Beginners and Beyond

Thaumaturgic Thursday Penguins (Read 25 times)

Zelanie

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!) Big grin

Zelanie

thau·ma·tur·gy  (thôm-tûrj) n.  The working of miracles or magic feats.

Because who couldn't use some more magic in their Thursday?

Mia is very sick, so I am up early.  I am hoping she can hang on to her afternoon vet appointment, especially since I work in the morning and I don't think there's anyone who can cover me since I am going in as a sub.  Things always look worse at night, right?  So hopefully she will be feeling a bit better with the daylight.

I am still hoping to get 6 in after my evening WW meeting.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Poor puppy.

I got 10K in this morning, did some icing and some foam rolling.  Have to run.  Can't get to Detroit sitting on the couch.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Philliefan33

Mel -- poor puppy!  I imagine it is almost as bad as having an ill child.

Awood -- "Can't get to Detroit sitting on the couch" -- very true.  I occasionally have to tell myself that  "the miles won't run themselves"

AFM -- Last night's run did not go as planned.  I was supposed to do an 8.5 mile run at easy pace.  After a couple of miles my legs and feet were really hurting.  I was feeling every little pebble in the road and each landing jarred my knees.  I finally called it quits after 5.5 miles and walked a mile back to the car.  I think it was the shoes -- they are starting to show wear on the bottom, but I thought I could get another 100 miles or so out of them.  I guess not.  That means I have only one pair of shoes that I can wear on longer runs, and three that can only be worn occasionally on short / easy runs.  Time to go shoe shopping!

From the Internet.

Oh poor Mia Sad Hope the vet can help her out.

Awood - I like "can't get to Detroit sitting on the couch", it's got a nice ring to it. I'm assuming you meant it literally with all the driving you do for work, but I think we should make it a motivational phrase, haha Smile

Phillie - boo for the painful run, but yay for shoe shopping!

3 miles this morning. Went to the track so I could have some company while the club did their workout, it figures that the workout today was to leave the stadium and run hills! :P So I mostly ran by myself, it was my first run that was mostly on the streets instead of track or dirt path. We'll see how the legs feel come tomorrow. Still stiff and sore from Tuesday's weightlifting. Oof.

Need to spend today catching up on some writing that I've been neglecting.. I'll probably check back in at some point if I can't get into the writing zone and need a break. Have a good day all!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Happy Magical Thursday!   Morning running for me is becoming a habit, as the San Antonio temp yesterday hit 103 and today we are predicted to get to 104.   I was up at 4:30 a.m, at the Y by 5:15 a.m. and on the road for my run/walk by 5:30 a.m.  I did 3.5 miles of hills this morning.  Temp was a 'cool' 79 degrees already, dewpoint of 73, and humidity in the 80 percentile.  My biggest hill, about 1/2 mile long, was right across from the entrance of the San Antonio Zoo. The hill road has the Japanese Sunken Gardens on one side of it and just brushland on the other side of the road.  It's kinda creepy up there in the dark that early in the morning.    As I ran up the road, suddenly this 4-legged 'black' thing ran across the road right in front of me, scaring the bejeebies out of me.  I'm thinking it was a stray dog (I hope!), maybe a coyote, but after watching Lon Chaney last night in an old-time werewolf movie, this was certainly good timing, lol.  And it didn't help that after the whatever-thing went into the brush, I then heard something crashing through the brush to my right, like it was keeping parallel to me as I ran up the road. Talk about incentive to run up the hill faster!  I think I ran up that hill in record time for me, lol.  The top of the hill got me to 'civilization' again, the Trinity University campus, and the rest of my run/walk was thankfully uneventful.

Holidays for August 8: National Zucchini Day, National Frozen Custard Day (neither of which I like), Odie Day (as in, Garfield's pal), and Happiness Day...so be Happy!

zucchini cartoons, zucchini cartoon, zucchini picture, zucchini pictures, zucchini image, zucchini images, zucchini illustration, zucchini illustrations

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  Quartet last night was good, chorus tonight will be good, and it's my Thriday!  My folks should get to town this evening (while I'm at chorus), and then tomorrow we're going to Montpelier, then shopping on Saturday.  It should be a good weekend!

I do have something to share, though.  I heard through the a cappella community that this Chicago singer/songwriter took his own life on Sunday, after battling anxiety, depression, and an eating disorder.  He made a pretty powerful YouTube video, I'm linking it below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NU2uJQ_TMA

It's well worth a watch.

