Beginners and Beyond

Noob questions regarding pace groups (Read 119 times)

Philliefan33

Noob question time.

Next Sunday is the first time I am running a race that is large enough to offer pace groups. There is a pace group available for a 2:30 finish time (HM).  This is a reasonable finish time for me, although I’m hoping to go a little faster.  I’m considering using the pace group at the beginning of the race to keep me from getting caught up in the excitement and going out too fast.

What is Pace group etiquette?  Is it okay to start with the pacer but then break away after a while?  What if I try to go out on my own, but fade and end up falling back to the pace group….can I join (or rejoin)?  What is proper behavior while running with the group – do runners chat to help pass the time or is that considered rude?  What if I don’t feel like chatting?

Part of me wants to use the pacer because it’s my first race at this distance and I wouldn’t mind the help / company.  Another part of me says that this is my race, and for better or worse I need to tackle it alone.

thekl0wn

Pigtail Connoisseur

There are no requirements.  It IS your race, so you can do it any way you wish...  Be it run with the pack for a while or the whole time.

About the chatting, I'm not sure...  You'll probably find some people not pushing very hard and wanting to gab the whole time, and you'll probably have some people who're pushing very hard at that pace and not able to talk.  Do what feels right.

Something witty

happylily

As far as I know, there are absolutely no obligations to join at the start, or to stick with the group if you started with them. You join or leave whenever you want and you don't have to tell anyone (unless it's a very small group, maybe?). I ran with a pacer for part of one marathon, it was a group of about 50-75 people, all around the pacer. Only the people close to the pacer were chatting with him. The rest of us were quiet, unless they were running with a friend. So you do what you want.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

YAYpril - B-Plus

I've never run with a pace group so I don't have any advice, but I can tell you that the leader of the 2:30 group, Gayle, is a good friend of mine and she's a lot of fun. If you have any questions specific to her, I know at the expo on Saturday they will have a pace group section and the leaders should be there to answer any questions you have. Smile

Just B.S.

Talk to the pacer before the race if you can to find out their race strategy to see if it suits your

running style or plan. AS for talking or anything else it's totally up to you. If I'm racing and someone

starts chatting I simply says "sorry can't talk and run" and then look very intensely at the pavement.Big grin

In my 25 halfs I have only used a pace bunny twice.

When I was trying for my first sub 2 in 2010 two of my friends were the 2 hr pace bunnies. They are

fantastic runners and excellent pacers and knowing this I had total faith in them and I knew if I wanted

sub 2 on this really hilly  course (1,500 feet of gain over a half marathon) that I would be better off

with their help.    I told them "don't talk to me unless I talk to you, don't wait if I fall back on the hills because

I will catch up on the flats and if I feel good I will go ahead". Worked out exactly that way and I ended

up finishing in 1:59:02, they finished in 1:59:59.    Every person in our pace group of 10 finished sub2.

Last year I was on vacation for a  large big city race and decided to go with the 2 hr pace group. The group was

so huge that I couldn't get near the pacers to ask they strategy. Turns out it was to run the first half

way too fast and I ended up blowing up on the 2nd half and finishing in 2:04. Which was OK I had no

big hopes as I had just run a 2:01 half just 14 days prior (no pacer) . But it did prove to me that unless I

know the pacer well or heard they have a reputation of even pacing (which is my style) that I would rather

go it alone.

#1 though, have fun and enjoy! My first was in 2003 and I still remember almost everything about that day

and absolutely nothing about some of the ones in between!LOL

BruceD555

I'm a pacer parasite ... I enjoy having those groups around to keep me honest on my own pacing but I really don't enjoy running as an official part of the pacer group during the race.

Personally, I'm not a chatty runner - at least during the race - and I tend to get irritated by constant banter and encouragement in those groups. What I've done in the past is to try to start behind the group and then keep them in sight over the first few miles. Generally, this works great for keeping me reigned in on my pace (unless the pacer is banking time early to account for fade - I'll generally ask them their strategy beforehand). After a couple of miles I'll gradually move past the group so I don't have to trip over them when I start taking water and/or Gatorade.

