Beginners and Beyond

Bullying (Read 129 times)

Hip Redux

Anyone following the Dolphins/Incognito story?   This guy sounds like a real treat.   But... is this really the only case of bullying in the NFL?  Somehow I think it's a lot more common in locker rooms than people would make it seem.

I was bullied a lot as a kid.  (but really...who wasn't?)  I had one kid on my bus (middle school through to HS) stick gum in my hair, sing lewd songs about me, threaten to kill my dog, threaten to beat me up....  this kid grew up to be not-so-great member of society, if you can imagine!   There was also a girl in HS who used to tell people I was "half black" because of my crazy curly hair.   That really didn't bother me, I just thought it made her look like an awful bigot.   Plus I broke her finger (accidentally, I swear) in gym class, so you know, karma.  Big grin

Anyone think Incognito will ever play another NFL game?  I wonder if he's done.  Who wants that guy in their locker room?

delicate flower

Based on the voicemail transcripts they've reported, that's just not something one normal human says to another, no matter what occupation or walk of life.  I think he'll play in the NFL again though because there is always a team in need of a good offensive lineman, and they'll take a chance on him.  Players have done worse things and have gotten second chances.  But for the rest of his life and beyond, this is what he'll be known for.  Way to leave a legacy, pal.

I think every person at some point has been bullied.  It wasn't too much of an issue for me as a kid because of the company I kept.  The last time I truly felt bullied was in 10th grade and I responded by punching the kid in the face when I had been pushed too far.  Fortunately no teaches saw it and no one ever bothered again.

<3

happylily

I have no idea what this story is (it's about bullying, from what I understand), I will google it. But I am sorry that you had to live in fear during your childhood, Oski. I was bullied by my own father, but I learned to put him back in his place when necessary. My son was also bullied his first few years in high-school, because he is very introverted and quiet, and that makes him different. But this year is much better for him. We taught him to look people in the eyes and face them. Funny how the bullies can suddenly become cowards...

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

GC100k

My kids had a classmate who bullied other kids including repeatedly bullying a disabled kid in a wheelchair, killed a kid's cat, and publicly and obscenely mocked a kid about his mother dying.  Someone finally punched him and his parents filed a lawsuit, the NY Times did a story on him being a victim of bullying, and he was all over national TV as a poor, sad, bullied kid.

Hip Redux

Lily - here:  Linky.

I didn't live in fear.  However, I did HATE riding the bus!   The kid also pulled a knife on me once.  Oy, what a thug.

Based on the voicemail transcripts they've reported, that's just not something one normal human says to another, no matter what occupation or walk of life.

This is what I keep thinking.

I think the term "bullying" is beginning to be overused (and misused in a lot of cases) and while this situation may fit the definition it goes well beyond bullying. If I were to have texted and left voice messages to a co-worker similar to these I would guess there would be a really good chance I would be having a few chats with the police.

LRB

This topic strikes a chord with me.  Of the dozen or so fights I have had in my life, most of them early on were fighting bullies, some of which were not even bullying me!

I was 7 years old when I had my first fight with one, and all my brother told me was to hit that motherfucker in the mouth as hard as I could, and even though I was scared shitless, that is exactly what I did (or tried to do) then, and in each and every case since.

As I got older, I was usually cool with the in crowd, but I never could stand to see others being bullied.  Shit, I actually got shot at once for standing up to one for someone else!  To this day when I see it, the the hairs raise on the back of my neck each time!

I am unsure how bad it got in this particular case, but having been a part of organized sports from childhood through 40 years of age, there is no way in hell I would have stood idly by and said nothing

RSX

I was bullied growing up until I started lifting weights. When the bullied player left the team, he wasn't taken seriously until he produced the texts. I hope that player gets traded as it sounds like enough teammates are still sticking up for Incognito. I hope Incognito doesn't play the rest of the season. You know he will play somewhere else after he gets counseling.

happylily

What is wrong with people? Some days, when I read the news too extensively, I wonder if there is something contagious that is going around which could be air borne. Are we all becoming morons or what? So many people acting so stupidly...

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Hip Redux

This is what I keep thinking.

I think the term "bullying" is beginning to be overused (and misused in a lot of cases) and while this situation may fit the definition it goes well beyond bullying. If I were to have texted and left voice messages to a co-worker similar to these I would guess there would be a really good chance I would be having a few chats with the police.

This is true.   Have official charges been made, or is the NFL "handling" this internally?  I haven't seen if the police are involved.

Incognito has quite the track record too of being an ass - even opposing players knew to steer clear, from the sounds of it.

RSX

Right now it is just an NFL matter. I bet the police get involved at some point. In addition to the disturbing texts, there is also an extortion possibility. Jonathan refused to go to Vegas on 1 trip, and somehow felt obligated to pay the players $15k as a punishment.

Ric-G

yes, this is one incredible, ridiculous, stupid, harmful, hateful story. there are many layers and may necessitate a better view of what is "bullying." the term is thrown around a lot more today. my older son stood up for another kid getting bullied (picked on?) and he was disciplined the same way as the instigator. that is a problem. standing up to a bully usually shuts them down. but a zero tolerance policy to all physical harm is not always best. in this case another kid was being kicked on the ground by someone. my son tackled him and pinned him down. i told my son he did the right thing by stepping in. this incognito (can't get over the guy's name!) case sounds over the top and i hope he doesn't play anymore, but someone will probably pick him up after his release. i just don't want to see him get a book deal...but stranger things have happened. 

marathon pr - 3:16

GC100k

btw, both of Martin's parents are lawyers.

btw, both of Martin's parents are lawyers.

Martin's father, grandfather and great-grandfather attended Harvard. Martin attended Stanford. I'm guessing he didn't fit Incognito's vision of a what a football player should be.

Meanwhile let's take a look at some of the experiences Incognito had in college:

In 2001.....He had his first disciplinary action, however, when he was ejected for fighting from the Huskers' game against Penn State and forced to sit out the first half of the Iowa State game the next week.

In the spring of 2003, he was suspended for unspecified reasons by head coach Frank Solich.

In February 2004, Incognito was involved in a fight at a party and was charged with three counts of assault. In June, he was found guilty on one of the misdemeanor assault charges and paid a $500 fine.

On September 1, he was suspended from the football team for repeated violations of team rules and withdrew from all classes at Nebraska within a few weeks.

In late September, he transferred to the University of Oregon, only to be dismissed from the team a week later. Head coach Mike Bellotti said Incognito failed to meet the conditions he'd agreed to meet before his arrival in Eugene. Bellotti didn't elaborate, but Incognito had been required to complete an anger-management course and adhere to a strict code of conduct.

Incognito has been an asshole for a long long time. I have no sympathy for whatever befalls him as he has had plenty of second chances in his life.

RSX

His father is an a-hole also, and has been posting bad things about Martin and another player on a Dolphin blog.