Ok, on to personals!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Zelanie -- so sorry to hear Mia is still feeling sick!!  She's had her parvo vaccine, right?  And yes, once the vet gets her on IV support, she'll probably be feeling much better!

Awood -- safe travels!!

Phillie -- have fun shoe shopping!!

Lauren -- hope you get in the zone!!  Once I get back to running, I'd prefer to come back running dirt paths.  Unfortunately the closest trail is 20 minutes away ... wondering if I can get the same effect just running on the side of my road?  Unless I fall in the ditch ...

Scotty -- freaky monster encounter!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Morning! Working from home, so 13 miles this morning.

Z, hope Mia is doing better!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Sorry about your doggie, Zelanie.  Hope it's nothing serious and she is feeling better in no time. Good luck with your run after your wrestling.  That's what WW is, right...Women's Wrestling?  Joking

Safe trip to Detroit, Awood!  Isn't that where LRB (from the dailies) resides?  You gonna try to FE with him?

Sorry about the shortened run, Philly, and good luck with the new shoe shopping!  I read somewhere - RW magazine, or Running Times, or something like that -  that you can actually eke out a few more miles from older shoes by simply replacing the insoles in them with a 'sturdier" OTC insole like spenco, superfeet, powerstep, etc. This will give you some additional support and then you can maybe eke out another 50 - 100 miles from them, and it's a cheaper 'short fix' for a while if you're not able yet to afford to buy new running shoes.

Glad you got the miles in, but sorry about the sore legs, Lauren. I bailed on my weight training yesterday - bad dog bad dog! - but Gail wants to start weight training too, so we decided our day would be Sunday after she gets home from church. With her also going, that should help me get back on track too.

Happy Thriday for you, HsM!  Enjoy the time with your parents!

Congrats on your 13 miles, Damaris.  Since you're working at home, you can be "at court" in pajamas today, right? Joking

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

SheCan

Good morning Penguins,

Zelanie, I so hope your Mia is going to be alright.  she did have a distemper shot and all her other shots right?  It really might be out of your hands at this point.  Hang in there.

Awood-- great job on the 10k!

Margo-- sorry about the run.  I think we all have had runs that just didn't work like that.  Sometimes all you can do is call it a day.

Lauren-- hi ya!  Good job on the 3 miles.  Glad you got some street running in.

Scotty-- I ate all my zucchini last night, so I'll just have to celebrate national happiness day today instead.  Yikes @ that critter you saw.  I've noticed there's some strange animals out at night that we never see during the day.  Most probably you're right, about it being a werewolf or a possibly a chupacabra.  Geez@ your weather.  No wonder you're getting up early.

HOpesMom-- Yay@ your folks coming tonight.  Hope y'all have a lovely weekend together.  As someone who has battled anxiety and depression, I know how difficult they can be to overcome.  So sad that he felt he couldn't go on any longer.

Docket-- enjoy your day at home!  Great job on the 13!

Got in 4 miles fairly early this morning, straightened up around the house, and am enjoying by coffee outside at the moment.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Zelanie

Mia is back from the vet. I am relieved that they didn't have to keep her.  We are trying fluids and anitbiotics until tomorrow and see what happens.  I'm also trying to get in touch with my FIL who had her while we were away, because there's a chance it could be salmon poisoning.

Camping trip is maybe off for this year.  DH would stay home with Mia, but at what point do you just say trying to go is more trouble than just skipping it?  And of course, if we don't go, there's a 5K I could run on Saturday. Wink  On the other hand, how many chances will I have to camp with DD before she isn't interested anymore?

Dad on the run.

Just making a quick stop to say Hi, busy at work as usual here lately. Ready to be back on day shift so my running will become a little more normalized. Haven't been able to run much but can definitely feel the effects of taking the month off for my leg. 4 miles was brutal. Weight lifting is still going well and in the 4 weeks I have been doing it I can tell that I've gotten a bit stronger.

Date night Saturday with the love of my life. We can't decide what to go watch though, it is a toss up between wolverine, percy jackson and 2 guns. Isn't my wife awesome! She loves nerd movies Wink

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

5.25 running miles today, still walking a bit after each mile.  K3's today looking good.  It was a perfect day with lots of runners on the Trail.  DD made it over for dinner on the deck.  Weekend has started.

Hope Mia is better, Mel.