Beginners and Beyond

Penguin's Half Way There - WednesDAILY (Read 22 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!) Big grin

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Morning Peeps.  Painting done. Should get a run/walk in this afternoon.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  6 miles later.

I have a migraine and I will be in court all morning, bah.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Bin Running

Jerry, enjoy the run/walk later.

Damaris, sorry abt the migraine.

9.5M done. Not sure if it's the humidity but I am dripping bucket of sweat when I am done.

Thurs and Friday is public holiday but I'm working tmr. At least Friday is free. National day for us.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Jerry - Congratulations on finishing up the DIY project.  How's the hip feeling?

Docket - I'm glad that you're not a prosecutor.  I can't imagine trying to defend someone in court, and you're on the other side having not run yet and you have a migraine.  I'd tap out.

Bin - I need more information on this holiday.  I'm going to try to claim that holiday myself, and see if it flies with the boss.

AFM - As much as I was dreading a reduced mileage week, I think it's a great thing now.  I have a 6-8 mile run tonight, but slept in a little bit this morning.  I have been spending some extra time on those little aches and pains that I've just learned to live with over the last 12 weeks, and wouldn't you know it...they're going away!  I thought I felt great before.  I start Phase III (the toughest phase) next week, and I kick it off with a 65 mile week.  If I feel like I think I'm going to feel on Monday, this will be a piece of cake.  The biggest thing is that I've had a mild case of achiles tendonitis for some time now.  I usually walk it off in the morning, and I feel it just a bit for the first quarter of a mile.  Then, it goes away.  I've spent this week icing, heating, elevating, stretching, massaging, strengthening and taking NSAID's.  I barely noticed it this morning, and it was gone within the first 3 steps I took when I get out of bed.  Heck, it may have been in my head those first 3 steps.  I don't know.  All I know, is that I've changed the way I look at cutback weeks.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Docket_Rocket

Haha!  The other side is usually afraid of me anyway.  I hardly ever lose.  And don't underestimate the power of "you're not getting paid $300K, but rather $50K".

Jerry - Congratulations on finishing up the DIY project.  How's the hip feeling?

Docket - I'm glad that you're not a prosecutor.  I can't imagine trying to defend someone in court, and you're on the other side having not run yet and you have a migraine.  I'd tap out.

Bin - I need more information on this holiday.  I'm going to try to claim that holiday myself, and see if it flies with the boss.

AFM - As much as I was dreading a reduced mileage week, I think it's a great thing now.  I have a 6-8 mile run tonight, but slept in a little bit this morning.  I have been spending some extra time on those little aches and pains that I've just learned to live with over the last 12 weeks, and wouldn't you know it...they're going away!  I thought I felt great before.  I start Phase III (the toughest phase) next week, and I kick it off with a 65 mile week.  If I feel like I think I'm going to feel on Monday, this will be a piece of cake.  The biggest thing is that I've had a mild case of achiles tendonitis for some time now.  I usually walk it off in the morning, and I feel it just a bit for the first quarter of a mile.  Then, it goes away.  I've spent this week icing, heating, elevating, stretching, massaging, strengthening and taking NSAID's.  I barely noticed it this morning, and it was gone within the first 3 steps I took when I get out of bed.  Heck, it may have been in my head those first 3 steps.  I don't know.  All I know, is that I've changed the way I look at cutback weeks.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Non-running day for me.  Weight training circuit after work.

Today is August 7th, which is National Lighthouse Day, Speakers Day, Raspberries in Cream Day, and Sea Serpent Day

lighthouse cartoons, lighthouse cartoon, lighthouse picture, lighthouse pictures, lighthouse image, lighthouse images, lighthouse illustration, lighthouse illustrations

lighthouse cartoons, lighthouse cartoon, lighthouse picture, lighthouse pictures, lighthouse image, lighthouse images, lighthouse illustration, lighthouse illustrations

public speaking cartoons, public speaking cartoon, public speaking picture, public speaking pictures, public speaking image, public speaking images, public speaking illustration, public speaking illustrations

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Zelanie

Morning!  I have to work for what I hope is a half day, then I have a 6-miler planned.  It's supposed to be much cooler than yesterday!

Our puppy Mia has been throwing up since last night.  She finished her antibiotics for her UTI a few days ago.  I'm hoping it's nothing, and IIRC Mitch's Bella had something similar happen and was OK.  I made her some rice, now we will see if she eats it.  Last night was the first night in her life that she didn't want dinner.  They almost revoked her Labrador card!

Jerry- Congrats on getting the project done, and have a good run later!

D- Hope your day improves.  I didn't get a chance to reply yesterday, but congrats to your DH!

Bin- Nice run!  Enjoy the upcoming holiday.  Perfect weekend for a race. Smile

Awood- You know that we're loving watching how well your training is going, don't you? Smile

Scotty- Enjoy the weight training circuit!

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  My knee tortured me last night because of yesterday's mile walk for lunch.  Between that and the pouring rain, I didn't sleep well.  But I have quartet tonight, chorus tomorrow night, and my folks will be here for a long weekend Thursday night!  So I'll take a vacation day on Friday to spend with them -- should be fun!

Jerryb -- woo-hoo on getting the painting done!!

Docket -- court and a headache cannot mix well ...

Bin -- woo-hoo on your 9.5!!  Enjoy your holiday tomorrow!!

Awood -- evolving philosophy is a good thing!  Keeps your brain from stagnating.

scotty -- good luck with those weights!!  Raspberries in cream sounds goood!  Bet you don't like raspberries ...

