Beginners and Beyond

Boston......Is it not important enough for network TV??? (Read 115 times)

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Sorry, but I just wanted to blurt out here cuz I'm prepping for my uninterrupted viewing of the Boston Marathon and wondering why in the world, after everything that happened, (we DO remember, don't we??)  are we not viewing this on at least ONE major network TV station???

I know as a runner I'm probably a little more sensitive than average joe cubicle American but uhhhh.....I thought for SURE we'd see more than just another B-cable-channel coverage of it.  (Better than some previous years, I must say but still)

Anyway, I am thankful I get to watch it in HD....(I remember Ryan Hall's 2:04 in 2011 in SD cuz that's all that aired on my cable network)....just guess I gotta realize running is always gonna be a back-burner covered sport.

P.S.  EDIT ---- I should preface all this by saying....at least THIS year, the year after it all happened.  Then they could go ahead & put us back on the back burner again.

P.P.S. ----- To clarify for those wondering.....It *is* being shown on Universal Sports (an NBC station) but it's not exactly a front line channel.

Randy

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

It's not on any TV? I thought for sure one of 50 ESPN channels would have it.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

It's not on any TV? I thought for sure one of 50 ESPN channels would have it.

Ha ha....No lie!  They certainly have enough to spare, but it's gonna end up on Universal Sports. (I edited OP to be safe)

Fortunately, I found it (It's channel 357 for me in HD) but I did literally have to use the search function in the guide cuz we actually lost Universal Sports for a while.  It used to be on a more regular channel so guess they just had to stick it wherever it would fit.  (Most all of our HD channels are 400 to 499 so 357 is definitely off the beaten path)

Randy

RSX

It's bad enough that it doesn't normally get much local coverage in the papers except for this year. Growing up we would read about all the contenders in the weeks leading up to it. Once the Kenyans started winning that buildup declined. 1 local tv station covers it, and they do it for most of the day.

Tar Heel Mom

kween

It's bad enough that it doesn't normally get much local coverage in the papers except for this year. Growing up we would read about all the contenders in the weeks leading up to it. Once the Kenyans started winning that buildup declined. 1 local tv station covers it, and they do it for most of the day.

I grew up in Boston, too, and the baseball game was always more important.

Nolite te bastardes carborundum.

Sad. I don't think I even have that channel. The only thing i could find searching my cable guide was the Paris Marathon showing on NBCSN Monday at 2:00 AM. But I suppose who wants to watch a bunch of people going out for a jog anyway. Personally I am less interested in watching the elites, and more interested in online tracking of the forum people running it.

Dave

PADRunner

Universal probably had the rights already.

delicate flower

I grew up in Boston, too, and the baseball game was always more important.

The Red Sox are more important than everything.

<3

Tar Heel Mom

kween

+1 to both Dave and Babs.

Nolite te bastardes carborundum.

LRB

It was the memory of watching the Boston Marathon on TV as an 8, 9 and 10 year old that I took with me into my 20's when I first became enamored with the idea of someday becoming a triathlete.

It was while attempting to realize my dream of becoming a triathlete in my 40's that made me give running a shot, which is how I ended up here.

To say that there is a bit of irony there would be an understatement.

MothAudio

I believe ESPN covered it years ago, then Universal the past 3-4 years. Looking forward to the tributes and competition up front.

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Comcast dropped Universal Sports several years ago and replaced it with NBCSports, so I no longer have any access to major marathons or international track meets on TV, including Boston. What they offer for Olympics coverage of track and field is pitiful.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

RSX

I just don't expect a lot of folks outside MA to love my favorite sport/event.  It happens on a day that most of us work.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

It turns out that we have that channel on our system. The coverage starts at 3:00 am PST so it will be a DVR event. Good luck to all the runners and enjoy.

By the way, other than Fuzzy, who is running in Boston?

delicate flower

I just don't expect a lot of folks outside MA to love my favorite sport/event.  It happens on a day that most of us work.

Everyone should love the Red Sox.

<3