Beginners and Beyond

Kobe Bryant's injury rant (Read 102 times)

LRB

How did you fix your tendonitis? My bro in law has had it since we ran the Houston marathon in jan. last weekend it was red and swollen after his race. He won't/can't rest.

I took an immediate 16 days off with no running, period.  It was at the time I was training to run Detroit otherwise, I would have taken off longer.

Running lightly afterwards actually hastened recovery, I just could not go anything below a sub-8:00.  Ultimately, I was able to run my marathon half assed, then took off from running for seven weeks.

It was during that time with at the sports doc and PT sessions where they essentially told me I was a stiff ass, and needed to start stretching.  I did and and my achilles issues slowly decreased.

There are still times when it's aggravated, but being aware of it I am able to nip those issues in the bud.  There is more to it, but I don't want to bore everyone.

What are your best Achilles stretches? That has lately been one of my biggest problem areas in terms of stiffness/soreness.

Dave

Adam_McAllen

Beer-and-waffle Powered

He has my empathy.  Serious injuries suck.

+1 BTW - how's your knee (IIRC) doing?

In the words of my late-coach : Just hang in there, relax... and at the end of a race anyone you see.....just pass them

Village people

An A/T rupture is no joke, especially for a professional athlete.  I cannot wait to see the list of those who have returned from it and excelled.

Dominique Wilkins came back, but he wasn't the same player. I saw Kobe play in Detriot, it is too bad.

delicate flower

+1 BTW - how's your knee (IIRC) doing?

It's been 10 weeks since surgery and I couldn't be doing any better, thanks for asking.  Three more weeks until I can start running again.

<3

Mostly harmless

What are your best Achilles stretches? That has lately been one of my biggest problem areas in terms of stiffness/soreness.

Go to YouTube and search for "eccentric heel drops".  Those work best for me, your mileage may vary.

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

Adam_McAllen

Beer-and-waffle Powered

It's been 10 weeks since surgery and I couldn't be doing any better, thanks for asking.  Three more weeks until I can start running again.

There's nothing like getting back out there again after a long layoff. I'm sure you don't need to be told to take it easy and that the fitness loss from lots of time off is worse than not building up as quickly as you'd like.

In the words of my late-coach : Just hang in there, relax... and at the end of a race anyone you see.....just pass them

bluerun

Super B****

He sounds a lot like me.  I tend to spew vitriol like that when I can't run.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Rubybaby43

enabler

haha....isn't that the truth?!!

KLO

more miles = more beer

Hip Redux

I figured there would be a few (or more) of us who would totally get it!  Being injured bites.

LRB

I figured there would be a few (or more) of us who would totally get it!  Being injured bites.

Really doe, and he gets millions!