Beginners and Beyond

Boxers or Briefs? (Read 85 times)

LRB

Regarding running shorts ya freak. 

I first tried a pair of Nike running shorts with a brief liner in the fall of 2012 and them shits chafed my leg something awful during a marathon.  I concluded I would be better served to cut the liner out and wear boxer briefs which is what I did for all of 2013.

This off season I decided to give the built-in liner another shot and bought two products from Pearl Izumi, one with a brief and the other with a compression type liner.

Neither gave me issues but I decided to go with the brief liner for my half marathon since that is what I would likely wear for a marathon to cut down on heat build up and wouldn't ya know it, despite minimal mileage in them while training this winter I had no problems.

I am unsure if it was the brand or design but had I given up on the idea of wearing shorts with a liner I would have never found a product that works.  So my answer is briefs. 

What has been your experience with built-in liners in running shorts in terms of irritation/chafage?

Docket_Rocket

Why would you want to wear boxers?????

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

All of my running shorts with a built-in liner are brief style, so that's what I chose. If I do a LR or something I'll use compression type underwear with a short that doesn't have a liner. I would be interested in trying a running short with a different type of liner.

Chafing has never been an issue after I figured out how far I can run without having to make special accommodations. My special accommodation would include petroleum jelly.

- Andrew

I wear running shorts with the built in liner when it is warm enough. I've never really had an issue. I'll wear compression shorts with a wind blocker panel under tights in the winter.

That covers 99% of my runs. I can remember a few times wearing compression shorts under basketball shorts when I forgot to do the laundry.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Built-in briefs.

But please! throw them out when you can feel air pass through the leg holes. I don't need you bending over post race and me happen to see Side Junk.

Side boob = ok

Side junk *not* ok

happylily

I've never had any problems with chaffing. I wear bikini style underwear all the time, even if some of my shorts or skirts offer a built-in lining. My panties are just too comfy to give up.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

All my running shorts till now have built-in briefs. Occasional discomfort that sort of comes & goes, but no major chafing issues, including long runs & marathons. So I don't know why I felt the need to buy the new ones with compression short liner I just mentioned in the dailies (which may or may not have inspired this poll). Actually the main thing was the little zipper pocket in back just below the waistband, which I'm sure is intended for a key or Gu, but is the perfect size for an asthma inhaler. Some others with brief liner also had a pocket like that, but did not happen to be in stock in the right size, color, length, etc. In any case, they were quite comfortable this morning. Maybe also a bit warmer when running in cool temps; not sure if they will be too warm when it gets hot out.

Dave

delicate flower

warm weather/treadmill = shorts with the built in liner

cold weather = running pants with compression shorts or briefs underneath

No issues with chafing anywhere.

<3

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

Depends...

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

delicate flower

Depends...

Tony Siragusa says that is manly.

<3

Tony Siragusa says that is manly.

Yeah I'm really not sure I want to know the difference between the two styles they show in that commercial. I suppose I'll find out soon enough.

Dave

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I like the built in liners.  I have ones with briefs and with the compression style.  I like the compression style for longer runs, and the briefs for faster / shorter runs.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

delicate flower

Yeah I'm really not sure I want to know the difference between the two styles they show in that commercial. I suppose I'll find out soon enough.

Shields and Guards!

I think I watch too much ESPN.

<3

LRB

Why would you want to wear boxers?????

Let's not get our : : ahem : : panties in a bunch. 

Boxers were a play on the thread title not a poll option...although it could be a variation.  Boxer briefs are basically compression shorts without the compression.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Damn it! I was hoping there would be pics in this thread! 

Regarding running shorts ya freak. 

I first tried a pair of Nike running shorts with a brief liner in the fall of 2012 and them shits chafed my leg something awful during a marathon.  I concluded I would be better served to cut the liner out and wear boxer briefs which is what I did for all of 2013.

This off season I decided to give the built-in liner another shot and bought two products from Pearl Izumi, one with a brief and the other with a compression type liner.

Neither gave me issues but I decided to go with the brief liner for my half marathon since that is what I would likely wear for a marathon to cut down on heat build up and wouldn't ya know it, despite minimal mileage in them while training this winter I had no problems.

I am unsure if it was the brand or design but had I given up on the idea of wearing shorts with a liner I would have never found a product that works.  So my answer is briefs. 

What has been your experience with built-in liners in running shorts in terms of irritation/chafage?

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)