Beginners and Beyond

The 2014 NYC Half Marathon: Records may fall (Read 70 times)

LRB

The A-list field includes in part:

Geoffrey Mutai - 2011, 2013 NYC Marathon winner, 2011 Boston Marathon winner, 2012 Berlin Marathon winner.

Mo Farah - Olympic gold medalist 10k, 5k, 2011 NYC Half Marathon winner.

Meb Keflezighi - 2004 Olympic marathon silver medalist, 2009 NYC Marathon winner.

Jason Hartmann - Top American finisher at the 2012, 2013 Boston Marathon, finishing fourth both times, in 2:14:31 and 2:12:12, respectively.

Matt Tegenkamp - Half marathon debut.  Two-time Olympian 2008 and 2012.

Molly Huddle - Half marathon debut.  American 5000-meter record-holder and the world 12K record-holder.

Sally Kipyego - Half marathon debut.  2012 10k Olympic silver medalist

Buzunesh Deba - Two time second place finisher 2011, 2013 NYC Marathon, second place finish 2013 Houston Marathon.

Desiree (Davila) Linden - Second place 2012 Houston Marathon, second place 2011 Boston Marathon 2:22:38 (fastest time by American woman at Boston).

Gemma Steel - Third place 2013 Oakley New York Mini 10-K, second place 2013 TD Bank Beach to Beacon 10-K, second place 2013 New Balance Falmouth Road Race (7 miles).

Diane Nukuri-Johnson - Second place 2013 NYC Half Marathon, eighth place 2013 Boston Marathon.

Lisa Stublic - Third place 2013 NYC Half Marathon, 2013 Zürich Marathon winner.

With a new course for 2014, the NYC Half will be World and American record eligible.  The new course configuration will accommodate an increase in the field size—up to 20,000 finishers—and allow for a professional wheelchair race for the first time.

The NYC Half offers $100,000 in prize money. The men’s and women’s champions will each receive $20,000, $10,000 2nd place, $5,500 3rd place.

The NYC Half will be televised live Sunday March 16 at 7:30 a.m. on WABC-TV in the New York Tri-State area, and can also be watched live globally online at 7online.com or ESPN3.

LRB

Please point out any omissions or errors.  I compiled this post from multiple sites so I may have missed something.

MothAudio

Thanks for the reminder. Loved watching the 2012 race when my boy Peter Kirui won.

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

Love the Half

Damn.  Now I have to decide whether I want to get out early for a run or watch this race.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Nice!  I hope they break the records by a lot.

Damaris

LRB

Damn.  Now I have to decide whether I want to get out early for a run or watch this race.

If you tune in for any length of time before your run, your run will be put on hold.

Will run for scenery.

Since it's at 5:30 AM for me, I don't have a hard decision to make. I'll probably just roll out if bed, check this thread, and then maybe see if WW-III has started...

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Meanwhile Flanagan wins US 15K national title in an American record breaking Kastor's old record from 2003.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                        05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

LRB

Meanwhile Flanagan wins US 15K national title in an American record breaking Kastor's old record from 2003.

That is pretty heavy, I like her.  I hope she does well at Boston.  Funny that she mentioned trying not to be a slave to her watch as she was running record pace.

B-Plus

Don't forget about us Canadians!

It looks like Olympic marathoners Reid Coolsaet (1:02:42) and Eric Gillis (103:34) will be taking part, as well as 2nd fastest marathon woman Krista Duchene(1:10:52). Ok, maybe they're not A-listers, but a solid B+ 

Times courtesy of this page.

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

From the NYC Half Facebook page:

Geoffrey Mutai wins the #nychalf in 1:00:50. Amazing

Sally Kipyego wins #nychalf in 1:08:30

LRB

Well, the course record did not fall, but Mo Farah did:

Mo Farah had a tough time during the New York Half Marathon, falling at the six-mile mark and collapsing after the finish line - but still managed to come second.

The double Olympic champion appeared to momentarily lose consciousness before being taken to hospital in a wheelchair.  Farah finished behind Geoffrey Mutai of Kenya but managed to fend off a challenge Stephen Sambu to hold on to second place but not without cost.

"It would have been nice to win today, but he (Mutai) is a good athlete. Nothing changes for London - I will just keep training."

Farah's team blamed the incident on the difference in climate between a cold New York and a hot Kenya where he has been conducting high-altitude training.  He finished the race in a time of 61 minutes and eight seconds.

Mutai, who clocked the fastest marathon time in history in Boston in 2011 and has six sub-60 minute half-marathon times to his credit, then eased away from Sambu on 42nd Street and went on to win in 60 minutes 50 seconds.

Farah slowly reeled in Sambu and eventually edged ahead with 800 metres to go before holding off the 25-year-old on the line to clock 61mins 8secs, just outside his British record of 60:59.

It is not the first time Farah has collapsed after finishing second in a race. He did so in the European Cross Country championships in 2009.

The half marathon is a stepping stone in Farah's aim to compete in his first competitive marathon in London on April 13.

(link)

LRB

LRB

Had my pic taken with Meb at the expo yesterday, think I jinxed him Sad