Beginners and Beyond

Race Report w/Photos: Get Gusto 5K and 10K (Read 36 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO: I am Scott aka Scottydog, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

SHORT VERSION RACE REPORT

I did race #36 of 2013 on Saturday, June 22.  Today, June 23, I did race #37 of 2013. Today there was a 10K and a 5K.  I did the 5K.  The 'Get Gusto 5K' is part of a series of running events - you can do them all or do them individually - that leads up to the San Antonio Marathon and Half Marathon.  The races are put on by Carrera Races -http://www.carreraraces.com/ - , which always puts on a 'good show' at their events. For those of you who read the report on my race yesterday, you know I am fighting some kind of chest congestion/sinus crap.  I think for yesterday's 5K my meds were somehow adversely affecting my running because I forewent taking my meds post-race yesterday and until after my race today and for today's race I felt MUCHO better, like my old self.  Yesterday I walked more of my 5K because I HAD to and finished in 38-something.  Today I walked a bit more because I WANTED to, not had to, taking more on-course photos.  I still finished at a slow 37:49 chip time, but that was okay, I was in a much better place today, both physically and mentally.  One thing I thought was funny: right as I was in the chute getting ready to finish my 5K,  a guy doing the 10K went FLYING by me just before the finish line and crossed the mat to win the 10K race.  His 10K time is my 5K time, lol.

LONG VERSION RACE REPORT WITH PHOTOS

Event was held at O.P. Schnabel Park in San Antonio.  10K and 5K folks all started together.  The course took us from one of the park parking lots, then up an incline on paved park trails, and then another paved trail - both pretty narrow and the trail is "beat up" in a lot of places from the flooding rains we had a while back, so pretty slow going along here with all the pack crammed on those trails.  Then we made a turn and went down a hill to run on part of the Leon Creek Greenway, a system of hike-and-bike paved trails nicely developed by the city...you can go a long way on these trails that connect to other trails in the system.  Both the 10K and 5K were out-and-back, so when we got to the turn-around point, that downhill we first came down became a steep uphill before we headed to the finish.   There were also some cyclists on the trails, and some other walkers and runners.  At the spots where I was with the pack when we racers encountered the non-racing folks on the trail, both cyclists and walkers/runners, they were very polite and gave us right-of-way, I didn't see anyone having any problems on the course.  The folks in the photos who are wearing the blue "GET GUSTO" shirts are wearing the tech tee race shirts participants got in their race packets.  Participants with red bibs are the 10K folks.

BEFORE THE RACE

Me with the mascot of Perico Restaurant, one of the race sponsors

I chatted with this guy for a while.  He had a brain tumor!  And here is out out running again.  Hooray!

I told Superman he had to carry me back for the last half of the course. Joking

25 seconds to the start

Folks behind me

ON THE COURSE

These two ladies are floating..nice!

Seeing some of the speedier 5K folks now heading back to the finish

"Great Legs"  on-course volunteer., cheering everyone along.  Chatted with her for a moment as I took some photos.  Very nice lady.    At this point, just a tad over 1/2 mile to the finish.

Looking back the way I'd just come

Up an incline that was a downhill for us on the way out.

OK, now the STEEP hill that was downhill on the way out..run up to a curve, turn the curve and get Hill Part 2.

After that, I ran nonstop back to the finish...and got passed there by the guy that won the 10K, how funny.  Big grin

AFTER THE RACE

Rewarding myself after the race.  Yeah, BEER!

There were also breakfast tacos served by these lovely ladies

"Happy Finishers" and Supporters.

This lovely lady is one of the staff of the foundation of  Children's Hospital of San Antonio, which was the beneficiary of today's race.  Children's Hospital happens to be the place where I donate my medals - when I get any - to the cancer kids there.

Our lovely race MC

Two of our smaller supporters, with their humans.

Doesn't the lady in the middle resemble actor Ann Hathaway a bit?  I did a double-take, thought we might have a celebrity at our event. Cool

Two of my running friends.  At a race a while back, the young lady broke her foot, and is still rehabbing.  She was at the race today because her husband here can't drive yet after a cycling accident in which he broke his wrist and shattered his elbow.  This couple does everything together, even injuries! Wink  His wrist is better, still rehabbing the elbow somewhat and today was his first race back since the accident.  And he STILL runs faster than me, lol, even injured.   These two really are 'good people', a real pleasure to know them.

Finally, last but not least, Virginia on the left, with friend and our race MC.  Race Director of many Carrrera races, including this one,  Virginia is really 'good people' too.   She and her staff, volunteers, etc., put on one heckuva race!

photo vargas086_zps14c919bb.jpg

EPILOG

As said, Carrera races does a super job with their events.   Well organized, lots of friendly folks and smiling faces, lots of post-race goodies, including a bottle of water handed to every finisher right in the finish area, MUCH appreciated on a humid day, and there were even REAL restrooms instead of porta-potties. Big grin   And, of course...BEER!  Joking  Carrera events are some of my very favorite local events and will continue to be on my race calendar.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Sloooow.

Congrats, Scotty! Glad that this one treated you better than yesterday.

The course looked like most of it was shaded, hopefully that gave a tiny bit of heat relief!

Docket_Rocket

Great reports, Scotty!  Thanks for sharing.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Hip Redux

That path looks like a great place to run!  Nice job, Scotty!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

The slower your time, the better the pictures.  Congrats Scott.

Ric-G

nice pics as usual scotty...37 races this year...I don't think I've done 37 period. good job.

marathon pr - 3:16

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

How is that Miller 64?  I haven't tried it because I was afraid it would taste like water.  I know you've had your fair share of beer.  So, I'll put some trust in your opinion of it.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Yep, Coralie, that shade did help. Plus, the humidity and dewpoint were lower this morning than yesterday morning, so that was a blessing too.

Awood, the Miller 64 is okay.  It's not exactly like 'full beer" but it doesn't quite taste like water, either.  I liked it.

Duhh, I mentioned Virginia in my report, but forgot to add her photo!  Brain dump!  I've added her photo now, the last one on the report.  Virginia is the one on the left.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Compared to  3 Floyds, Miller 64 is not beer, not even near.

Nice pics Scotty, everyone looked especially happy this time around.

Santa Claus, some lovely ladies, and beer-flavored water.  2 for 3 ain't bad.  Big grin

GinnyinPA

Nice RR Scotty.  Next time I'm in Texas, I'm coming to San Antonio - your events always look like such fun.

Will run for scenery.

Thanks (once again) for a fun RR.  Can't help but notice how everybody is smiling at you.  You must throw all the angry scowls in the trash, haha!

That looks like a really nice course, too, BTW.

But I gotta ask : What's up w/ no doggies ?  No doggie love on the Gusto ?

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Compared to  3 Floyds, Miller 64 is not beer, not even near.

Jerry, I'm sure Miller 64 is not beer compared to most beers, lol.  Even so, it's not bad for a post-race.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Thanks (once again) for a fun RR.  Can't help but notice how everybody is smiling at you.  You must throw all the angry scowls in the trash, haha!

That looks like a really nice course, too, BTW.

But I gotta ask : What's up w/ no doggies ?  No doggie love on the Gusto ?

There were a few doggies there, but they did not run.  Because of the narrowness of the trails along parts of the course, they asked folks not to run with their dogs for the safety of both the runners and the dogs.

TakeAHike

Nice race Scotty and great pics.  You have a way of getting people to smile.  I hope the congestion clears up soon.

2013 goals: 800m: 2:20 | mile: 4:59 | 5k: 18:59 | 10k: 39:59 | HM: 1:32 | Marathon: 3:20