Beginners and Beyond

Penguin Awareness monDay (Read 24 times)

PADRunner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the caommon benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

PADRunner

Happy Penguin Awareness Day. Another URD for me.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Good morning PADRunner!

I had an amazing weekend, but back to reality.  I'm hoping to get in a good tempo run tonight.  We're looking at another 4-8 inches of snow possibly tonight, which is insane if you saw my camping pictures from the weekend.  We got 18 inches just a couple of weeks back.  This is a serious snow season around here.  Luckily, we did buy a treadmill in 2013.  It's just not safe to run on the road around here right now.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Bin Running

Morning, PAD and Awood.

Awood, that amt of snow is frightening. Take care.

5easy miles done.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

hog4life

Anson, stay safe with all the snow! Camping? You are crazy....just like me!

Pad, enjoy the rest day.

I'll be resting/traveling back to Bama today. Lots of packing to do this morning. Have a good day.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Awareness Day or MLK day?  Super sick (did not post yesterday but instead of a marathon, I finished the half due to being sick) and it looks like severe asthma with a cold.  So, SRD.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Gym today... 7 minutes recumbent bike warm up... 30 min elliptical.... And a MILE ON THE TM! It's not much but after 6 weeks no running, a 14 minute mile walk/jog interval was awesome!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Zelanie

Hey pens!  I have this weeks MLR of 10 miles today.   Last week's schedule got crammed into the end of the week because I took Monday and Tuesday off, and this week there is no way that I can run tomorrow, so I need to get one of the quality workouts in today.  And the MLR seems like the easiest one. Smile  It's just a couple of miles past a "regular" run anyway, right?

Kristin- That's great that you were able to run today!  Looking forward to many more miles for you!

PAD- Hope the rest is doing the trick!

Awood- Those were some crazy camping pictures!  I couldn't even imagine being out in that.

Bin- Nice job on the run.

Mitch- Safe travels.

D- I'm glad you cut it short yesterday and I hope you feel better soon!

PADRunner

Morning!  Awareness Day or MLK day?  Super sick (did not post yesterday but instead of a marathon, I finished the half due to being sick) and it looks like severe asthma with a cold.  So, SRD.

It's both.

Docket_Rocket

It's both.

I am so confused lately, ha.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

PADRunner - thanks for starting us this a.m.  Enjoy your rest day.  Are you still hurting?

Awood - good for you, snow camping.  Did you build a snow cave?  Much as I love camping, I'm not so hot on winter camping, just because I hate getting up in the morning and fixing breakfast when it's below freezing outside.

Bin - are you mostly running indoors or out these days?

Mitch - travel safely.

Damaris - sorry you're so sick.  Not running the full was a good idea if you're really ill, and given the pain you've got, doubly a good idea.  Did you run along with your DH?

Kristin - hurray for finally being able to run again.  How did your foot feel?  Any pain?

Z - enjoy your MLR.  Since you have the day off, it's a good time to do it.

AFM:  SRD today.  I wanted to take Ben out for a second walk after my eye appt. this afternoon but it's looking awfully dark and windy out there.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I didn't build a snow cave, but do you know that people were making fun of me for bringing a cooler?  They weren't making fun of me in the morning when I was the only person who had water, and other items that weren't frozen.  Heck, I had a thermos full of hot water and we had a wind chill of -5 F.  I think I made the right choice.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Ginny foot felt good! Felt like I could have done more but didn't want to push it my first time.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Work day for me.  Going to run outside now with DW before polar vortex arrives.

Glad the foot is better, Kristin.  Feel better DR.

Have a great day...working or not.

SheCan

Good morning everyone!

HI PAD, I'm happily aware of you today!  Hope your knee pain gets better and better.  You deserve to take some time off.

Awood-- danged@ 18 inches, and now more.  Glad you have a TM now.  All that ice and snow must be hard on one's motivation I'd think.

Hi ya Mojo Bin!  Good job on the 5!

Mitch-- have a safe trip.

Docket many hugs.  I'm sorry your FM didn't pan out.  You must have really really felt bad to switch to the half.  Please get well soon.  BTW, I really like the new profile picture.  Its so pretty.

kristin-- great job!  It sounds similar to the workout I did today that kicked my butt.  You'll be stronger then ever soon.

Zelanie-- yup, you can do it!    As strong as your are, juggling workouts like that occasionally should be fine as long as you aren't feeling pain.

Ginny-- I hope your weather doesn't get too frightful.  Wish I could send you some warm air.

Jerry-- Hi ya, and you all have a great run!

I'm wanting to do a bit of a cutback week (as far as running) so today I did weights and upper body workout, and 8 miles on high resistance on the stationary bike.  Followed by 2-1/2 mile slow run.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson