Beginners and Beyond

Running: What Have You Learned? (Read 181 times)

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

What have I learned?

Many people take running way too seriously.

You people have issues 

delicate flower

As with anything in life, you get out of running what you put into it.  Do the work and you'll be rewarded.

Bad runs happen, and it's ok when it does.  Even on my worst days, I am grateful for the miles I finished.  And it's ok to take a breather mid-run.

I don't believe in "listen to your body" because my body is an idiot.  Tired?  Sore?  Lazy?  Too bad, Phil.  Get your run in.  I am never as beat up as I think I am.

Being in the race is a hell of a lot more fun than being in the cheering section.

<3

racecat

Goddess of the Cuisine

I've learned not to make a big deal out of what I do. It keeps things from seeming too daunting, and I don't come across as annoying.

In transit, arriving on time. 

Hip Redux

I have learned that I enjoy running for what it is, and I try to not make it more complicated because then for me, it becomes less fun.

Also, don't compare yourself to others and their progress.  You have to work with what you have and being the best you can be is best.

I agree with this.

Also, to a point what FSocks said.    I mean, it's ok to get really into it if that truly makes you happy but I suspect for some it becomes stressful or something to worry about.   Leave the garmin at home and enjoy the run.   Or hell, don't go for a run.  That's ok too.  Do whatever you want so long as it works for you and doesn't leave you mentally exhausted.

Docket_Rocket

Whenever I get like this, I take time off from running (a couple of days, a week).  If it's not fun for me, it's time to find something else.

I have learned that I enjoy running for what it is, and I try to not make it more complicated because then for me, it becomes less fun.

I agree with this.

Also, to a point what FSocks said.    I mean, it's ok to get really into it if that truly makes you happy but I suspect for some it becomes stressful or something to worry about.   Leave the garmin at home and enjoy the run.   Or hell, don't go for a run.  That's ok too.  Do whatever you want so long as it works for you and doesn't leave you mentally exhausted.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

bobruns

You are what you are.  This is how fast I am.  I'm 48.  I'm running.  Yay for me! 

Keep it fun.  When I am running at a nice park I remind myself to look around and take in the view.  Take a deep breath.  Smile.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I have learned that I have a lot to learn, and that I shouldn't be afraid to ask.  I don't even have to ask sometimes, but just be a good listener or reader.  I ran for football and wrestling and thought it was just for conditioning and punishment.  It was the simplest and most mind-numbing activity you could do.  I didn't have a clue that there was anything between a sprint and an 8 mile warmup before practice.  I had no idea that using your old wrestling shoes for running was bad, but I guess I was part of the original minimilist shoe movement.  I never would have made the connection between running and an injury.  I thought speed was something you either had or didn't have.  I honestly didn't think runners could afford bikes, jump, swim or take a hit.  There had to be some reason they didn't choose another activity.  Well, I've learned that running is way more than all that, and the best part is that it can be enjoyable, you can get faster, and you can always learn new things.  The running community is a great one, and I finally understand the attraction.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Here are some things I've learned in nearly 30 years of being a runner....

- You may believe you can take a shortcut and beat that tiny little tourist train in the park across the train bridge, but they are a lot faster than you think. And the whistle blowing into your ear as the train chases you, after you turn around and run back the other way across the bridge, is really annoying, and the train customers/passengers cheering, clapping, and whistling is quite embarrassing. Blush

- Golf courses APPEAR to be very nice places to run. But those golfers are very territorial.  And have pretty good aim with those golf balls. Those darn little white balls are pretty hard bonking off the side of your head... .

- Just because a cat looks so peaceful and sweet and friendly napping on a picnic table in the park you are running in doesn't mean it IS sweet or friendly. Not every cat WANTS to be patted!  Angry cats tend to get really crazy...and really fast too, they will even CHASE you!   BTW, peroxide cleans out cat scratches really good. 

- Even what you think may be a SMALL deer can knock you on your kiester.  And deer do NOT have a sense of humor about you in their territory.

- Armadillos may LOOK small and funny and clumsy and cute, but if you annoy them, they will scare the crap out of you when they jump straight up waist high!

- When a notice sign in front of a footbridge says that it will only support so much weight, someone has obviously tested it, so believe it.  If you don't believe it, just be warned... when that flippin' footbridge breaks that  English stream water is COLD, even in summer...

- When running in a park and your way is blocked by a fence and you don't want to go all the way back around the way you came, force yourself to go back anyway. Park Rangers have no sense of humor when they catch you on the fence in mid-climb.  

- If you are near-sighted and don't wear your glasses when you run, that big ole cute 'kitty' in front of you just might not be a kitty...as yo will find out when you get close enough and it's tail comes up, followed by this awful smell....helluva way to lose some good running gear...plus your wife might make you undress in the back yard before allowing you in the house...

- The butt/flank of a Police Horse is REALLY hard!  So hard it will knock you back about 3 feet after you run into it. And leave a nice bruise on your face/cheek.  Don't run into the butt of a police horse!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

• Each and every runner is different.  What works for one doesn't always work for the other.

• Running doesn't care if you run fast/slow or somewhere in between.  Any level of ability is okay.

• I like to run far and I don't care if I ever get much faster.  I do speed work but know that I'm not a fast runner and that is totally fine with me so it really doesn't matter to me what paces other do.  My pace is my pace and my running is what I make of it, not what others think of my performance

Marjorie

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

For me any ways: It's better to run 6 times per week, 3 miles than 3 times per week, 6 miles.

It's not the rain, or snow, or wind, but the ice that scares me. I just don't really care for the other stuff.

You basically shouldn't run the same thing twice in a row. Switch it up with something longer, shorter, faster or slower than your previous run.

When training, don't run a medium pace.

That's what I have learned, maybe it's not right. Oh well, at least I'm off the couch.

- Andrew

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

People run races for many reasons, and they're all legitimate.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Mostly harmless

I have learned a lot of things. The one that stands out the most right now is I've learned that I can push myself a LOT harder than I ever thought possible.

Oh and I also learned that I can run 26.2 miles and not die.

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

Dr. Cornsitter

12:00 pace means you can line up in the front.

Don't eat at all before your race, but eat as much as possible, as quickly as possible after. This is the only way to properly nourish yourself.

Don't attempt to warn other runners when you come up behind them. They don't appreciate you interrupting "Eye of the Tiger" on their iPod playlist.

Strength training in no way affects your running performance. So don't bother.

If you're not first, you're last.

(Okay, you all know I stole that last line)

Quote from BeachRunner3234 on 6/25/2013 at 8:20 PM:

So I'm currently sitting with a bag of frozen corn in my ass.

bluerun

Super B****

If you treat your body like crap, you're going to pay for it.

(I know, you're bound to learn that lesson eventually even if you don't run.  But I didn't actually care about consequences like having crappy bone density until it affected my running... and if I didn't want to run, I probably still wouldn't care today.)

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Love the Half

I very recently learned that running shorts over your running tights do more than just provide a bit of modesty - they also provide some support.  A tempo run without that support leaves one chafed in places where one would prefer not to be chafed.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).