Beginners and Beyond

Excessive thirst (Read 72 times)

onemile

Lately I have been really thirsty for the past few weeks. All the time. I wake up in the middle of the night dying for water.  But I have been drinking plenty (Mostly a combination of water, diet soda, and coffee). I don't think I'm dehydrated and I have been peeing a lot.  So it's like I am drinking and drinking and it's not being absorbed or something.

I've recently increased my mileage a bit and I often do longer runs without any water. But I drink plenty after and throughout the day.  I feel like I am constantly drinking.  I've started drinking Nuun to see if that would help but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

I realize this is a dumb question but has anyone had this problem? Help! (google says it's diabetes but I am thinking it's running related so... )

LRB

I went through this problem (or I guess you could say I am going through it) where I am thirsty as hell but water was no longer doing it for me. I ended up buying powdered tea, power ade and lemonade so that I can make them to the strength of the moment.

I do not drink diet or sugar-free products so each one is the real deal with the associated calories but I am okay with it.  Sometimes I can drink a quart in one sitting but feel incredibly satisfied afterwards whereas water was blech.

I just chalked it up to some type of electrolyte thing with sweating and running as we have had some crazy dew points this year but have no idea if that is true or not.

onemile

I went through this problem (or I guess you could say I am going through it) where I am thirsty as hell but water was no longer doing it for me. I ended up buying powdered tea, power ade and lemonade so that I can make them to the strength of the moment.

I do not drink diet or sugar-free products so each one is the real deal with the associated calories but I am okay with it.  Sometimes I can drink a quart in one sitting but feel incredibly satisfied afterwards whereas water was blech.

I just chalked it up to some type of electrolyte thing with sweating and running as we have had some crazy dew points this year but have no idea if that is true or not.

This was kind of my theory, which is why I started drinking the Nuun. But it doesn't seem to be making a difference.  I don't really want to drink calorie filled beverages.

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

Lately I have been really thirsty for the past few weeks. All the time. I wake up in the middle of the night dying for water.  But I have been drinking plenty (Mostly a combination of water, diet soda, and coffee). I don't think I'm dehydrated and I have been peeing a lot.  So it's like I am drinking and drinking and it's not being absorbed or something.

I've recently increased my mileage a bit and I often do longer runs without any water. But I drink plenty after and throughout the day.  I feel like I am constantly drinking.  I've started drinking Nuun to see if that would help but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

I realize this is a dumb question but has anyone had this problem? Help! (google says it's diabetes but I am thinking it's running related so... )

My first question reading this is what has your blood sugar been?  Have you checked it?

This could be running related.  I don't know you or anything about you.  So I can't say that this isn't diabetes related.  Typically, with a new onset diabetic we'll often see other symptoms aside from increased thirst and increased urination.  However, as I can't see you and you haven't chosen to write about anything else this is really all I have to go on.  And sometimes increased thirst and increased urination are the only symptoms we'll see.  (The last new onset diabetic I diagnosed, for example, only complained of being really, really thirsty.)

Have your blood sugar checked.  Rule out the big stuff first then focus on the smaller stuff.  This may, in fact, be due to a change in your routine.  On the other hand, it may not be.  Are you willing to gamble?

Oh, skip the soda diet or otherwise.  Water for the win.  And some coffee thrown in to the mix.  Soda, though?  That stuff'll kill you.

MTA:

Obligatory disclaimer: I may practice medicine but I am not *your* medical provider.  This isn't intended to be medical advice other than to say please consult with *your* medical provider.  Don't have one?  Get one.  This is the perfect excuse to establish a relationship with a new primary care provider.

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

Love the Half

Yes, have your blood sugar checked.  At least anecdotally, I can't think of why diet soda would make a difference.  I hate water and Diet Pepsi is pretty much all I drink other than beer.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

LRB

I don't really want to drink calorie filled beverages.

I was the same way for years then just decided I would go back to regular sugar on the oft-chance that I do have a soft drink which until the past month or so is not often.

LTH if given the choice of sweeteners years ago I always chose Splenda or diet drinks, for the past few years it has been sugar or the regular drinks.  There was no real reason I just switched so it's not like I look at artificial sweeteners in a bad way, I just do not use them anymore.

bluerun

Super B****

I'm on the "have your blood sugar checked" side.

FWIW, this happened to me once -- I also drink like I'll never see water again, and I pee plenty, so I wasn't dehydrated either.  It just went away on its own after a couple of weeks.

But I'd still say to see a doctor. 

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Half Crazy K 2.0

Since it's something new, I'm on the see your doctor side. That said, I have allergies and sometimes feel dried out but congested. When that happens, my throat always feels dry and scratchy, so I drink even more water than I usually do to try and soothe it. And what water comes in, has to go out.....

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I've recently increased my mileage a bit and I often do longer runs without any water.

Embrace the handheld!

Running is dumb.

onemile

Embrace the handheld!

And here I was proud of myself for stopping at a gas station to buy a bottle of water at mile 12 of my 20 miler on Sunday! When I ran 18 I went without any!

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

And here I was proud of myself for stopping at a gas station to buy a bottle of water at mile 12 of my 20 miler on Sunday! When I ran 18 I went without any!

p.s.  Cookiemonster says to go get your blood sugar tested. 

Running is dumb.

onemile

p.s.  Cookiemonster says to go get your blood sugar tested. 

I saw that.

Can I just buy a test at Walgreens or something? I was just at the doctor 2 months ago. (before this started)

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

You may be able to go in to a CVS or Walgreen's or similar that has a minute clinic on site and ask them to check your blood sugar.  I can't say for sure that they'll be able to but I don't know of any reason why they wouldn't.  Otherwise, unless you had blood work done at your doctor's visit two months ago (and depending on what blood work was done) it may be worth going back to your doctor.  There are a couple blood tests that can be done to assess your overall health risk from diabetes as a random blood glucose measurement may not necessarily be diagnostic.

As you have an established patient/provider relationship already in place my suggestion is to go see your doctor.

MTA: You could probably buy your own glucometer and test strips.  That can get pricey.  And without someone to tell you what the numbers mean it's all kinda' worthless.

***************************************************************************************

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

Just as an aside, since there was talk about diet soda, this recent study published in the journal Nature adds fuel to the fire that artificial sweeteners are bad and can contribute to a lot of badness.  Results suggested that artificial sweeteners can actually increase your blood sugar levels.

That could add some discussion material if and when the OP see's her doc.

Yes, I know.  We're bombarded every day with new stories about what will kill us.  A little extra knowledge, however, is never a bad thing.

delicate flower

Just as an aside, since there was talk about diet soda, this recent study published in the journal Nature adds fuel to the fire that artificial sweeteners are bad and can contribute to a lot of badness.  Results suggested that artificial sweeteners can actually increase your blood sugar levels.

Here we demonstrate that consumption of commonly used NAS formulations drives the development of glucose intolerance through induction of compositional and functional alterations to the intestinal microbiota. These NAS-mediated deleterious metabolic effects are abrogated by antibiotic treatment, and are fully transferrable to germ-free mice upon faecal transplantation of microbiota configurations from NAS-consuming mice, or of microbiota anaerobically incubated in the presence of NAS.

Note to self:  Get medical degree.  Come back and read article.

<3