Beginners and Beyond

Consequences of running while sick....... (Read 71 times)

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Anybody care to explain exactly what goes down when we try to run while sick??

Here's my current situation........

1.)  I dodged everybody around me being sick for over a month and thought I had evaded the dreaded "sick at Christmas" crap.  

2.)  3 days after Christmas I start getting sick.  SH!T!!!!!!!!!!!! 

3.)  I ran & rode thru this whole thing & actually appeared to be getting better.  I was still feeling a little late night stuff as I usually do when I'm sick & night falls but still felt like I was improving daily.

4.)  After a week & 2 days and just waiting for that last bit to go away, I started feeling my head get congested this morning & a gnarly head cold instantly ensues.

I'm now kicking up my feet & waving the white flag.  I *HATE* being sick, but I don't know what else to do now except be pissed.

Randy

RSX

I'm sick less often than most folks so when it happens I do everything I'm supposed to and usually take 2 days off. I don't stay sick very long as a result.

Cyberic

I personnally don't see a problem to running while sick. I am sick less often than before, and when I am, I run through it. I think that the important thing when you're sick is not to drain your battery too much. So if you barely have energy to stay awake, don't run. If it's a head cold and you have a 20 miler scheduled that always leaves you drained even when not sick, think medium-long run or something. As long as you conserve enough energy for your organism to fight the sickness, I don't see a problem with running per se.

LRB

If we are talking your standard run of the mill cold I usually run or workout right through those as doing so tends to leave me in better shape than just lying around sick and in agony. Wine helps at nighttime. 

I am just sure to eat plenty to give my body what it needs to both fight off the virus and help me recover. I have been doing that a million years, way before I became a hobby jogger.

If we are talking flu however, forget it! I think I have actually had it twice (or maybe three times) in my life and that shit ain't no joke son!

I used to think I had flu some years when it was really just a bad cold.  But when you finally get flu, there is no mistaking it!

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

A little less pissed this morning.  I went to bed at 9:30 last night & didn't wake up until 8!!  I hope that's a good sign my body got the sleep it needs.

One of my peeves was the part about "prolonging" sickness based on this article......

http://www.active.com/running/articles/should-you-run-with-a-cold

Granted, they're talking specifically "cold" and I may have a little more than that but still.  I was most concerned with how the immune system would get taxed by me running.  In my anger, my logic is skewed and I'm sure it's probably true, but I didn't want to listen.

Oh well.

It is what it is......I'm here on the couch.  Legs up.  Gonna try another long stint of sleep tonight cuz I know sleep is magic & we'll see what tomorrow holds.

Randy

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Here's the bottles of the meds I'm taking.  If anybody's got any advice (cough...Rick....cough), I'm all ears.  

Randy

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Sounds identical to mine, which started NYE eve and I'm still congested and coughing.  Fortunately it didn't really get going until after the holiday running streak was over.   I think it is the mutant flu since I got the  non-mutant flu shot.  Except for work, my only time away from home has been to go to the running track.  I am also pissed.

LRB

Here's the bottles of the meds I'm taking.  If anybody's got any advice (cough...Rick....cough), I'm all ears.  

I approve of this message!

on my way to badass

Last Winter I had a horrible cold. I ran during it and most days it seemed to move the crud out of my head. I've heard said that if you have the flu you feel like you've been "hit by a truck". I seem to have avoided this (taunting fate here).

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28