Beginners and Beyond

Unlimited BEER thread. Who's game? (Read 199 times)

Love the Half

The thing that is remarkable about many Belgian beers is that they are so complex.  Every sip brings something you didn't find before.  The only downside is that they sometimes don't survive the trip well.  By that, I mean that you never know what the shipping conditions were like and they may have spent 2-3 weeks in a 100+ degree shipping container.  I have dumped more than a few.  Gulden Draak uses the completely opaque bottle and that helps.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Will run for scenery.

Yeah I think that's true.  I came across the St. Bernardus 12 (without the name Sixtus) at a local store recently.  It was okay, but I didn't hear a chorus or anything.  I wasn't sure if maybe I was being too harsh, perhaps over-remembering how good it was.  But the truth is that cellars in Belgium don't change temperature at all, and shipping containers and warehouses do.

I have the same problem with imported cheese.  I remember it being so fantastic over there; here it's like biting into a salt lick.  But then there are silly American cheese laws the exporters have to cave into if they want to sell here.

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

Love the Half

Dayum.  I'm sitting here with my first Guiness Foreign Extra Stout.  As crappy as regular Guiness is, this is fabulous.  I mean unreal good.

Appearance - Pours a deep, deep brown into a tulip glass that is as close to black as you can get without being black.  It's still opaque and no light shall escape from its depths.  The head was huge and lingered and laced.  Tons of seriously tight, small bubbles that never went away.

Aroma - I got a lot of sweetness on the nose.  Lots of dark fruit aromas and sweet malt.  Despite the fact that this has a higher hop level than regular Guiness, I detected none.  A bit of dark chocolate but you really have to look for it.

Taste - Surprisingly different from the aroma.  This ain't no milk stout.  This is a no holds barred, in your face, coming at you with a crapton of roasted malt stout.  Oh.  And here are some hops for your ass too.  And a bit of an alcohol burn.  Dayum.  All kinds of things going on.

Mouthfeel - Like the rest of this terrific beer, lots to say.  Despite the head, the carbonation doesn't seem outrageous.  It's a bit of a creamy mouthfeel but it finishes fairly dry although not as dry as a regular stout.

Overall - This is a great beer.  I have never seen it in WV but I picked it up while I was in Indianapolis and I am damn glad I did.  That was worth six hours in a car with young kids.  Excellent brew.

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

LRS

Chasing Muses

Agree 100%. And the 4-packs aren't that hard to find here. The Giant around the corner always has it in stock. I don't pick it up very often, but when I'm craving a stout I pick some up. Interestingly, it's right next to Old Rasputin on the shelf and I think I might be the only person who has picked up a pack of either at that Giant.

Dayum.  I'm sitting here with my first Guiness Foreign Extra Stout.  As crappy as regular Guiness is, this is fabulous.  I mean unreal good.

Appearance - Pours a deep, deep brown into a tulip glass that is as close to black as you can get without being black.  It's still opaque and no light shall escape from its depths.  The head was huge and lingered and laced.  Tons of seriously tight, small bubbles that never went away.

Aroma - I got a lot of sweetness on the nose.  Lots of dark fruit aromas and sweet malt.  Despite the fact that this has a higher hop level than regular Guiness, I detected none.  A bit of dark chocolate but you really have to look for it.

Taste - Surprisingly different from the aroma.  This ain't no milk stout.  This is a no holds barred, in your face, coming at you with a crapton of roasted malt stout.  Oh.  And here are some hops for your ass too.  And a bit of an alcohol burn.  Dayum.  All kinds of things going on.

Mouthfeel - Like the rest of this terrific beer, lots to say.  Despite the head, the carbonation doesn't seem outrageous.  It's a bit of a creamy mouthfeel but it finishes fairly dry although not as dry as a regular stout.

Overall - This is a great beer.  I have never seen it in WV but I picked it up while I was in Indianapolis and I am damn glad I did.  That was worth six hours in a car with young kids.  Excellent brew.