Normally, I end up running far enough ahead of the group so I don't actually hear them for most of the race. Over the last stretch to the finish I mentally use the thought of not letting the pacer group pass me before the finish ... normally by this stage the pacer is vocal and giving encouragement to his/her group ... so you can hear them getting close.

Train smart ... race smarter.

hog4life

Margo, I used the pacers for my February half and I'm glad I did. I stayed a bit behind the "pack", so I felt no obligation to talk, but there were a lot of people talking, so do what you feel comfortable with. If your goal is 2:30, you might consider using the 2:20 pacer, and if you fade a little and the 2:30 pacer comes close, then hang with them for dear life. Have fun, can't wait to hear about it.

the one time I was in a race big enough for a pacer was the houston marathon. We were going to join the 5:15 pace group. When we were talking to the guy at the start of teh race, he talked about doing a run/walk (5:1) for the race. I told my sisters I hadnt trained that way, so we will just stay near them. They pass us, we pass them. I ended up leaving them with 6 miles to go.

My HM PR came when I had a free pace bunny. We started chatting about mile 3 and before long we noticed that we were at mile 9.

Have fun at the race but remember- its your race do as you want. My free advice - stay near a group and if you feel frisky after a while ditch em.

Good luck.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Jess runs for bacon

I've never run with a pace group so I don't have any advice, but I can tell you that the leader of the 2:30 group, Gayle, is a good friend of mine and she's a lot of fun. If you have any questions specific to her, I know at the expo on Saturday they will have a pace group section and the leaders should be there to answer any questions you have. Smile

And also I will be running with the 2:30 pace group (hopefully the whole time). Running with Gayle should be lots of fun.

Stay with the pace group the first few mile to ensure you don't go out too quick.

LRB

Having run with a pace group for both a marathon and half marathon, I can tell you firsthand that they blast out of the gate sometimes just like everyone else.

You have to be cognizant at all times when running with a pacer because you may need to slow down, or even speed up in some cases.

I would only suggest that you do not go into the race depending on a pacer to get you home.  Keep an open mind, stay fluid, and if things are working out, great.  But if a problem arises, take note of it quickly and respond accordingly.

Good luck!  I am sure you are going to rock it!

Mostly harmless

Lots of good advice here.  My 2 cents is to make sure that you cross the start line with or a few seconds before the pace group.  That way you can use the pacer as a good judge of where you are pace wise during the race.  This is of course assuming the pace leader is running even splits and is actually on pace.

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

GC100k

Twice I tried to follow a pacer in a marathon.  Same guy, btw.  The first time he got way behind the planned pace and I went on without him.  Then at ~11 miles he comes flying past at 2+ mpm faster than the pace.  A poster at RW insists I'm lying about this, but it's clear by looking at his splits.

The second time, I started in back of the corral he was in and kept his balloons in sight.  Lots of folks packed right around him.  The first half he was fast on a few miles, but not too bad.  By mile 9 or so he was right on pace.  The surrounding pack eventually disbursed (half marathoners?).  I stayed pretty close behind him and we were all alone for the 2nd half until mile 19 when he lost me on an uphill.  He was right on pace, but I couldn't stay with him.

I'd recommend that approach: keep the pacer's balloons in front of you and stay connected with a loose rubber band (metaphorically).

The first marathon I did it was 95 degrees and hilly.  The 3-hour pace group leader finished in over 4 hours.  I didn't follow a pacer and I don't think they had one for as slow as I was anyway.

Philliefan33

Thanks for all of the advice, everyone!   It doesn't sound like there are any rules around the pace groups, except of course the race etiquette that applies to all runners.

I like the concept of being a parasite, latching onto a pace group if I need it.  I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't bad form to do that.

I'm ready to go....can we just do this race already??!!!

Don't call me Buttercup!

Good luck!!!  My first HM is in two weeks and they're having pace groups, too.  2:50 is the last pace group... I'm just hoping to keep them in sight! =)

Slow and steady wins the....  wait a second! I've been lied to!