Beginners and Beyond

Friday Penguins are Brought to you by the Letter J! (Read 25 times)

Zelanie

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Zelanie

J for we hope that Jack's house is OK!  BTW, Jack, our lab was named Chloe by the people who fostered her litter.  We didn't even know that, but we named her Zoe.  Short for "Zochitl", because she is our delicate flower.

J is also for Jerry who is hopefully having a great time in Florida and will do great on his HM!

Today I am up early to present at a conference in Portland!  It's my first time presenting, so hopefully I do OK.  Then it's back to work for a bit, a 6 miler, and then a parent meeting for DD's robotics team.  So the day should go by pretty quickly!

Ginny- My race tomorrow is just a small little 5K.  My plan calls for a 4 mile time trial, and a race just sounds like a more pleasant way to get that done.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Waiting for my TM to be delivered before heading to South Beach to meet Jerry and his wife.  It is raining so I assume Jerry's outdoor activities will be limited today (although I am 20 miles West and it could be sunny and a great day in SoBe, who knows).

SRD.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Dad on the run.

Also J is for Jimmy, well because... I'm just awesome Smile hahaha. I took our daughter a couple weekends ago to see The Lego movie and ever since then I've had that damn Everything is Awesome! song stuck in my head.. it's so bad that my daughter and I will start singing it and dancing around the house, its scary.

3 miles with the group lastnight, I was going to do 6 but that group that runs 6 takes off and doesn't wait up for us slower runners so I just got annoyed and left after 3 miles.

4 to 6 after work with some buddies.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

and J is for Joints...because I ran yesterday without my arthritis meds and my joints actually felt pretty good.   I was feeling so good I ended up going longer than I had planned, doing 4.4 miles instead of 3, and I did my hill route on the campus of the university where I work.  Beautiful evening for a run too, sunny, 59 degrees, light wind.   After my run I picked up my packet for my Saturday morning 5K (ugly race shirt).  Today is a rest day and I will pick up my packet after work for my Saturday afternoon 5K.   It will be very warm in San Antonio today, we are going to hit 81 degrees.   That is a Springtime temp for us.

Zelanie, I bet you will do great at your conference! Sounds like a busy day for you!

Enjoy the new TM, Damaris, hope you don't get too bored while on it.  Happy meeting with Jerry!

I haven't seen that movie yet, Jimmy, Gail and I are going to go see it...cuz we are just big kids at heart.  Heck, I still watch cartoons on TV.  And I don't even have any kids at home.   Congrats on your miles last night.  How rude of those faster runners to be so fast...   Good luck with your miles today!  Sounds like you are doing a lot better these days.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

tracilynn

morning pengs!

zel, good luck with your presentation. I would be terrified to speak in front of a group. Its always been a weakness of mine and I envy those who can do it and do it well. I rather swim in a pool of great whites. Ha. For real.

D so lucky to meet Jerry and mrs Jerry!  Have fun. Take pics.  Leg shots.

jimmy, we sing the everything is awesome song too.  I also hear the Frozen sing 15278 times a day as well. did E.K. See that one?  My girls are INFATUATED with it. poo on the fasties in your group that don't wait up.

headed to gym later to do 4 on treadmill.  Tomorrow and Sunday I get to run outside in 60-70 degree weather. Happy bout that. WINTER BE DAMNED

~~~~~~~

Traci

tracilynn

Hey Scotty, the LEGO movie is very good for adults or kids. you'll like it! Enjoy your spring

~~~~~~~

Traci

Dad on the run.

Bees will buzz, kids will blow dandelion fuzz, and I will be doing whatever snow does in SUMMERRRRR!! A drink in my hand, my snow up against the burning sand, I'll probably be getting gorgeously tan in SUMMERRRR!!!

