Beginners and Beyond

long run hydration - water or gatorade? (Read 55 times)

Turtle Power

discuss please. 

Zelanie

I bring water with me and sip every mile whether I'm thirsty or not, plus gel every 40-50 minutes.  I don't think that I really "need" it at the distance of my long runs (up to 15 so far), and I have run 14 without anything, but my plan recommends it, plus in the humidity where I am running now, I sweat a ton.  I find I recover better after my run if I stay hydrated during.

onemile

Depends on the time of year.  I have run 18 miles with nothing in cool weather and I have carried a bottle of water in my hand in really hot weather.  If the water fountains are on (May-Sept) I sometimes stop and get a drink around the half way point if I'm thirsty.

B-Plus

I usually use the water fountains. But if it's some type of run where I can't stop, I'll take a handheld with Gatorade. Actually now I'm testing my new Simple Hydration bottle.

LRB

It was prudence that I took two 4 ounce bottles of lemonade (yeah I know ) with me on my run today when at the time it was only 66 degrees.

I usually take nothing and the first loop of my run was 8 miles, a distance I normally cover without need for anything but it got hot fast and I am glad I took them!

I refilled prior to my second loop of 6 miles, drank a shit load of water and was definitely feeling the heat by then (it was around 78 when I finished my run).  I actually stopped a couple times to drink in the shade and cool off.  I normally do not do that but decided not to play hero today.  lol

So I guess my answer today would be water and lemonade Gatorade.  Had the temps remained in the 60's however, I likely would have needed nothing, or at the very least some water.

catwhoorg

Labrat

Generally water on a long run (> ~90 mins)

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

LRB

I usually use the water fountains. But if it's some type of run where I can't stop, I'll take a handheld with Gatorade. Actually now I'm testing my new Simple Hydration bottle.

Hmm, the center of the back huh?  That is interesting.  How does it feel to carry when full and what type of paces have you run with it?

B-Plus

Hmm, the center of the back huh?  That is interesting.  How does it feel to carry when full and what type of paces have you run with it?

So far easy, and fast uphill (wore for hill repeat session). It was a bit bouncy at first, but I totally forgot about it after the first couple of swigs. I'll be in a better position to give a more thorough assessment after this coming thursday's tempo. So far, I am optimistic and I don't think I'll be using a handheld anytime soon. Since it rests on your back/ass, it does warm up so I'll try it with ice next time. Hopefully I don't literally freeze my ass off.

LRB

Since it rests on your back/ass, it does warm up so I'll try it with ice next time. Hopefully I don't literally freeze my ass off.

lol - you are on a roll today G!

So the 19 bucks was worth it so far then?  Do you get two for that price or did i read that wrong?

Depends on the LR and the weather.

Up to about 15-16, I may not drink anything if it's cool out.

Further than that, I will stop at least once for hydration, more if it's hot.

Marathons, I've learned to get sports drink/gel calories at *every* station and additionally grab water as desired.

B-Plus

lol - you are on a roll today G!

So the 19 bucks was worth it so far then?  Do you get two for that price or did i read that wrong?

I wish you got 2 for that price! It looks like they have some promotions sometimes though, or you can get them on amazon with free shipping.

Love the Half

Just finished 18.6 miles in 2:30:04 this evening.  Temps were in the low 80's when I started with very little cloud cover although the dew point was 65 so not too bad.  I tossed some small hills into the mix for a total elevation change of roughly 350 feet climbing and 350 descending.  I also did 12 x 1 minute pick ups at HM-10K pace with 1 minute recoveries after Mile 15.  That was the workout.

I stashed two 24 ounce bottles that were frozen solid.  I drank what was available (maybe 6 ounces) out of one of the bottles around Mile 4.  I got a bit dehydrated and started to overheat a little around Mile 11 but that was also when I got to the 2nd bottle.  I drained what was available in that bottle (maybe 12-16 ounces).  That was the last thing I drank before I finished.  So, I had maybe 18-22 ounces that got me through the run.

I did a 15 mile run last week and the temperature was lower but the humidity was awful.  I was soaked by Mile 3.  Didn't drink anything until the guy I was running with and I hit a water fountain at Mile 11.  I drank a bunch there.  Did the last 3 miles at marathon effort.

As a general rule, I think people take way the hell more shit with them than they need.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

workinprogress11

I drink water.  Gatorade is gross.