Beginners and Beyond

A Response From RW (Read 926 times)

muppy

Ps just noticed I can actually type on iPhone and screen not keep freezing up or just plain old plucking me, that's awesome!
    Love the Half

Look they say the same thing ALL. THE. TIME.  Whenever this happens we get the song and dance.  After awhile why should we go back?  Why? We can have the exact same thing here and better and they have been very welcoming to all of us invading very quickly.  

If they "fix" it how long until it breaks again?  The last time they took the site down was in June to "fix it"  Didn't last long did it?  

I was one of the biggest supporters of trying to fight the spam etc.  I diligently reported every single spammer and every single spam post on every forum until it was the floodgate of pages and pages a minute.  I don't want to go through that again so this time I didn't even bother.  

Anytime we are getting an upgrade in software at work we put it in a test environment and test the crap out of it.  Did they?  Sure they couldn't have  tested the spam maybe but come on.......We just get the same excuses.

I can't imagine just dropping off here to run back only for them to have something else be a major pain in the ass in a few months.  As long as Pluck is there it will never be right.  Just won't.

I'm done complaining about spam and RWOL.  Time to move on

I feel the same way.  I reported and reported and reported.  What happens?  People who have been spamming literally for days continue to spam.  Then, someone gets a nastygram and threatened with the banhammer for informing someone that "break" is not the same thing as "brake" just as "heal" is not equivalent to "heel."  Really?  So I can spam for days with zero consequences but one little bit of humor over poor grammar and you get threatened?  

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Happy to be running

I was all for patience afterall I have not been through the crap as long as many of you. I guess we will see how it all shakes out.

New runner base building for my first marathon 

I have run 2 half marathons 1:52:42 & 1:58:00

xor

vBulletin anyone? (it's the industry leading forum software)

No offense, but vbulletin is not that hard to hack either.  Folks, it is about technology and people resources associated with managing stuff.  In RWOL's case, it isn't just that their software sucks... it's also that they don't devote the resources to give a shit. Seriously, the forums were down for two days and they noted they had "several" people working on the problem.  And in one of KK's weird status threads (that he deleted), it was obvious the upgrade wasn't really about the forums AT ALL.  It was about content management for writers.

As for those of you sad about the demise of your home and this place not feeling like home... give it a little time if you want.  Or not, your choice.  But it ain't that bad... and no one will screw with you here.  And this place, while not being perfect "just works".  We're a self-policing community with interactive mods and an admin (who wrote the stuff himself) who is pretty damn watchful.

xor

Yes the spam sucked, but I got tired of the cliques and getting trashed on several of my posts by a mod.  He had it out for me I swear. 

The cliques ALREADY exist here.  And not to put too fine a point on it, BF is a clique.  With subcliques.  Tis the way of the internet message board world.

At present, yall have kind of driven most of the RA folks underground.  It has been interesting :-D

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I'll be staying here, Shoe Sister.  Now you just need to lure that treadmill ultra jogging donut eating professor over here and we'll be set ....

If Jenny is staying, I am sold!  Smile  Clearly we need to bribe him with more donuts...I will come up with a French silk donut just for him.

Running is dumb.

At present, yall have kind of driven most of the RA folks underground.  It has been interesting :-D

Except for that one thread, but what the heck. Glad they're having some fun. Smile
                xor

Except for that one thread, but what the heck. Glad they're having some fun. Smile

"They" are we.  It's a natural response.  And harmless.

If Jenny is staying, I am sold!  Smile  Clearly we need to bribe him with more donuts...I will come up with a French silk donut just for him.

I am staying.  I really only have time for one running forum - and I have decided I prefer this one.  I like the design & that Eric clearly cares about the site.  So even if everyone else decides to head back to RWOL, I am going to stay here. 

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Things would have been chaotic had a big group busted into RWOL a year ago.  I can already picture it now.  It wouldn't have been pretty.

That said, the trail forum here has been very welcoming to us coming from Runner's World.  They even popped into our group and invited us over to their main group.

Running is dumb.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I am staying.  I really only have time for one running forum - and I have decided I prefer this one.  I like the design & that Eric clearly cares about the site.  So even if everyone else decides to head back to RWOL, I am going to stay here. 

I'll stay here with you too.  I won't like it if people split up, but I've already grown fond of this website.  It doesn't give me a headache and it's user friendly.

Running is dumb.

runfoolery

But you trail people are weird. I'm not sure I can take running in nature instead of my nice, flat paved surfaces... Wink

runfoolery

That basically sums it up for me.

"They" are we.  It's a natural response.  And harmless.

Agreed. They have a sense of humor, and picked up on some elements of the BF that aren't necessarily my favorites either.

From the Internet.

Me too. I suppose it helps that I was still pretty new on RWOL so I wasn't super invested in that particular location anyway.. but I like it better here.