Beginners and Beyond

Soaked Penguin's ToosDAILY (Read 25 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

'Morning Peeps.  Should be about 70 when I get home from work,so I'll try another mile or 2.  Stay safe southern pengs.

on my way to badass

Morning Penguins! Thanks for starting us off Jerry. 3 easy for me maybe. I'm feeling meh. My success on Saturday has worn off.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

Philliefan33

Good morning Jerry.  I'm headed to a two-hour mandatory training course this morning.  Hooray.

Heavy rain and wind is moving in today, so I will probably end up on the treadmill tonight.

Awood (from yesterday) -- I've been running in Ravenna 3's, and the 2's before that.  I think the design of the 4's changed slightly, but in a good way for me.  The 2's and 3's had one spot on the outside that sometimes put pressure on my little toe but I didn't feel that last night with the 4's.  If I get a few more good runs in the 4's I'll look for another pair on sale so I can stock up.

Philliefan33

Good morning, SF -- you snuck in on me.

Docket_Rocket

Morning! 11 miles tonight, in the mid 90s.  We'll see how it goes.

Jerry, how is the knee doing?

Stone, nice 3.

Phillie, stay safe.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

SRD for me. Yesterday I ran a 10 mile tempo run, 8:14 pace, all on the track. Yes, it was boring and tedious.

To all of you in the south and anyone else experiencing crazy weather; be safe!

hog4life

Had a few tornados last night, couple of people were killed that lived in a trailer park. Tonight is round 2 of the storms. I hope to run a little before the storms hit.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Phillie - That's great!

Mitch - Be safe.  That's tragic.  Being from Indiana, I know trailers and tornados don't mix.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Zelanie

Hey guys, just things are good here.  Probably run 6ish after work in the sunshine.  Hope everybody is safe!

Jerry- Hope the knee continues to behave!

SF- I get that way sometimes a few days after a goal race.  I barely ran at all last week, and was feeling kind of meh the whole time.  On the other hand, sometimes it is good for us to take a little down time, and maybe that feeling helps us to remember to do that.

Margo- Hope the TM run goes well.

Jack- Nicely done!  I don't mind the track but the monotony of a 10 mile tempo would get to me for sure.

Mitch- Stay safe!

Awood- Morning!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Well, folks, sorry about your lousy weather if you're having it.  Where I am it was a BEAUTIFUL morning for a run.  My area had a "cold' front move in last night, temp dropped to 58 degrees overnight.  I got up at 5:30 this morning, went to the University gym, started from there and did my hill route around the campus in 63 degree weather, a nice breeze blowing, very low humidity and dewpoint...it was SWEEEEET!  KILLED all the hills (5 hills on my route) and ended up with 3.4 miles.  Glad I ran this morning because yesterday we set a 'record high' for this time of year at 99 degrees and today it won't be much less than that.  I don't mind running in the heat, but 99 is a bit much even for me.   However, starting tomorrow, our temps will be dropping quite a bit for the rest of the week.  Only 80s for highs and for some morning wake-ups this week we will even be in the 40s.    The weather is really nice this week, however, I sure WISH our area had some of your rain.   This dryness down here is getting crazy.  We are way under our usual average for our yearly rainfall and water use restrictions are in place and may get even more drastic if we don't get some really good soaking rains pretty soon.

Good luck with the miles, Jerry, hope your knee is behaving well.

I'm feeling meh. My success on Saturday has worn off.  Well, Amy, just put on your running shoes, click your heels together and chant "There's no place like run...there's no place like run...."   and then find your "happy place" during your 3 miles.

Good luck with the course, Phillie.  Hope the 2 hours seems to go by quickly!

May your miles go well, Damaris, may your weather cooperate, and may the sun hide behind lots of clouds.

10 miles on the track!  You have a lot of patience, Jack!  Raising your daughters taught you patience, didn't it? 

Dang, Mitch, sorry to hear about the tornadoes and sad about the deaths.     Divorce and tornadoes in the South...either way, someone is going to lose a trailer!    Sorry, not trying to be facetious about that terrible thing going on in your area, just trying to make you smile a bit through all this.  We military folks tend at times to use a lot of 'gallows humor"  to cope through things...but it doesn't mean  we  don't care, we most certainly do!  Stay safe, my friend!

Sunshine in Oregon...Mother Nature really has gone mad, Zelanie!     Enjoy your miles!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

PADRunner

Good Morning Penguins! The only soaking I'll get is in the shower I guess. Drought here.

Got 3 done with 6 hill repeats and a couple of strides.

GinnyinPA

It's pouring here.  They said to expect 2-4 inches out of this three day storm system.  Better than tornadoes though.  We get one occasionally, but they don't expect any out of this outbreak, fortunately.  I hope all our southern and mid-western folks stay safe.

Obie - congratulations on your weight loss.

Jerry - I'm glad the knee is doing better.  Good luck this evening.

Amy - time to sign up for another race?  I know what you mean about post-race let down.  I'm feeling it too.

Margo - stay dry.  I hope the course at least teaches something new and interesting.

Damaris - good luck on your hot 11.

Jack - that's long for a tempo run.  Are you following Hansons this time?

Mitch - I hope you get a run in before the storms begin.  Stay safe.

Awood - do you have your laptop back, working properly?  I hope you're not in tornado alley this week.

Z - enjoy your sunny six.  I was hoping for an outdoor run today, but that's not going to happen.

Scotty - I'm glad it's going to cool down where you are later this week.  Good job on the early hill run.

PAD - good job on the hill repeats.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Morning :-)

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Good morning Penguins!

Today I'm aiming for 5.5 miles to bring me to 90 miles for the month of April :-)  This will be the first time I break 90 miles in a month.  I also looked up my race info for the Brooklyn Half.  Wave 2, Corral 35.  I'm happy to be in wave 2 because it means I get to sleep in a bit later on race day.  Corral 35 (out of 40 in total) is maybe a little farther back than I expected to be, but the Brooklyn Half is apparently a big/competitive race.  I think it has more than 25,000 entrants.  Should be an interesting experience.  DH is going to meet me at the end with a swimsuit to hang out on the beach if the weather is nice that day.

Jerry - take your recovery nice and slow.

SF - you'll get past the "meh" phase :-)  Just start looking forward to your next race.

PF - looks like a couple straight days of rain here too.  I'm going to try to get out there before the storm hits.

DR - 11 in 90+ weather?  I don't know how you do it.  I think the summer will have me up at 5am daily to avoid the heat.  I felt sweaty and melty yesterday in 65 degree weather...

Jack - enjoy your rest day.

hogs - is there no safe place people can go during these storms?

zel - enjoy your 6

scotty - a lot of my family lives down in San Antonio.  Are the drought restrictions really that bad?

PAD - good job getting in the miles

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21)