Love the Half

Here's what I don't get.  Regular Guinness Draught is one of the crappier beers out there.  It's a Coors Light version of a stout yet this FES is damn near an exemplar of the style.  It is marvelous.  How in the world can one brewer make a beer that is so lousy and a beer that is so good?

Will run for scenery.

I've never understood why ordinary Guiness is so popular.  It doesn't taste bad, it simply does not taste.It's very dark, and the bubbles are very tiny, but so what ?

I have to admit I've always dismissed stout b/c I assume it means "dark but flavorless".  I'll keep an eye open for this one, though.

Tonight, no.  Tonight is for my goto $7/bottle Spanish Garnacha.  Yum and cheap. Clown

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

LRS

Chasing Muses

Here's what I don't get.  Regular Guinness Draught is one of the crappier beers out there.  It's a Coors Light version of a stout yet this FES is damn near an exemplar of the style.  It is marvelous.  How in the world can one brewer make a beer that is so lousy and a beer that is so good?

Guinness Draught is what Coors Light drinkers drink to look sophisticated. It has a reputation and a history. Famous for being famous.

Love the Half

Guinness Draught is what Coors Light drinkers drink to look sophisticated. It has a reputation and a history. Famous for being famous.

Agreed.  And I agree that it's fairly flavorless.  It's just not a good beer.  There is a reason why Guinness Draught gets a rating of 65 from the Bro's at Beer Advocate while FES gets a 92.

LRS

Chasing Muses

Picked up a pack of FES tonight and having one now (put back a pack of Wee Heavy). I still can't drink this often, but damn, it's a treat. If I had to pick one distinction between this and Guiness Draught, it's the quality of the malt. Roasted flavor and enough left behind to add a little bit of sweetness (and the extra original gravity).

FES is great.  It's ridiculously flavorful and moreish (to steal a MJ term) and packs a punch, yet is still not a huge boozy chore to drink like Stone RIS or Oskar Blues Ten-Fidy or Great Lakes Blackout Stout.

I recently had a couple beers from Uinta since they're new a new arrival to my area -- the Hop Notch IPA is a workable beer, while the Sum'r Wheat is a yawner but not bad.  Something like Southern Tier Hop Sun but with herbal hops instead of bright citrusy ones.

Docket_Rocket

I feel the same way about it.  Yuck.  That is why it took me years to try other kinds of Guinness.

I've never understood why ordinary Guiness is so popular.  It doesn't taste bad, it simply does not taste.It's very dark, and the bubbles are very tiny, but so what ?

I have to admit I've always dismissed stout b/c I assume it means "dark but flavorless".  I'll keep an eye open for this one, though.

Tonight, no.  Tonight is for my goto $7/bottle Spanish Garnacha.  Yum and cheap. Clown

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Will run for scenery.

I tried to pick up some of this FES at my favorite, well-stocked LLS.  They had Guiness Extra Stout (6 packs), but not the FES.  I asked about it and they said they got some and it sat on the shelf for so long they had to get rid of it.  So I picked up some Old Rasputin instead. Just in case.

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

Will run for scenery.

Hmm.  I thought I had read about Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout on this thread.  Guess not.  Anyway, it was my fallback when I didn't find the Guiness FES.  Not bad at all! The first stout I've had that I would have another of. (And will, shortly.)   High enough ABV to be interesting, and there are actually several layers of flavor.  In a stout - who knew ?

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

Love the Half

I've had the Old Rasputin a few times and it is one hell of a beer.  I love Russian Imperial Stouts.  I don't know if you did this but to really appreciate it, leave it out of the fridge for 30-45 minutes before you pour.  You'll get much deeper flavors and the mouthfeel is usually significantly creamier if you let it warm a bit.

Will run for scenery.

In fact, I did not do that, but it's precisely what LRB suggested (I mentioned it in the dailies.)  Looks like I've got two more chances, but not tonight - those things pack a wallop.

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!