Beginners and Beyond

Workaholic Wendesday Penguins (Read 21 times)

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!

What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I wanted to get a post in before I have to hop back in the car.  I evidently don't have the vocab that some of the other penguins have.  Oh well!

I had a great workout last night with a 2 mile warmup followed by 7X800 with 400 recovery.  I finished it up with some hills and a cool down for 10 miles total.  Only one month until the Oak Barrel Half Marathon, and Whiskey Hill is looming in my head.  I have the Sarah Strong 5K this weekend.  Some of you may have seen the purple Sarah Strong t-shirt on television.  A lot of celebrities actually went out of their way to support Sarah.  She passed away from cancer last year at a very young age.  This race is to benefit the foundation that her family started.  There is a unique feature to this race.  If you can run the first mile between 5:33 and 6:00, you get a special shirt that says, "I Ran The Sarah Mile".  She ran a 5:33 mile the year that she was diagnosed with cancer.  I don't have a shot at that, but I'm going to TRY to run it under 23 minutes.  It's a long shot, but I have a shot.  My weight is finally headed in the right direction, and I'm just a hair under 230 again.  That's still 85 pounds less than where I started at.  Hopefully, I'll be back in the low to mid 220's by Oak Barrel.  That's a pretty good weight for me.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Docket_Rocket

Keep at it, Awood!

Morning!  SRD for me.  FE with Marjorie tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Dad on the run.

Awood - Keep up the good work on the weightloss, I understand how your feeling, I jumped from 194 to 220 and can definitely feel it in my running performance! I really wanted to run the Oak Barrel and get to meet you but that's way to close to our son's due date and I don't think leaving my wife or making her ride from several hours would be a good idea.

Ran 3 miles lastnight at a nice comfy 9:45m/m. I've gone 7 days straight of running which is my longest streak, go me! lol.... Today is a "RD" so I may just do 2 miles with the dogs at a much slower pace than normal. I'm feeling a little tight in my lower calves.

My Garmin has upped my VO2 max number from 42 to 46. That changes my race prediciton on my watch by a pretty large amount. Now it's telling my I should be able to run based of my V02 max a 22:40 5k. I laugh every time I even think about running a 22:40. There isn't a snow balls chance in hell of me running that kind of time...

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

hog4life

Tempo run later when I get up. I'll join the talk of 5k time, for the Rumpshaker, I hope to break 23:00.

Jimmy, maybe you can catch Oak Barrel next year.

Bin Running

I have more or less hover between 150-155 for a while. I am starting on 2 month later shift and can put some time to run before work everyday. Should have a more decent mileage for these 2 mths.

6.5M done today.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Zelanie

Well since we're in weight confession mode, I'm up around 135 when I'd prefer to be around 129.  Not a huge difference, but sometimes it can be hard to tell whether I'm eating just to eat or if I'm hungry from the extra miles.  Today I think I'm going to put the girl scout cookies from my desk into the staff room.  That should be a good step.

I have 5 x 1200 at the track tonight.

Awood- Good luck this weekend!

D- Enjoy the FE!

Jimmy- I hope you have a great race, whatever time you run!

Mitch- Good luck!

Bin- Glad to hear that your schedule is improving!

Singer who runs a smidge

Hi Penguins!!  Well, I'm back at work today, but apparently my tech is not.  He didn't say anything, so I have no idea why he's not here, but oh well.  Looks like I'm manning the lab alone today!!  Our area schools are still closed today, but the roads weren't too treacherous, just icy in spots.  We ended up with about 4-5 inches, but I think it's supposed to be 60 degrees this weekend.  Life is never dull!!  Quartet rehearsal tonight, with more coaching from our guru.

Awood -- sounds like everything is coming together!!

Docket -- enjoy the SRD and FE!!

jblack -- nice streak, and stretch those calves!!

Bin -- woo-hoo for your 6.5!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Zelanie, you snuck in on me!!

As for weight, people would look at me and definitely say I could stand to lose a few, or a lot.  But I eat only when I'm hungry, try to choose more vegetables than chocolate, and haven't stepped on a scale in a year and a half.  I'm happy, and I refuse to tie my life to a number.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Zelanie

I'm happy, and I refuse to tie my life to a number.

