Beginners and Beyond

Flu shot.....Yea or Nay??? (Read 580 times)

catwhoorg

Labrat

Does this mean this years flu shot won't protect you from the nasty H3N2 ?

As of now, it seems to provide some protection, that is the best anyone can say with confidence.

If it turns out to be well matched, that is something that only post season analysis will determine.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

shu_runner

I got mine while dressed as a Nazi wearing a fuel belt during a 5k marathon.

Hot!

I'm amazed the thread went this long without the obligatory "The only time I ever got the flu was when I got the shot". This could be the longest thread/conversation about the flu shot ever without that phrase being used. We did have the autism bunk mentioned, but I think that was sarcastic.

As for me, my son and I both got the shot this year (we always do), and we both got the flu. But it was short lived and not very severe, due to a combination of the vaccine and getting on tamiflu early on. Wiped us out for about 2 days but then we were fine. More like a bad cold. (Flu was confirmed by lab test) Our Dr. said there are some strains that slipped by the vaccine this year, it happens. But 90%+ of the cases he's seen this year are unvaccinated people.

We'll be getting it next year. IMO the benefits far outweigh the minimal risks. I wouldn't presume to tell someone else what they should do, though it does make me sad so many base the decision on limited or faulty info.

Yes.

And +1 to your last statement.

StartingOver42

faster than a glacier

So, when the office gave free flu shots, and someone ended up getting the flu anyway I found it ironic.  I know of 3 people who have had flu shots the last couple of years and gotten the flu.  I was just informed last week by a med student that there is a strain of the flu going around that the flu shot will not protect you from.  It's not 100%.

Why is that ironic? No medical procedure or medicine is 100% effective. There are strains that slip by the vaccine almost every year. 99% effectiveness would still mean many thousands of vaccinated people getting the flu.

Not saying you should or shouldn't get it, just trying to understand the logic.

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

Yes.  I get it for free through work.

Vegan Ang

Formerly sdnyc99

I've never had the flu, only colds in varying degrees of severity, and I didn't even get them very often until I started working in offices and riding public transportaion. I absolutely hate needles.  I don't even like the little blood drawing you need for cholesterol tests.  I got a flu shot once, years ago, when it was particularly cheap and convenient--and was reminded how much I needles.  Plus I felt yuckky and exhausted for the next few days.  For no discernable benefit.  I doubt I'll get it again.  Maybe if I ever truly get the flu it'll be bad enough to be worth needles and yuckky to improve my chances of avoiding it again.  But so far, no way.

You know you can get a nasal mist instead of a needle, right?

Angela 

SheCan

Not yet, but probably will get one Thursday because I'm going to the doctor anyway.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

catwhoorg

Labrat

http://www.google.org/flutrends/us/#US

Useful link.

Shows US data as it is linked.

Can breakdown to States and even some cites.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

YAYpril - B-Plus

Not me. I've never gotten a flu shot and I've never had a confirmed case of the flu. The worst I've ever been sick was about 7 years ago and I was laid up for 2 days at home and still didn't feel like it was bad enough to go to the doctor. My work doesn't offer them and I'm not around children or the elderly.

If I ever have a reason to get one, then sure, I might consider it. But for now, nope.

Docket_Rocket

It's not supposed to work as well.

I also have never gotten the flu.

You know you can get a nasal mist instead of a needle, right?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Buelligan

I've only had one flu shot in my entire life so far.  At work where it was convenient.

I seem to get the flu once or twice a decade.  I had the flu last year and it totally floored me for a few days.  Really wished I had gotten a flu shot before that.

Mostly harmless

I get one every year. It's free at work and very convenient.

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Excellent.  This thread went exactly as planned!  Big grin

Actually, I had no idea about the one in L&O but if RA's L&O is anything like the old RW version, then I can hold my head high.  That's like moving up to "head janitor" at the prison.  Clown

I probably won't get it only because I'm lazy.  And if I got the shot and then got the flu anyway, nobody here would ever hear the end of it.  I would burn the doctor's office to the ground.

Catwhoor's chart is accurate.  The big concern this year is the early onset.  I was talking with a guy who's been battling it for 3 weeks now.  Walking pneumonia and in his 3rd set of antibiotics. (Zpak no workee).

Eat, drink and be merry..........for tomorrow we die!  (just a warm fuzzy for the evening) Wink

Randy

mucknort

Well, these things always seem anectdotal, so here's mine: As a classroom teacher, I got the dang flu every year, until I started getting the shot. That was 16 years ago, and since getting the shot I've never had the full on flu. Sure, I still get winter bugs, but not the flu. I also wash hands regularly. My question to those that say they are never around children, etc. is, don't you ever fly on a plane, ride a bus, go to a theater/mall/grocery store/church/ anywhere else where crowds are or have been recently?

Docket_Rocket

Yes, and I never get the flu.  Not sure why.  I work with 21 people all with kids and they get the flu.  They also get the flu shot every year, while I don't.

Well, these things always seem anectdotal, so here's mine: As a classroom teacher, I got the dang flu every year, until I started getting the shot. That was 16 years ago, and since getting the shot I've never had the full on flu. Sure, I still get winter bugs, but not the flu. I also wash hands regularly. My question to those that say they are never around children, etc. is, don't you ever fly on a plane, ride a bus, go to a theater/mall/grocery store/church/ anywhere else where crowds are or have been recently?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page