Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: Dare To Be Powerful 5K (Read 18 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I am Scott aka Scottydog, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

The Details

• My 62nd race of 2014
    • Held November 8, 2014 at Lockwood Park in San Antonio
    • Weather:  just about perfect...62 degrees at  8 a.m start time, no wind, sunny, with a bit of cloud cover, humidity and dew-point in the 50 percentile range...sweeet!
    • Supported Martinez Street Women's Center - http://www.mswomenscenter.org/
      • "The Martinez Street Women’s Center is in its 14th year serving San Antonio’s East and South East community. Our Community Health Promotora Program strengthens families by increasing access to preventative health services, facilitating referrals to basic needs resources and enhancing the knowledge and awareness of health issues in our community. Through our  Girl Zone Program (after school sessions and Summer Camp) we enhance academic potential, nurture high self-esteem, and support the healthy development of girls.."
      • The Center's Mission Statement: The Martinez Street Women’s Center transforms communities through

women and girls by providing access to vital health services, quality   education, and advocacy. We envision a world where women and girls  achieve empowerment, equality, and justice.  (Hence the name of the race: Dare To Be Powerful)

• 97 finishers:  31 male, 66 female
    • Age group awards, 10-year age groups until age 60, then 60-99 age group.
    • I finished in 33 minutes flat and was 2nd in the men's 60 - 99 age group.

For those that don't want to go through my whole narrative below, this is a slideshow of my photos taken:   http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2014%20Race%20Reports%20and%20Photos/2014%20Dare%20To%20Be%20Powerful%205K?sort=2

BEFORE THE RACE

Went to get my packet on Friday and had a bit of excitement - there was a big fire at the intersection where I was supposed to turn to get to the pickup venue, fire-and-rescue trucks, ambulance, etc., smoke all up in the air;  road blocked, so had to do a wide detour and go back around the other way to get to the packet venue.   Another small 'adventure' and I wasn't even running this time, lol.  Probably a good thing I wasn't running, I might have run smack into one of the fire trucks - but hey, at least that's better than that time I ran into a police horse's butt once...     As for my race shirt, I got a size "small".  No, I am not dreaming that I'll fit into it someday, lol.  I got it for my beautiful wife and the love of my life (30 years married this coming February), Gail, because I was doing this race for her.    She has come a long way since we first met, really coming out of her comfort zone for a lot of things, including starting and running her own business.  She really has "empowered' herself in the last few years.  So I did this one in her honor.

Arrived about 45 minutes before start time on the morning of the event and found some parking on the street pretty close to the start finish. This is a neighborhood area, so thanks to all the residents for their patience in we runners and walkers crowding their streets for a while and letting us park in front of their houses - being careful, of course, not to block any driveways.   As I had already gotten my race stuff, I started getting some pre-start photos.

For those of my running pals who know that Bernadette - one of my 'running crushes" -  and I do a lot of the same races together and asked "Where's Bernadette"?  when I did the report on my race before this one - a race she did not do - this time, YES, she was here....

I've lived in San Antonio for 20 years but have never been to Lockwood Park.  It's a nice little park with some views from it of a few of the downtown San Antonio skyline buildings, including Tower of the Americas.

This was our MC for the race, did a GREAT job.  Super-nice lady whom I chatted with a bit before and after the race.  I think I made her laugh a lot, being the clown that I am.    If she were a runner, she'd be one of my 'running crushes" too! 

A few of the Race Day volunteers

I think this must be the "Bee" Powerful race lady.

The AthleteGuild timing and course set-up folks, who did their usual great job.  They do a lot of local events.

And some of the paticipants et al, pre-start.  Several folks were wearing their "Empowered" costumes.

This lady is wearing the race shirt participants got

Bats apart....

Bats together....

Will standing next to a Dallas Cowboys cheerleader ban me from being a Redskins fan? 

Some of our traffic control officers.  Thanks!

Three active police officers and one retired military old fart...

My new friend, Carlos.....really nice guy, we had nice chats before and after the race

Getting ready to get on the course...

ON THE COURSE

We went from the start right to Hays Street and then ran up the historic Hays Street Bridge.  Then a route that took us back to the starting area, where we did a  turn-around, went back the way we came, across the bridge once more, and back up to the start finish the way we had come out - except that now the downhill we started on was an uphill to finish - and no little hill either. The course was quite hilly in several places...as a matter of fact, just about in all the places, lol.

Up the one side of the Hays Street Bridge....

Over the bridge....

...and down the other side we went.....the down side is longer than the side we went up initially, so of course that meant we had a longer uphill to climb going back over the bridge.  I did not take a photo of that as I was busy heading for the finish, but here is a photo of the beginning of the other side of the bridge.  When we got to the top of this side, there was a slight left turn, and we had to climb a second incline that was part of going back to the finish...zowie!

This was about the only flat part on the whole course, lol.

And when we went around the corner...another hill

This hill took us back near the start/finish area.  We turned right before the start line onto a street that went downhill, did a little turn-around at the orange cones and police cars you can see at the bottom of the hill in these next photos; and since it was a turn-around, that meant of course...

another hill to climb....

Water-stop volunteers....thank you!

OMG! An almost flat street on the course!

At that stop sign, we turned right and headed back down the HUGE hill we'd come up, then back to the bridge to climb the LONG up-part of the bridge; then when we got off the bridge, one last loooong uphill before making the turn to the finish.   I did run just about ALL the hills non-stop.  If one of my legs could've detached itself from my body, it probably would've given me  a swift kick in the pants, lol.  As it was, by the time I finished, they were screaming at me a bit.   Brain just told them "Shut up, you idiots, you're done now, you can relax!"  And legs gave a big sigh of relief.

AFTER THE FINISH

After I finished, I got these "Green Girls" finishing.  Until near the end, I was pretty much in proximity with them on the whole course.

I got these other Green Girls finishing too - but they were going SOOOOO fast, they were just a blur.    OK, OK, so I'm a camera idiot at times...good thing I don't get paid for taking these photos!

The ladies let me have a photo with them....

They are from Texas State University - the 'Bobcats" so this is their 'Bobcat" symbol  photo...

The goodies tent, courtesy of H-E-B and introduced here by Carlos

...and this lovely lady...

Health bars, fruit...

And BEER!

"Happy Finishers" - which I call them because more people seem to be smiling after they are done than before the start or on the course - and supporters, volunteers, etc.

I love the ladies at the races - platonically, of course, - so here's a few photos of me with some lovely ladies....eat yer hearts out, my old-men friends...

Me and Bernadette and "Pinky" my post-race lens wiping bandana.

Me and the MC - my "almost a runner" crush...

Me, Bernadette, and Sherri, who was the one who laid out the course for this race. Sadist! On the course I heard Sherri's name being used in vain a few times, lol.  Just kidding.  It actually was a good course, much different from the usual 'boring' course that I have done in past races that is used most commonly for events that include the Hays Street Bridge in the event.  Good job, Sherri, keeping it challenging and interesting!

Superman did 50 pushups in 30 seconds and got a prize.  I don't know what the prize was...in my case I would've asked for an oxygen mask...

Carlos with the Race Director, super-nice lady.

Cheerleader got a medal...

Bernadette, as usual, placed in her age group - First for this one, 26-something for her.    She and I with our medals

This lady also got a medal...and on her birthday too!   Happy birthday!  Now that you're 21, you can have one of those beers!    I don't think the kid was impressed...

I think this is a group associated with the Women's Center.

EPILOG

This was the inaugural event for this race and it was very well done for a first-time race.  Well organized - no glitches as far as I could tell and I didn't hear any feeback about any problems -  good course, nice post-race goodies, good quality race shirts - cotton, not tech tee, but that's okay too.  And what really made this event - the volunteers and all the participants, a whole bunch of GOOD folks I interacted with today, great senses of humor, lots of patience with my photo taking, lots of smiles and running event comradery.

And MUCHO thanks to our traffic officers who did a great job.  A couple times on the course - one incident I saw at one point along the course and one that Bernadette saw where she was at one point - some 'stupid' drivers were trying to get onto the course, and could've possibly hurt someone - and the police officers there nipped THAT in the bud right off.  So thank you so much, officers, for keeping us all safe!

One of the 'funnest' events I've done for the year!  Definitely would do this one again and also recommend it to my fellow runners.  Hope this one grows for next year, it's a good one!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

As a 'Skins fan, I approve your appreciation of women dressed in blue and white.  Now, if that was Tony Romo, that would be a different story.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

GinnyinPA

Definitely a challenging course, but it looks like fun too.  Congratulations on the AG medal.

Cyberic

Congrats on your 62nd race in 2014! That's 60 more than me.

LRB

Looks like one big happy family!  Is that a new color for you?

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Looks like one big happy family!  Is that a new color for you?

I am multi-colored. 

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

All I could think of when I read the thread title was Oz, the Great and Powerful. Did you pull off any wizardly magic?

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

All I could think of when I read the thread title was Oz, the Great and Powerful. Did you pull off any wizardly magic?

I magically got lovely ladies to get a photo with an old mutt....