Sounds like you're in good shape then. Smile

Docket_Rocket

Morning, Zelanie, you snuck in on me!!

As for weight, people would look at me and definitely say I could stand to lose a few, or a lot.  But I eat only when I'm hungry, try to choose more vegetables than chocolate, and haven't stepped on a scale in a year and a half.  I'm happy, and I refuse to tie my life to a number.

A number is not everything.  And I've always thought the calories in vs. out was bullshit, especially when I counted every calories and ate what was enough or less and still gained during this hormonal debacle, so not all is black and white.  Keep doing what you're doing and be happy.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Went to the San Antonio Riverwalk yesterday after work.   That is the 'deadest' I have ever seen the Riverwalk.  It was a bit chilly, with a wind blowing,  so virtually no patrons/tourists eating at the outdoor patios of the Riverwalk restaurants, only a very few pedestrians out-and-about walking.  And a few other runners out there too.  Very characteristically uncrowded for the Riverwalk, so I took advantage of the wide open pathways and went a bit farther than my intended 3 miles, ending up with 4.2 miles, nice.

Today I am off work as it is Colonoscopy Prep Day - oh yay!   No solid foods today , other than what is on the list the doc gave me - and I can't have anything colored red either -  so I am enjoying a 'hearty' breakfast of chicken broth.  I also have sugar-free popsicles, blue-colored jello, and some jolly ranchers hard candies.    Gail will be my designated driver tomorrow, taking me to the hospital at 8 a.m.   Fun stuff.

Congrats on the weight loss, Awood, and good luck with your upcoming race!  Good cause.  Congrats on your workout last night!

Enjoy the FE with Marjorie, Damaris!  Take photos!

Congrats on your streak, Jimmy!   Sounds like you've overcome all those past aches and pains you were having.   Enjoy the rest day, you earned it! Have fun with the doggies if you go out.

Good luck with your time-goal, Mitch!

150 - 155...I haven't seen those days since I was about 40 Bin, lol. I'm just happy I'm finally under 200 lbs again!  Nice you can put some more time out for your run.  Shift work? What do you do?

Glad you made it safe to work in all that stuff, HsM!  Sorry about your lab tech not being there.  So..you are in charge today!

Zelanie,  the way you run, I'm guessing that extra 6 pounds you don't want to have is not fat, it's all leg, hip, thigh, glutes, etc, muscles!  Power Woman!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Bin Running

Scotty, I'm 40 this year so the number abt right. Haa. Working in a bank that required us to support different region. Thus, the different hour shift.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Posted 3/4 by Ginny:  Scotty - enjoy the days off, as much as you can with a colonoscopy in the middle.  I keep saying no when the doctor asks if I want one, but one of these days I'll have to go.  DH's doctor told him he was somewhat anemic and they needed to do a colonoscopy to make sure he wasn't bleeding internally, so he finally broke down and had one, and then the doctor said, "No you're not anemic.  Sorry about that."  But at least he was clear, and won't have to do it again for a while.

Oh, I'm an old hand at it by now.  Because my cancer was found when I was only 29 years old, I've had a colonoscopy every 5 years since I was 29!   I'm 60 now, so that is a lot of  colonscopies BEHIND me.      Mine is every 5 years because of my medical history and my family history of colon cancer in the family.   If you have any family history of it, you should probably get one done just to be safe.  Early detection is KEY and that's what saved my butt...literally!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

From the Internet.

Hi pens! Quick 2 miles outside, in capris since it was 27F instead of negative a million. I might even break out shorts for my long run this weekend since it's supposed to be in the 40s! Forgot my earwarmer headband thing but wasn't out for long enough to be miserable without it. Upper body weights after, my arms are starting to look jacked instead of scrawny and sad, which is pretty cool Big grin

On the topic of weight, I'm just a couple pounds less than I was 2 years ago before I decided to lose weight and start running - I've gained back 12 pounds in the last year, but my clothes mostly still fit (have a couple pairs of jeans that can't handle my quads now) and I look better than I did at 120 since a fair amount of the new weight is muscle. Hooray weightlifting!