Beginners and Beyond

10k Race Report: On PR pace through 3.65 miles, then I missed a turn (Read 85 times)

LRB

The official results have not been posted but my Garmin time was 41:05 for 6.32 miles.

This is not the first time that I have missed a turn during an event and I suppose I should be thankful that it doesn't happen more often as frequently as I race.

Luckily the women's leader who was trailing me yelled or it would have been much longer then the tenth of a mile it was as I was in another world and gone!

Ironically she missed two turns herself before "catching" me and there were three runners who ran 7.59 frickin' miles!

The race director was understandably distraught.  He said he had more than enough volunteers sign up but many of them simply did not show up this morning.  I guess there is a lesson there to follow up on your commitments even for something as simple as volunteering for a race because it just may matter.

This was a small race (compared to what I normally run) and the front of the pack was way ahead, and the rest of the pack way behind.  Effectively putting me where I always seem to in end up; in no-mans land.

The course was marked but in white paint on concrete which is fine when you are jogging, not so much when you are racing in distress.  I saw a ground sign with an arrow for a church but looking at that I missed the arrow on the ground pointing to go to the right, doh!  That was my fault, the arrow was there I just didn't see it.

I subsequently have no real beef with the race director.  I mean once he tells you that people just didn't show up, you really kind of have nothing to complain about at that point.  My only suggestion was that maybe they use cones with balloons at unmanned turns in the future, I think that is a fair enough request.

Anyhoo, it was all I could do not to bail out of the stupid thing for the remainder of the race!  I just kept telling myself to hang in there because worse case it would be one helluva tempo run and that is was, albeit it unintentionally.

This race thus became as much a test of mental mettle as a test of physical endurance.  My mile splits were:

1 - 6:29
    2 - 6:23
    3 - 6:28
    4 - 6:32
    5 - 6:37
    6 - 6:37

I know for certain I lost my rhythm after righting myself closing in on mile 4 but will not use missing the turn as an excuse for the last 2 mile splits.  It was windy as heck on the backside so that may have been as much of a factor as my discombobulated mental state.

Things are not always going to go perfect while racing so overcoming unforeseen obstacles during an event is important, even for a wanna-be hobby jogger.

For that I will say that I did okay and will now turn my attention to my first mile race of the season for which I have just two words; aw shit!

Peace

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Nice job.

And man, you must run very small races because I don't see myself getting lost on the road with another hubdred runners around me.  Sorry you lost the PR.

Damaris

That sucks! You didn't mention the name of the race, but remind me to never sign up for it.

Very fast as usual anyway. You race enough that you will get over it pretty quickly, if you have not already.

Dave

LRB

That sucks! You didn't mention the name of the race, but remind me to never sign up for it.

Berkley Days, the 36th edition actually.  It is put on by the Striders Running Club who are old school (pull tag timing, calling out splits at mile markers and no finishers medals thank you!) and know what they are doing.

The way my season schedule lines up I need a 10k on the second weekend in May and there are only a couple, few of them that are close to me. 

It was just a bad break, I will run it again next year unless something closer pops up.

happylily

Upsetting, but you still ran great. You can take comfort in that. Well done!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

Nice recovery.

All that being said about the volunteers not showing up, it's still the runner's responsibility to know the course for just that very reason.  Yes.  It's nice when the vollies are there to help guide the runners along the way.  However, it's happened more than once where runners get to the turn before the volunteers got there and have to go without additional directional guidance.

Have I run races before without knowing turn for turn the layout of the course?  You bet.  Have I missed turns in a race?  Absolutely.  Has it been anybody's fault but my own that I missed a turn because I didn't know the course like I should have? Nope.

I don't get the sense that you're blaming anyone, race director or no-show volunteers, for your missed turn.  I'm just throwing it out there.

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

LRB

I don't get the sense that you're blaming anyone, race director or no-show volunteers, for your missed turn. 

Correct, and I said that the RD.

I study course maps like a mofo going into an event but  trying to figure out what they were doing at the track gave me a flippin' headache so I said screw it.

The right-hand turn I missed was at the red arrow.  Ironically the people that ran 7.59 miles missed the same turn and ended up doing that loop twice.

outoftheblue

That blows.  Still, that's a heck of a strong race you ran.  I can't believe some people ended up running over 7 miles.

Life is good.

hog4life

Hey, I recognize some of those road names! Congrats on a good time, but sucks about the missed turn. At least there was someone to help before you too went 7 miles.

Ric-G

that's too bad, but you did run well....i think the cone idea should be used...congrats on your performance in less than optimal conditions.

marathon pr - 3:16

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

I missed a turn in a 5k race one time and it cost me an AG award so I guess I can relate. However, that is still a very impressive time and like you said, you missed the arrow and the volunteers didn't show up. Frustrating? Yes. End of the world? No. I still think that is a great time. Now, that being said, go have a few cold ones and get your PR next time!

Congrats Rick, that is one heck of a strong race even without wind and a missed turn.

Awesome that the top lady was able to yell and get you back on course, good stuff.  I wouldn't be nearly as calm and collected as you seem to be about it.

While yes, it is technically the runners' responsibility to know the course, there were what, like 14 corners to turn?  Who the hell is going to remember 14 corners, let alone while putting forth race effort?  A big square is one thing, but IMO on a convoluted course, there need to be cones with big arrow signs (or balloons as you mention), or better yet, cones blocking the wrong way.  Marks on the road are iffy at best, and even if there is a pace vehicle that knows the way, "no man's land" can easily lose a visual on the top runner(s) and be left with no idea where to go.

I guess this is a pet peeve of mine, because it's easy for RDs to do it right.  orienteeringahead.com

go have a few cold ones

LRB - is the Berkley Front still open? That would've been the place to go. Ginormous beer selection. Not sure about the wine options Though.

Dave

Mmmmm...beer

Nice work Rick!  We have to stop copying each other, I did the same exact thing at my 5k this morning, totally spaced out and turned right when I should have gone straight, luckily the guy that was about 10 ft behind me knew the right way and let me know.  Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

MothAudio

That stinks man. Knowing it was a simple case of being out of it in the middle of race I suppose makes it a little easier. Lacking markings or being directed the wrong way would have been different. I was on PB pace for a 10k and took a wrong turn [my fault] and the next thing I know the finish line is looming ahead, the clock reading 18 something... for the 5k! Man, was I pissed. It happens.

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile