Beginners and Beyond

2 10Ks 2 weeks apart (Read 26 times)

on my way to badass

Question for you more experienced runners out there.  I have managed to acquire a training partner for a HM coming up in September.  She wants to start bang off doing a 10K before our program is even scheduled to start.  That in itself is no problem.  The question I have, is, Is it OK to run 2 10Ks 2 weeks apart?  I have been doing a training program for about 9 weeks  (missed the first week being sick) for a 10K (masters) so my training partner would not qualify.  She found another race to do 2 weeks after.  I think I would like to do this race but I am questioning myself because I have had some pretty bad runs in the last week.  I keep telling myself this is the ups and downs of training.  Last week I did 10 miles pretty comfortably.  All my long runs were pretty comfortable and my pace was even getting faster (pacing is still a mystery to me).  Should I do one easy and race the other?  Or should recovery be no problem and I'm making this more complicated than it needs to be?

Thoughts?  This is my first attempt at 10K.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

hog4life

If it were me, I would race the first to see what you have, and to adjust training paces for the half. Then use the second one as a supported long run.

on my way to badass

If it were me, I would race the first to see what you have, and to adjust training paces for the half. Then use the second one as a supported long run.

Thanks Mitch!  I just realized that the second race is on Mother's Day.  It's my day so I get to race if I want.  No mommy guilt!

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

delicate flower

I think you'll be fine to race them both at full effort.  It should only take up a week to recover from an all out 10K, if that.  Your other runs will suffer a little if you're concerened about that.

<3

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Is it OK to run 2 10Ks 2 weeks apart?

Gee, I don't see a problem with this at all.  Even if they were  only one week apart.

Of course, I don't actually RACE the races I enter.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

LRB

This is my first attempt at 10K.

These things usually answer themselves shortly after you cross the finish line.  If you are like most of us nuts runners, you will be frothing at the mouth to race the second one.  If you have a bad experience you will have your answer.

10ks are tough but if you are running regularly I cannot see a problem with doing two in two weeks.  I would do it in a heartbeat if my schedule lined up that way and it was what I wanted to do.

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

If this is your first 10k, chances are high that you won't know how hard you can run it and you will leave time out on the course. I would say definitely go for it.

- Andrew

Docket_Rocket

I think two weeks apart is enough time to recover from one and attempt a strong effort on the second one.  I would still shoot for a PR on the first and treat the second either as another PR attempt (if you feel OK) or at least as a strong tempo run.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

on my way to badass

Thanks for all the replies.  I suspect that I'm forgetting that 10K is really only 6 miles plus a little more and I have very comfortably run 1-4 miles more than that (and felt good at the end).

The other thing going for the second race, is that it is, (I believe and will research further) a flatter course.  Where I live, to do a flat training run means going to a track or going no more that one mile from home and back (and that still has some pitch).