Beginners and Beyond

Hit by a vehicle.......on my bike this time......I'm at a loss for words... (Read 184 times)

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

I apologize in advance for hijacking with biking news but I'm out of sorts & as a RW/RA vet, I'm venting anyway.......

So, I'm what...... a week and a half into my new bike and it's totaled!!  (No joke!)

I was hit by a truck (Ford F350 turning right w/ me coming on the left side of the road turning for home). The guy didn't look right, only left & pulled out right in front of me & because the truck was so long I just had nowhere to go. I hit the door & under the truck I went. Fortunately he hit the brakes before I was run over by the rear wheels. I'm scraped, banged up & bloody but otherwise OK.

Immediately traded insurance info w/ the guy who was shaken but didn't think he should do anything as I was riding on the wrong side of the road. Well, duh, I was 2 minutes from the house, I have to cross the street some time.  And I'm on a bicycle and you're in an F350!!!!! 

I went directly from the scene to the bike shop I bought it from and the guy immediately noticed my right rear seat stay was bent. He declared it totaled.   (thus my rear brakes would not let go of the wheel). I tried everything in my power to keep from going down but couldn't stop in time.

Anywho.....I don't know exactly what to do but in the meantime I've ordered a duplicate bike to be assembled & ready to go tomorrow at the original bike shop. I bought it w/ a Costco Amex so since the driver is less than receptive to helping out, I told Amex what happened & they may very well cover the whole thing. (I did this a couple years ago w/ a laptop I bought my mother & they were great). New bike will be ridden tomorrow come heck or high water.

I'm just so pissed right now I could spit!  If anybody has advice, I'm all ears.  (The guy is not receptive & offered me $25 at the scene.  I laughed & told him that might cover some new brake pads) 

Randy

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

OMG!!!! I am so sorry! I'm really sorry to hear about your bike, but I am very glad you weren't more injured!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

LRB

I bought it w/ a Costco Amex so since the driver is less than receptive to helping out, I told Amex what happened & they may very well cover the whole thing.

Hopefully this is the case but whatever you do, do not look up to the sky and yell, WHAT NEXT?!?!  Because it can always get worse!

Just B.S.

I am very sorry that happened and really glad you are ok. As a long time cyclist who has had too many near misses to count over the years with drivers not paying attention  i am not a bit surprised .

i have also had some cyclist friends hit by cars and in each case the driver was found at fault.

happylily

OMG, Randy! Thank God you're okay! I am so so sorry this happened to you. How terrible! 

It is very upsetting that the truck driver does not take responsibility for the accident. But people are people and try not to dwell on it too long. No point in storing negative energy in you. Hopefully there is nothing wrong physically with you and the new bike will be paid by your card. That is a good thing, focus on the positive. But I know it's not an easy thing to do right now... :-( But thank God you're ok!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

hog4life

Holy crap! Glad you are okay. $25? Effing dumbass

Nevrgivup

Wow! You just got hit by a truck and you are already planning on getting back on a bike tomorrow. So glad you are ok. That is crazy.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Glad you are okay, it could've been a lot worse!

Don't know about any advice, other than you might want to consult an attorney and see what options are open for you, if any.   Good luck in getting any positive action or recompense from this guy....$25 for a bike, sheesh.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Just B.S.

You might also want to get checked out at a clinic or at your doctors and take photos of the injuries all for the purpose of documenting the incident in case there are any injuries that present later .

Zelanie

Oh my gosh, I am so glad that you're OK!  That sounds terrifying!

I have no idea how to deal with the situation with the guy and the bike, other than to commiserate that the guy is clearly a clueless jerk and I'm sorry you have to deal with him.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Thanks for the well wishes.  Interestingly, the bike forum is full of, "You're at fault for riding on the wrong side of the road.  Consider yourself lucky!"

Anybody here know if that's true??

Regardless, that particular part of the road has lots of people riding on the left because the right side really has no shoulder so you really wouldn't catch me riding there anyway, but maybe I'll ride up on the sidewalk for that last stretch then cuz I don't think that getting hit & killed from behind would make me feel any better about being hit.

Randy

Mmmmm...beer

I'm really glad you're ok.

But I'm not seeing how this is the driver's fault, you were on the wrong side of the road.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Just B.S.

Cyclist ride with traffic, same direction.

obiebyke

Thank god you're okay! That's so scary! I don't know, my first response was with the bike forumers. He really should have looked both ways, but as I understand it, rules of the road say you were on the wrong side, and you ran into his door. I hope you heal up quickly.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

catwhoorg

Labrat

Cyclist ride with traffic, same direction.

cycles are vehicles under the law, so yes you were on the wrong side of the road at the time of the incident.

Glad you are doing OK though.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18