Beginners and Beyond

Half Ironman RELAY recap (Read 69 times)

delicate flower

Patriot Half Ironman RELAY in East Freetown, MA (have to emphasize relay).  Wife wanted to do this race.  She's got a solo 70.3 later this year and wanted to swim the 1.2 miles today for the experience.  Our cousin biked, and I did the run, completing our team.  Wife accomplished her mission.  She swam in 47:44 without drowning.  I'm proud of her.

Our cyclist biked the 56 miles in 2:58:06 for a 18.9 mph clip.  Great job considering he hasn't been biking much this year (less than 200 total miles).  He was thrilled.

As for me, I was hoping to PR the HM (1:34:51), but as the day approached I knew that'd be tough given the forecast.  This wasn't a goal race and I just wanted to have a decent run.  It turned out to be mid 70's, 80% humidity, 68 dew point.  That's not bad at all for a casual run, but it's tough to run a half marathon PR in that.  I also wasn't feeling my best, as I had to hit the portapotty five times before my run.  Must have been the greasy dinner last night.    Anyway, not good, man.

We got up at 4:30 this morning, and my run started at 11:30.  That's seven hours of waiting around if you're scoring at home.  I tried not to spend all that time on my feet, but I still spent more time walking around and standing than I would have liked.  When it was time to run, I estimated nine relay teams were out in front of us.  I was hoping we'd get on the podium, so I had work to do and rabbits to catch.

I started fast and knew early on the pace wasn't sustainable.  I settled into my groove around mile four and held pretty steady the rest of the way.  I was sweating like a pig from the first mile and grabbed about six cups of water during the race.  I took no pride in passing so many solo triathletes and made sure to tell them I was a relay runner when they gave me props for my fast running.  I was also picking off relay runners.  I passed seven of them.  One I passed at mile 10 cursed and tried to keep pace when I passed, and I could hear him sucking wind.  Three miles to go though, pal...no chance you'll keep up.  He was the last one I passed.  Our team ended up finishing in 5th place out of 27 relay teams.  We were locked into that spot too.  The team in 4th was 15 minutes ahead of us, and the team in 6th was 15 minutes behind us.  Solid work by our team and I'm pleased with my run.

My splits:

7:08, 7:08, 7:26, 7:36, 7:41, 7:52, 7:55, 7:40, 8:07, 7:54, 7:50, 7:57, 7:55.

Officially 1:40:17.  I was completely soaked from sweat and humidity when I finished.  I also felt totally drained.  I shouldn't feel that wiped out after a HM.  DW had to drive home because I wasn't feeling well.  As I am sitting here typing this, my legs are killing me.  I am guessing my body is fighting something.

Our main goal today was to get MtnBikerChk her swim experience and have fun, and in that it was a success.  We had a blast.  One month until my next race, which is a duathlon.

<3

Nice job, Team Baboon! Overall super impressive performance.

Sounds like a rough day, although 1:40 sounds pretty damn speedy to me. Never thought about the issues with the 3rd leg of a tri, huge difference from just running a HM - the waiting around, and the mid-day heat. Can't imagine how you'd expect to come close to PR under those conditions. (Not to mention the extra portapotty requirements. )

Now rest up, and go eat a horse.

Dave

Sweet!  Sounds like a lot of fun, congrats Baboon, MBC, and biking cousin.

LRB

Congrats to the MBC....and her honey...and his & her cousin (how's that work? lol).

That's a pretty solid time Boon and a nice run 3 weeks removed from your marathon!

B-Plus

Congrats team Baboon!

..and his & her cousin (how's that work? lol).

Connetitucky?

outoftheblue

Sounds like a good day, all and all, for you and your family.   Congrats to everyone.  It must be weird running as a relay runner.   Maybe you need a T-shirt or something, proclaiming your status as a relay runner and issuing whatever apologies are deemed necessary for smoking the exhausted  tri-athletes down the home stretch.

Life is good.

Docket_Rocket

Nice job, considering the time of the race and the temps!  Great job, MBC!  Good luck with your 70.3!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

That would be tough to PR in that heat and humidity. That is a nice time. That event sound like fun and I hope to try one of those at some point. I would be happy to do the run but I want nothing to do with a bike or water. Good job, Baboon.

Julia1971

One I passed at mile 10 cursed and tried to keep pace when I passed, and I could hear him sucking wind.  Three miles to go though, pal...no chance you'll keep up.

You're funny.

Congrats, MtnBikerChk!  I don't think we've "met" on the forums but I can't imagine swimming that far all at once.  Good luck later in the year with your full tri.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Those were a couple quick early miles considering the conditions. You looked pretty consistent once you settled in on a sustainable pace. Nice touch to let the solo runners know you were on a relay team.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Congrats on your half, especially in those conditions - your weather and your body!  Hope your body soon kills off whatever it is that it is fighting.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

delicate flower

Thanks, y'all.  One of these times I'll run a good race and not have to list a bunch of excuses for missing a goal.

Turns out my run was 4th of out 27 in the relay division.  Not bad but first would have been better. 

<3

Hip Redux

Nice job, guys!!

Where are the photos?

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

Nice job, guys!!

Where are the photos?

all loaded up on the computer ready to load to FB Tongue

Thanks all.  now I just need to learn to swim STRAIGHT.