Beginners and Beyond

PM to Just B.S. and redrum (Read 81 times)

hog4life

Here's a bike I stumbled across. Guy said he paid near $500, but he will take $200. I found them new for about $400, and some research says a good price for a used one is $275. He's had the bike for about 2 years, and it has virtually no miles on it. I was thinking more on the lines of a hybrid, but wonder if I get some additional tires, is this a good deal? He's letting me use it for a while to see if I like it.

Fuji Nevada 4.0 Mountain Bike

For the price, would you buy it?

Just B.S.

Seems like a good price to me. However I don't know much about anything other than

road bikes. MBC could probably help you out with the mountain bike info.

The one thing I will say is that components can make a big difference in the value you get

for your $$.  A decent bike frame with cheap components not such a great deal.

But hey it's almost new and only $200, hard to go wrong!

Hubby used to have a mountain bike and for the road would change out the tires to make

it more versatile, so I think that is a good option.

FWIW I have done a total of 15 duathlons/tri's now and there are many many beginners or

people just doing them for fun who use a hybrid or mountain bike with road tires.

So if one was interested in trying a duathlon or triathlon you could use a bike like this no problem. Smile

Will run for scenery.

I can't speak to that particular bike, but I'll speak anyway. 

If the bike is exactly what you want/need as it sits right now then it looks like a great deal.  I, uh, know people who have bought a brand new bike and not used it much.  And bikes don't "go bad" just sitting around indoors.

But if you are tempted b/c it looks like a good deal, and all it needs is a different X, and maybe upgrade the Y, and TBH it's about an inch too tall, ...  Then you're definitely going to regret it.  I have a history of that sort of thing, and it does not save time/money/aggravation.

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

Docket_Rocket

Nice!  I think you got a good deal!

We got new bikes today as well.  Unfortunately, mine won't be here until Tuesday so I have no pictures.  For those that remember what I was asking, we got hybrid "comfort" bikes.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

For $200, absolutely........***IF*** it does what you want.  $200 is CHEAP!!!

And Fuji is GREAT value for the money already.  I'm currently eyeing a Fuji road bike that I probably shouldn't buy but it's about a $1K bike I can get for about $400.  My wife would certainly kill me with 2 hybrids in the house already but I definitely have a disorder not being able to pass up on good deals.

As to the bike itself....it appears to be what they call a "hard tail".  It's got the mtn bike tires & front suspension fork. (I don't see that it has a "lockout" on the fork but google says it has tension adjustment so you could tighten it up for road riding & loosen it for trail).   It's actually kind of got the "comfort" series of bike saddle.  But it's definitely a hard tail with an otherwise great looking geometry.

Whatever you want to label it as......if it works for you, it would be a very wise buy!!  I definitely approve of Fuji! 

Randy

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

what exactly do you want to do with it?  MTB?  Rail Trail?  Horse around for fun with the kids?  Race?

That looks like my first mountain bike and at $500 new it's probably pretty trail worthy for strict cross country.  If, however, you never plan on taking it off road I'd get something more like redrums and skip the front suspension and get skinnier (and slick) tires and most likely lighter.

A friend who sells cars once told me that when buying used, the best determination of "is this a good deal" is your own perception of value.  Do YOU think it's a good value to you?    Then that's your answer.

and as to frame vs components: components can be upgraded later.  Get the best frame for the buck you can.

Seems like a good price to me. However I don't know much about anything other than

road bikes. MBC could probably help you out with the mountain bike info.

The one thing I will say is that components can make a big difference in the value you get

for your $$.  A decent bike frame with cheap components not such a great deal.

But hey it's almost new and only $200, hard to go wrong!

Hubby used to have a mountain bike and for the road would change out the tires to make

it more versatile, so I think that is a good option.

FWIW I have done a total of 15 duathlons/tri's now and there are many many beginners or

people just doing them for fun who use a hybrid or mountain bike with road tires.

So if one was interested in trying a duathlon or triathlon you could use a bike like this no problem. Smile

hog4life

Thanks for all the great tips and advice. I still plan to shop at the bike shops to see if I like something better.