Beginners and Beyond

Bad Medicine FriDAILIES (Read 36 times)

StepbyStep-SH

WELCOME TO THE DAILIES THREAD!

Anyone and everyone can post your runs, cross-training, abdominal work, rest days, race plans, training questions, etc.. The only stupid question is the one you did not post. There’s a great mix of beginners and veterans, runners and walkers, and maniacs and returners, from injury to running. We're all a little crazy here, too! While this thread is a terrific source of motivation for runners and serves as outstanding accountability, you’ll quickly find this remarkable group to be highly supportive of all life experiences. So, come on in, put your feet up, and stay a while (not literally)! And whoever is up first is welcome to start the thread and we definitely keep some weird hours here.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

StepbyStep-SH

Title courtesy of Hair Nation on Sirius Radio, which planted a lovely little earworm yesterday. But it's better than the song my son has been singing since late October when they started getting ready for the school Christmas concert that starts "We are Santa's elves, filling Santa's shelves..." Try running a 10-miler with that on a loop in your brain. Joking

Anyway, 5 slow and easy on tap since I have a 5k tomorrow. And I think I will get to run on snow for the first time this year - I can see just a dusting of the white stuff on the ground outside.

Have a great day, fellow runners!

LRB

Good morning!

No running for me today but I will do a dynamic warmup, then a series of explosive high kicks before work.  I have really come to like those for stretching my tight ass which in case anyone cares, is not so tight anymore!  Cool

delicate flower

Hair Nation on Sirius Radio

Guilty pleasure.  Yesterday I heard Coming Home by Cinderella.  Big grin

Good morning, and Happy Jeans Friday for $3!  It is dark and raining out there today.  Whether or not that continues will determine the nature of my post-work run today.  MBC and I have a weekend of chores and Turkey Day prep to tend to.  And football.  And running.  For shizzles werd.

<3

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

BRRR for San Antonio today and this weekend!     Last night at 6 PM it was 75 degrees.  This morning at 6 am it is 45 degrees with a cold rain falling and the wind blowing at about  20 mph.  Per the weather folks, our temps will continue to drop throughout the day and tonite - when all the high school football games are going on - it will be 39 degrees!  I have a 5K race tomorrow morning.  Predicted weather is light rain, a stiff wind, and temp at 9 a.m. start time of around 42 degrees.  High tomorrow of only 59 degrees and on Sunday - on which I have a second 5K to do - a high for the day  of only  52.    That's not cold by some folks' standards, but for we South Texans that is COLD!   Nasty weather this morning.   San Antonio folks overall do not drive well in bad weather, I predict there will be several accidents today, unfortunately.  I got up at 5 a.m. and came in to work early just to avoid rush hour, and avoid the 'idiot drivers' out in all this weather mess.

Should hopefully be an easy work day for me today.   We have a Thanksgiving pot-luck lunch at 11 a.m. and then I am taking off an hour early - 3 PM Texas time - to pick up my packet and pick up a prescription for Gail.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Guilty pleasure.  Yesterday I heard Coming Home by Cinderella.  Big grin

Good morning, and Happy Jeans Friday for $3!  It is dark and raining out there today.  Whether or not that continues will determine the nature of my post-work run today.  MBC and I have a weekend of chores and Turkey Day prep to tend to.  And football.  And running.  For shizzles werd.

Shouldn't that be "Weather or not.."  Joking

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Good morning!

No running for me today but I will do a dynamic warmup, then a series of explosive high kicks before work.  I have really come to like those for stretching my tight ass which in case anyone cares, is not so tight anymore!  Cool

Keep at it, LRB!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Title courtesy of Hair Nation on Sirius Radio, which planted a lovely little earworm yesterday. But it's better than the song my son has been singing since late October when they started getting ready for the school Christmas concert that starts "We are Santa's elves, filling Santa's shelves..." Try running a 10-miler with that on a loop in your brain. Joking

Anyway, 5 slow and easy on tap since I have a 5k tomorrow. And I think I will get to run on snow for the first time this year - I can see just a dusting of the white stuff on the ground outside.

Have a great day, fellow runners!

It's still better than the Barney song.  Joking

Good luck with your 5K tomorrow, Step!  Will it be snowing for your  5K!  Ugg...snow....a nasty 4-letter word in South Texas!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

WAKE UP, THE REST OF YOU DAILIES FOLKS!

Docket_Rocket

morning!

Because it is apparently Summer still, we have had thunder and severe rains for the last three days and last night flooded us.  Kickboxing for sure, a run if I can.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

HobbitLegs

elevenses

Happy Friday everyone!

Sorry to be MIA all week, I've been sick as hell. I've had some nasty sinus/chest cold stuff for the past week and it is finally clearing up. I ran with the beer group last night and didn't die, so it looks like I'm coming back to the side of the living.

It's raining here for the next couple of days, so I guess I'll be taking it to the Y. I don't want to be out in that nastiness after being sick.

Have a great day!

StepbyStep-SH

Scotty - I agree that 40s, windy and rainy is miserable. At least it should be dry for my race. Better 15* and dry than 40* and wet.
                          HobbitLegs - Glad you are feeling better!

D - Weird weather!
                          LRB & Baboon - Lookin' good this morning, gents!

Ric-G

step - good luck on the 5k tomorrow

lrb - work it!

baboon - hope you get a run in

scotty - pot luck sounds good

D - flooding too? wow.

hobbit - hope you're feeling better

7 this morning. off from work today which means the day will absolutely fly by as i try to get things done. now coffee time. everyone have a great day!

marathon pr - 3:16

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

Morning, Dailies!  Long time, no post (for me anyway).

Been busy working 12 hour day shifts this week. Yes, once in a while, I get to fill a shift or two (or 3).

Just got home from the doctor. It looks like I have an effusion in the right knee (aka 'water on the knee'). He and I talked for a bit. It's not severe, and is feeling better. I've been off the ibuprophen completely for 6 days so that's a good sign. He suggested that I don't run for another month, until January 1. I asked about running a 4 mile race on December 31 (it's a local race they have every year, in the early evening on New Years' Eve), and he said that would probably be OK.  I asked about walking, and he said that other than just the usual walking, I shouldn't do any specific fitness walking for 2 more weeks.

He said I need to fight the urge to head out and run right away. He asked me simply, if I wanted to be able to run the rest of my life or if I wanted my running career cut short by injury. He said that I needed to give it time to fully heal, and that the injured/stressed area was the cartilage in the knee joint (he didn't say meniscus, but I am pretty sure that's what he's referring to) which does not have ordinary blood flow so nutrients don't get there very quickly like they do in soft tissue. Therefore, it takes more time to heal. He also mentioned (which I already knew) that I'm no spring chicken so what might take 2 weeks in my 20's will take much longer now that I'm in my 50s.

Overall, I'm happy with that. While I'm anxious to get out there and start moving again, I understand what he's saying and I'm glad that he understands runners (he is/was a runner himself). I might be in HM shape in February after all! Smile

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

Poor Dawn - it appears she married a plumber. Smile

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54