Beginners and Beyond

Unlimited BEER thread. Who's game? (Read 199 times)

Love the Half

Time for a meh.  It happens from time to time.  Picked up a Dieselpunk Stout allegedly from "Uberbrew" in Montana.  But, when you look at the bottle, it says that it's brewed by "World Brew" in Rochester, NY.  Do a bit of research on that and you end up finding out that Genesee Brewing Company brews this on contract for World Brew so, quite frankly, I'm not sure who the hell brews it.  At any rate, it's about as average as a stout can be.  It's not awful and I suppose for someone who is used to macro brews or maybe someone whose total adventure into craft beer is limited to Sam Adams Boston Lager, it's a decent enough introduction.  But, I am neither used to macro brews and I have had one or two beers other than a Sam Adams Boston Lager.  Glad I only bought one of these.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

tracilynn

Celebrate good times.. Come on ... Doodoop dooodoop.. Woohooo.

Sierra Nevada celebration.

~~~~~~~

Traci

it says that it's brewed by "World Brew" in Rochester, NY.  Do a bit of research on that and you end up finding out that Genesee Brewing Company brews this on contract for World Brew so, quite frankly, I'm not sure who the hell brews it.

I might be reading your post wrong, but Genesee / High Falls is a regional macro in Western New York that dabbles in quasi-craft beer and contract brewing, notably their own Dundee line.  (They make Genny Cream Ale, a best-of-the-worst gem at $14.99 or cheaper for a 30 pack.)

Genny

High Falls on the Genesee River, Rochester NY:

Love the Half

Jay, after doing some research, here's what I can piece together.

Uberbrew is a big brewpub in Billings, MT.  They may brew some of their beers on site but I don't think they actually distribute any beer.  That's where "World Brews" comes in.  That company, "manages all aspects of the beer business, including brewing, brand development, production, distribution, and retail promotion."  In other words, Uberbrews wants to sell a beer with their name on it nationwide but they don't want to go through the expense of building a bottling facility, do their own nationwide product development, advertising, etc.  I imagine they brew Dieselpunk Stout onsite but then they provide the recipe to World Brews.  

Note that World Brews, as a company, brews absolutely nothing.  They subcontract with other brewers to actually brew the beer.  In this case, they contract with Genesse to brew Dieselpunk Stout.  So, Uberbrew contracts with World Brew to market and distribute their beer.  World Brew contracts with Genesse to actually brew the beer.

Had I known all of that, I wouldn't have bought it.  Although I recognize the irrationality of such an approach, I try to buy local products as much as possible and that includes brewers who have the pride to produce their own product to include taking the not inconsiderable risk of investing in very, very expensive bottling equipment.  There is a reason why a the largest volume in the 3 volume series published by the Master Brewers Association deals with packaging.

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

I might be reading your post wrong, but Genesee / High Falls is a regional macro in Western New York that dabbles in quasi-craft beer and contract brewing, notably their own Dundee line.  (They make Genny Cream Ale, a best-of-the-worst gem at $14.99 or cheaper for a 30 pack.)

Genny Screamers! Good times.

Dave

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Modelo.

Love the Half

Going for extremes tonight.  Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA followed by the unabashed malt bomb that is Sam Adams Double Bock.

Love the Half

On tap tonight is North Coast Brewing's Class of '88.  Apparently, there was a collaboration between North Coast, Rogue, and Deschutes with each contributing something and then each adding their take.  The Rogue version garnered some fairly poor reviews but this one got good ones and I'd agree.  The beer pours a slightly hazy deep gold/light amber color.  I'd talk about the aroma but I have the sniffles at the moment and can't smell much.  The flavor makes up for it.  This is really well balanced although it's closer to an English Barleywine than an American Barleywine because the malt is dominant in this beer rather than the hops.  The alcohol, at 10%, seems a bit much in the beginning but settles down and this becomes an easily quaffable beer.  I have it in a 22 ounce bomber and I'm looking forward to seeing how it develops as it warms over the next hour or so.

Had an Ommegang Hennepin on turkey day, a little tradition that my brother started 7-8 years ago.  The crisp, dry saison style pairs well with poultry.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

I have a few leftovers from my Sam Adams holiday variety case. Last night I had some Sierra Nevada Celebration. Not too bad if you like hoppy beers.

Love the Half

Up first tonight, Sam Adams Cream Stout.  Gawd almighty but this is one drinkable stout.  If someone had never consumed a stout, this might be a terrific introduction.  Usually, that means a simple beer but this is far from it.  Instead, there are all kinds of things going on.  The sweetness is forward but there is a lot of deep roast character evident along with notes of dark chocolate, coffee, and blackstrap molasses.  Hops are barely noticeable but they keep the sweetness from overpowering.  I haven't had this beer in a while and I'm reminded of why I loved it the first time.  Up next will be a Samuel Smith Organic Chocolate Stout.  Review to come.

Love the Half

Report on Samuel Smith Organic Chocolate Stout.

This is a dessert of of a beer.  On the nose, you immediately get a ton of milk chocolate notes.  It smells more like a chocolate shake than a beer.  The taste bears this out.  I'm immediately reminded of Southern Tier Creme Brulee.  However, I found that beer just sickeningly sweet.  This beer is sweet but not completely over the top.  Still, I wish I'd had a 12 ounce bottle rather than a half liter bottle or that I opened it with dessert after a nice meal.

Chasing the bus

for me tonight is ridgeways lump of coal. It's a holiday stout, almost black. Aromas of yeast and fruit, flavors of prune, cherry, caramel, bittersweet chocolate, salted caramels, finish is slightly salty and bitter. Pretty nice beer. It's a close second to my current favorite, Sierra Nevada narwhal.

“You're either on the bus or off the bus.”
                            Tom Wolfe, The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test

Chasing the bus

This one I must share; midnight sun brewing Moscow russian Imperial rye. This is the 2013 re-issue of the 2011 world tour beer. Just amazing. Pours like motor oil, pecan colored head. Aromas of cider, yeast, tobacco. Flavors of chocolate, raisin, cider, grapefruit. Fantastically rich, but not as viscose as it looks. This is what I drink when I dream of imperial stouts. Then I wake up, and weep for what was lost. Maybe I shouldn't finish the whole bomber....

“You're either on the bus or off the bus.”
                              Tom Wolfe, The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test

Love the Half

With an a.b.v. of 11%, you could easily age that imperial stout for a few years to see how the flavor develops.