Zelanie -- try some pumpkin for Mia -- it's a good anti-nausea for dogs.  Not pumpkin pie filling, but straight canned pumpkin.  Hope she's ok!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Bin Running

Awood, tmr is Hari Raya Puasa. New year or similar for Muslim. Mark the end of their fasting month. Friday is our Independence Day. So, take your pick.

Hopesmom, unfortunately I'm working tmr. Just shorter hours I hope.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Singer who runs a smidge

Bin, I can never remember if today is tomorrow for you!  Add that to the fact that I'm not entirely sure what today is and I'm completely screwed.  Anyway, enjoy whatever holiday you get!  I love holidays ... if I ever won the lottery I would quit in a heartbeat!

Which brings up a QOTD:  What would you do if you won the lottery?

I would quit my job, pay off my car, sell DH's car and give him mine, and buy a Tesla.  I would pay off my house, and then put solar panels on it.  I would put an Endless Pool in the backyard.  I would hire a regular housecleaning service!  I would buy a Roomba.  And a new couch.  And new carpeting for our house, since Dusty ripped up the downstairs carpet and Kaycee keeps peeing on the upstairs carpet.  Actually, I'd hold off on upstairs carpet until Kaycee goes into the light ...

Not that I've given this stuff any thought or anything ... and since I don't actually play the lottery, my chances of winning are pretty slim, indeed!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Bin Running

I don't buy any lottery. But if I do win, I would continue to work. But with a silly grin on my face all day long. Ha

Maybe will get a bigger house and stay with my parents. Also to travel the world.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

From the Internet.

Hi guys! 1.25 miles this morning and walked another 3/4-1 mile or so with the dog. I ended up hitting the gym yesterday afternoon and felt stiff and awful because I haven't lifted anything in at least a month, it was not a pretty run but at least it was my aching quads and glutes rather than my stupid injury-prone lower legs that made it rough. Planning on 3ish miles tomorrow morning and cutting my long run back to 5 on Saturday for my first 4-day week in months!

D - hope your migraine goes away. No fun! Sad

Zel - aw poor pup. Hope she feels better soon!

If I won the lottery, I'd pay off all my and DH's student loans (it's an appalling amount D: ), send the kid to a fancy private school so I could continue to live where I do, buy a house here, and buy a horse. Or two. And a pony for the kid. And I would install cat walkways on all the walls of my house! I would still have to work.. I get bored too easily.

SheCan

Morning my penguin friends!

Jerry-- woooohoooo Great job finishing the painting!

Bin-- yup, bet it's the humidity, and the freaking 9-1/2 miles you ran Joking!  Yay@ you getting a long weekend!

Awood-- you sound like a beast!  You have already put in some tough, tough training.  I don't see how you keep it up.  Anyway, excellent work.

Docket-- Haha!  The other side is usually afraid of me anyway.  I hardly ever lose.  And don't underestimate the power of "you're not getting paid $300K, but rather $50K"."   LMAO-- you sound like my DH.  I guess you bring the same dogged attitude you have as a marathon maniac into the courtroom also.

Zelanie-- sorry your Mia isn't doing well.  Hope you have a cool run later.

HopesMom-- Ouch @ the knee... please let it just be normal tiredness!  Enjoy your long weekend with the folks!  As far as the lottery is concerned, I can't see my life changing much at all if we won.  I'm already a rather spoiled housewife, and I'm not super materialistic, so i can't imagine that there's that much I'd want to buy.  BUT, DH could quit his job, and so then I wouldn't have to hear him complain about it so much, and perhaps we could travel more-- which would be marvelous!

LOL@ Bin's response:   I would continue to work. But with a silly grin on my face all day long.

Did a super easy 7-1/2 today, but picked up the pace ever so slightly at the end.  Going to do some shopping with DD a bit later.   Have a great day everyone!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Jerry, what are you painting? Whatever it is, get creative.

Sorry about the migraine, Damaris.

What's the holiday, Bin?  Give us some Singapore culture!  Big grin  Oh, I see you did do so, down below.  Happy holidays to you!   Independence Day? Independece from what?  The British?   Yeah, we Americans can relate to that!  Big grin  Congrats on your miles.  Yeah, can relate to the sweat thing.  We made it to 105 for our high yesterday...again!  Today's high will ONLY Roll eyes be 102.   Either Mother Nature apparently has a burr up her butt about Texas, or the Devil has decided to vacation here for the summer.

Glad you are dealing with all your aches and pains so well, Awood.  Good luck with that upcoming 65-mile week!

Sorry about the sick pup, Zelanie, hope he feels better.  Enjoy your half day!

Raspberries in cream sounds goood!  Bet you don't like raspberries.  You'd be wrong, HsM, I actually do like raspberries.  It's cream I don't like. Joking   Sounds like you have an active few days coming up!  Enjoy!

felt stiff and awful because I haven't lifted anything in at least a month.  Don't remind me, Lauren, that is probably how I will feel today at my workout!  My doc has already scolded me about not being disciplined about doing my weight training circuit regularly - at LEAST once a week he says, and twice would be better  - especially as it's something I need to do to help with my arthritis.  I shall try and behave. Joking  Good luck with your 3 miles tomorrow!

Must be nice, Cherie, to have your miles always feel so easy!  Can you pass some of your mojo my way?  Where was that photo of you in your avatar taken?  Looks very "westerny".  Every time I look at that, I always look at the road behind you and keep waiting for the Lone Ranger or Zorro to come riding up out of the trees behind you and over that hill....... Wink

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt