Beginners and Beyond

Not sure how to approach 10 mile race in 8 weeks (Read 39 times)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I have a 10 mile race in a little less than 2 months. When I signed up for it, it was December, I had just finished a 10K and was happy with my training for it, so going from 6.2 miles to 10 in 6 months seemed like no big deal. Well injury hit, blah blah blah.... and I had to start my mileage (weekly mileage and miles per run) back at basically zero and begin building up again. At this moment in time, if I continue my rate of rebuilding my long runs and base back to where it was in December (almost there, I have another 10K in May that I am pretty on track for, training-wise, have my long runs back up to 5 miles, my mpw back in double digits), and then keep building until the 10 mile race June 16th I will still fall way short of being prepared to "race" the thing.... even if all goes as planned I will only be able to get up to a little over 20 mpw and a LR of 8-9 miles at BEST before the race. So I think I likely will have to settle for running it at my LR pace, and being prepared to have to maybe even take walk breaks. Meh. The race premium is worth doing the event for even if I end up taking a nice morning stroll during it (a $99 retail value waterproof tech jacket, and the registration cost was less than half that). Buteven if I can't "race" it I think this race could be valuable for my HM training, which will kick off shortly after this race (half is in October). I was thinking it would ba a good "practice" for my fall first half marathon. Because:

A) It is run by the same race organization as my half will be, so a lot of the logistics (bag check, number pickup, corral organization, ect) may be similar

B) Part of the course is the same as my half course

C) They are offering pace groups, as my half will be, and I have never run with a pace group before and was thinking I could try it during this race

D) It will be my only time doing a double digit mileage race before my half, so maybe I can play with hyrdation, fuel, ect.

Any other tips on how to approach this race to help "practice" for my half that will be 4 months later?

Any tips on how I should be approaching the last 2 months of training or should I keep on as planned (my training plan, which has been adapted several times, and is in my log under "Training Plans").

Thanks, as always for any advice!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Love the Half

My only thought is that if your HM is four months later, you'll be in much better shape by then so the 10 miler won't be all that relevant.  I think your approach is good so far.  Just keep building your mileage.  Run the first 7-8 miles at your easy pace and see how you feel.  Resist the urge to run faster than that even if you feel good.  At 7 or 8 miles, if you're still feeling good, then drop the hammer and take it home.  If you're starting to struggle by that point, then just hang in there and finish.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).