Yes, we have seen it Smile Love that movie.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Dad on the run.

and J is for Joints...because I ran yesterday without my arthritis meds and my joints actually felt pretty good.   I was feeling so good I ended up going longer than I had planned, doing 4.4 miles instead of 3, and I did my hill route on the campus of the university where I work.  Beautiful evening for a run too, sunny, 59 degrees, light wind.   After my run I picked up my packet for my Saturday morning 5K (ugly race shirt).  Today is a rest day and I will pick up my packet after work for my Saturday afternoon 5K.   It will be very warm in San Antonio today, we are going to hit 81 degrees.   That is a Springtime temp for us.

Zelanie, I bet you will do great at your conference! Sounds like a busy day for you!

Enjoy the new TM, Damaris, hope you don't get too bored while on it.  Happy meeting with Jerry!

I haven't seen that movie yet, Jimmy, Gail and I are going to go see it...cuz we are just big kids at heart.  Heck, I still watch cartoons on TV.  And I don't even have any kids at home.   Congrats on your miles last night.  How rude of those faster runners to be so fast...   Good luck with your miles today!  Sounds like you are doing a lot better these days.

I read this and started laughing immediately. I assumed you being scotty it was about to be bad, but then you mentioned arthritis, lol.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I read this and started laughing immediately. I assumed you being scotty it was about to be bad, but then you mentioned arthritis, lol.

Unfortunately, Texas has not yet approved the medicinal J.     Now in Gail's home state of Washington State however....next time we go visit her parents, wonder what they would do if I walked in puffing... 

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

tracilynn

J is for joints....  Hahahhabaaa 

~~~~~~~

Traci

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  I am really ready for the weekend -- I got home a little later than usual from both quartet and chorus, so I'm running  a little sleepy.  DH made cheddar beer soup for dinner last night, and it was awesome!!

Zelanie -- have fun presenting!!  Just remember, the butterflies mean "it's showtime!", and you know your subject better than anyone in your audience!!

Docket -- Have a good FE!!

jblack -- DH has been wanting to see that movie ... maybe we'll go this weekend!

scotty -- glad your joints are doing well!!

traci -- have fun running outdoors this weekend!!

And a little Tom Petty in honor of the letter J!!  Linky

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Plans are made for a 1pm FE.

And my TM arrived.  Box is damaged.  Hoping we don't have to return it.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

Z - have fun with the presentation.  Your run will help release any remaining tension I hope.  Good luck at the 5k tomorrow.

Jack - I hope you are some place safe.  I saw that they were doing mandatory evacuations, so I hope you and all the family found someplace to go.  Too bad this isn't the weekend in Zion.

Damaris - I can't believe you bought a treadmill, after all this time.  Or did you have one before that you rarely used?  Hope your meetup with Jerry goes well.

Jimmy - that's why I don't go out with a group.  The local one is too fast, and the one I know about that caters to slower beginning runners is 45 minutes away.  Enjoy your run with friends tonight.

Scotty - I'm glad your experiment of living without pain relievers is going well.  Only a week, right?  Have fun at your races tomorrow. (I know, you always do.)

Tracilynn - wow, I want your weather.  It's 11 degrees here right now.  Enjoy your outdoor runs this weekend.

HopesMom - we used to go to a restaurant that had really good beer soup.  I've never had it since that tasted as good.  I hope you get some walking in later.  Any concerts this weekend?

AFM:  Cold and windy outside, so I'll run on the TM later.  I never did do it yesterday, which is fine because my leg feels better for the rest.  Tomorrow is supposed to be nice (39) but DH and Ben are desperate to go for a hike before we get snowbound once again.  There were 17 turkeys in my back yard this morning, pecking madly at the few bare spaces of lawn.  I don't think they found much to eat though.

Docket_Rocket

I used to have one way back in 2008 but after taking an 8 month hiatus from running due to my hallux rigidus (they say I shouldn't get back to running but yet here I am), we gave it to a friend of ours.  One of the things I told my husband was that if we didn't move to Chicago and stay here, I will have a TM.  And it's now sitting in the living room.

In January, we had days at 88F, February has been hot and humid (except today, Jerry is happy!).  March and April will be hot.  I just cannot deal with this anymore.  That means the 90F weather will start before May and will not leave until November.  That is a huge chunk of months.  So, I am compromising.

Damaris

Fundraising Page