Beginners and Beyond

10k and 5k training (Read 58 times)

No more marathons

Now that all that marathon foolishness is behind me   I want to focus on the 10k, and some on the 5k.  My goal would be to get close to the same age graded percents I achieved in my youth.  My current 10k pr has me at about 74.5 and my mid 30's pr was about 78.5 - so I've got a ways to go.  I would need to drop almost 2:30 - don't really see that as likely - but want to give it a fair shot.

So, question is, what do any of you who focus on that distance use as training plan?  I will most likely come up with a home grown that includes a couple of track sessions per week, one semi long run, and filler.  What do you find that works for you?

And if there is a better board to address this I'd appreciate that feedback too.

Thanks

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

Love the Half

Daniels 5K-15K plan.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

LRB

I also used the Daniels 5 to 15k plan the results of which have been consistent, predictable and remarkable. You have to have a good grasp on his concepts and ideals though or you may not realize your full potential....or in your case your current potential seeing as how you are a former running rock star.

The sub-20:00 5k or bust thread on RW has some pretty cool peeps and a ton of training talk but Daniels was always my base.  That thread can be a bit much to keep up with when everyone is posting but there is good stuff there.

As for pacing the 10k, I generally use the tempo pace assigned to my current vdot value which is based on Daniels' vdot chart (link) as my pseudo guide.  In the half dozen or so 10k's I have raced that way, it has never failed me.

This year, I may get a little more aggressive and pace my 10k's 10 to 15 seconds off of my 5k time should the course, conditions and my fitness on that particular day allow for it.

No more marathons

Thanks for the info.  I've played around with JDs calculator - but haven't read the book.  Amazon here I come.

He's a leaker!

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Thanks for the info.  I've played around with JDs calculator - but haven't read the book.  Amazon here I come.

It's an easy read. One of the reasons I went with his book/guide was because you can just hear the words of a coach coming off of those pages.

- Andrew

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

If you've use Pfitz's Advanced Marathoning, check out his book, Road Racing for Serious Runners. It covers everything from 5K to the marathon and even has a section on cross country.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

LRB

If you've use Pfitz's Advanced Marathoning, check out his book, Road Racing for Serious Runners. It covers everything from 5K to the marathon and even has a section on cross country.

True.

No more marathons

Amazon has Road racing for serious runners 1998, and Daniels Running Formula 3rd edition.  Are these the two we're talking about?

He's a leaker!

meaghansketch

Yes on the Pfitzinger.  I think most people are probably referencing the 2nd edition of Daniels, since the 3rd edition just came out.

Either edition should work fine, though; I haven't been through the 3rd edition yet that closely but I don't think the changes are that major.  I think what used to be a 5-15K plan is now a 5-10K plan, and IIRC a half-marathon plan has been added.  One of the changes is that in the 3rd edition, each plan has a couple different levels depending on how much you're running, so there is one plan if you're doing 40-50 mpw and a different plan if you're doing 50-70 mpw (not sure of exact numbers, I don't have the book with me)

I'm doing a modified version of the 5-10K plan now.  Nothing to report yet (still on week 3) but it's got some good tough workouts.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Amazon has Road racing for serious runners 1998, and Daniels Running Formula 3rd edition.  Are these the two we're talking about?

Barnes & Noble has them, too. (Plug for the company I work for.)

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Love the Half

One of the keys for Daniels though is to read the whole book so that you can adjust what is called for in the plans.  For example, by reading the whole book, you will know that "I" paced running should be limited to 6 miles or 8% of weekly mileage whichever is less and that "I" paced running should last 3-5 minutes.

The plan might call for something like 6 x 1,600.  However, given that you won't cover 1,600 meters in 5 minutes, you might adjust that to 1,200's.  Moreover, 6 miles is 8% of 75 miles.  If your weekly mileage is more like 50 miles, then you would limit your "I" running to 4 miles.  So, the plan calls for 6 x 1,600 but you know to adjust that to 5 or 6 x 1,200.  (6 x 1,200 = 7,200 meters which is just a smidge over 4 miles).

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

I think what used to be a 5-15K plan is now a 5-10K plan, and IIRC a half-marathon plan has been added.  One of the changes is that in the 3rd edition, each plan has a couple different levels depending on how much you're running, so there is one plan if you're doing 40-50 mpw and a different plan if you're doing 50-70 mpw (not sure of exact numbers, I don't have the book with me)

Dang, now I might have to pick up the new revision.

- Andrew

No more marathons

Sounds like Daniels might be the better choice - Pfitz is somewhat dated at 16 years old.  And if v3 has breakdowns for different running levels then that might address some of the issues pointed out by LTH.

He's a leaker!

meaghansketch

Sounds like Daniels might be the better choice - Pfitz is somewhat dated at 16 years old.  And if v3 has breakdowns for different running levels then that might address some of the issues pointed out by LTH.

It has levels for mileage but not for VDOT-- so for example someone with a VDOT of 30 would be doing their T (tempo) runs at a 10:00 pace, whereas someone with a VDOT of 50 would be doing their T runs at a 7:00 pace (approximately).

So a workout which is 3 x 1 mile at T pace would be 30 minutes at T pace for one runner but 21 minutes at T pace for the other, and the plans doesn't make any adjustments for that.

For your paces it's probably fine as is, but slower runners will still have to do a bit (or a lot) of adjusting.

LRB

I have both Daniels versions and like the 2nd edition because it is simpler, which is saying a lot because getting to understand Daniels is not simple at all in the beginning.

That said like Meaghan I am not following it to a T but rather have tweaked it to work for me.  In either case I do not think you can go wrong.

Does anyone have any feedback on Hudson?