K she was running.  It's still my PR. 

I don't see you RACING a marathon on a whim and you're not one to run one for fun.  Just seems silly for someone who is so plan focused.

Running is dumb.

onemile

I think you should go for it. Your HM training was good enough for a marathon and you have the present speed in you to PR. I hate you.  (j/k  I just envy you. )

I am looking to be talked out of this. Not encouraged. 

onemile

Yep.  I was registered for the HM until one of my friends decided that it would be a good idea for me to switch to the full and pace her the last 26.2 miles of the 50K she was running.  It's still my PR. 

I don't see you RACING a marathon on a whim and you're not one to run one for fun.  Just seems silly for someone who is so plan focused.

It wouldn't be for fun. I mean I would be trying to PR...with the thought that I could maybe PR on not ideal training.  But it's next Sunday and I might not be recovered in time from my half. 

happylily

I am looking to be talked out of this. Not encouraged. 

It's not good to lie to yourself this way. You know you want to try it. You know WE want you to try it. 

onemile

It's not good to lie to yourself this way. You know you want to try it. You know WE want you to try it. 

Ok, I do want to.  BUT I'm trying to talk myself down from it.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

It wouldn't be for fun. I mean I would be trying to PR...with the thought that I could maybe PR on not ideal training.  But it's next Sunday and I might not be recovered in time from my half. 

This is not the onemile I know. 

Running is dumb.

bluerun

Super B****

No, because I don't have to try it just to see what would happen... I already know.  I'd end up hurt.

Though come to think of it, that's what would happen whether I trained for it or not, so I guess it doesn't really matter!

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

happylily

I did end up injured after I ran my half PR 2 weeks after my marathon PR. Wouldn't it be worse to try to PR a marathon after a half PR? (just trying to help you get the idea out of your brain )

onemile

This is not the onemile I know. 

This is the new, improved version. 

onemile

I did end up injured after I ran my half PR 2 weeks after my marathon PR. Wouldn't it be worse to try to PR a marathon after a half PR? (just trying to help you get the idea out of your brain )

Yes, I don't want to get injured. Because I want to actually train for a marathon this fall.