Beginners and Beyond

And another comes back.... (Read 151 times)

Will run for scenery.

Hey all you consistent, dedicated runners... I thought I'd post an "I'm back" thread. I stopped running in the dark of winter hoping some R and R would help a knee problem. The prob w/ being a fair weather runner is that sometimes the fair weather never comes. This is the first week w/o freezing precipitation since, well, winter ! Honest : I was scraping windshields and shoveling snow through April. And the trees are only just now starting to show any signs of life. I did start running a while ago, though. The college I work at just opened an awesome fitness center with treadmills overlooking the Rockies. About 70% of the users are fit 20-yo women (Haloooo Scotty Dawg !) so my motivation has been solid. I really like the TM, and (this is amazing if you know me) I even started doing strength training. It has been a HUGE surprise how much the strength training helps ! HUGE, I say. In particular, leg extensions *seem* to be the answer to my knee problems. Anyway, I'm at about 30 MPW, although I've been too lazy to log them or post. My aerobic capacity and endurance are re-building gradually from near zero, but I feel like all the "gristle" is better than ever. There's definitely a year-on-year improvement, which is very satisfying. My first goal for the summer is the Garden of the Gods 10 miler, in 3 weeks. It's my 1 year runniversary. I've done a few runs there lately (6 mi yesterday) and the hills are like child's play (thank you, strength training!). This is gonna be my first ever RACE and I am really psyched. As for goals my HUGE number 1 news is that I signed up for the Pike's Peak Marathon. I meant to sign up for the Ascent (HM) but it was full. So this will be my first marathon ever. TBH, I'm most worried about the downhill. Other than that, this summer is all about running in the mountains. (I get 2 months off work, nya, nya. W/o pay doh!) Anyway, I'm glad to see so many of the usual suspects still running and posting here. I actually came back to lurk for Boston. (Yes, Lilly, I was stalking you. ) It was a beautiful, proud, wonderful half-day and I was happy for all of "our" runners. Anyways, I've got a plump juicy chicken in the smoker to share (virtually, of course) with all the non-vegans in 2.5 more hours. Until then, nothing to offer but gin. (Again, we're talkin' virtual gin, here, people. Sheesh!) Catch you in the Dailies. Usually late,late in the Dailies.

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

Docket_Rocket

Welcome back!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Will run for scenery.

Doh ! I forgot how to enter paragraphs manually. Never a problem at RWOL. (I'm just sayin' ...)

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

Docket_Rocket

But at least this website is readable on mobile...I'm just saying! Wink

Doh ! I forgot how to enter paragraphs manually. Never a problem at RWOL. (I'm just sayin' ...)

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

delicate flower

Good to have you back, jjs!

<3

MrNamtor

Nice comeback. Good luck with all your running plans.

I've got a plump juicy chicken

Thanks, Leroy.

Wink

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Welcome back

and um... I am boggled by the above comment...

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

happen

. The college I work at just opened an awesome fitness center with treadmills overlooking the Rockies. About 70% of the users are fit 20-yo women (Haloooo Scotty Dawg !)

Pics or it didn't happen.  (Of course HD video will also suffice). Joking

Randy

bobruns

Welcome back!

happylily

I'm glad you decided to join us again. Sounds like you're on the perfect running path. And you're training for your first marathon? Woohoo! Make sure you train for the downhills as much as you do for the uphills. And don't try to overdo it in the downhills, even though you feel you can push harder, That will only kill your legs. That's about all the advice I can give you regarding training. But if you stick around, I'll offer my support too! And thanks for the chicken! (but I don't do gin, even virtual gin. :-))

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

LRB

I've got a plump juicy chicken

Supp yo!

I am making the rice, who got the biscuits?

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good to see you back running!

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

YAYpril - B-Plus

Welcome back! I think I remember when you ran Pike's Peak last year. That RR was nuts.

pae

Hola!  I think it's pretty safe to say that you and I are pretty close together, as I was training on the hills in GotG back in February and March in preparation for my marathon in Cincinnati earlier this month.  I'm considering the GotG 10 in a few weeks, as well as the Estes Park half marathon the week after that.

I didn't mind running in the cold too much this winter, but there were some pretty brutal windy days where I pretty much had no choice but hit the treadmill.

Good luck with the PPM.  I think I'd be pretty worried about the second half as well.  Doing a 7500 foot descent over 13 miles on tired legs (from doing the 7500 foot ascent in the previous 13) sounds brutal.