Beginners and Beyond

Merry Christmas Penguins (Read 18 times)

PADRunner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

PADRunner

Merry Christmas Penguins!

Got my 6 done this morning and created a calorie deficit that will be taken care of later.

And Happy,

<dl><dt>Buddhism</dt></dl>
      • Bodhi Day: 8 December – Day of Enlightenment, celebrating the day that the historical Buddha (Shakyamuni or Siddhartha Gautama) experienced enlightenment (also known as Bodhi).
      <dl><dt>Christianity</dt></dl>
      • Advent: fourth Sunday preceding 25 December
      • Krampusnacht: 5 December – The Feast of St. Nicholas is celebrated in parts of Europe on 6 December. In Alpine countries, Saint Nicholas has a devilish companion named Krampus who punishes the bad children the night before.
      • Saint Nicholas' Day: 6 December
      • Our Lady of Guadalupe: 12 December – An important honor of Mexico's Patron Saint before Christmas officially begins on December 16[6]
      • Saint Lucia's Day: 13 December – Church Feast Day. Saint Lucia comes as a young woman with lights and sweets.
      • Longest Night: A church service to help those coping with loss, usually held on the eve of the Winter solstice.
      • Christmas Eve: 24 December
      • Christmas Day: 25 December – one of the most celebrated holidays around the world, increasingly celebrated by Christians and non-Christians alike.[7][8][9][10]
      • Anastasia of Sirmium feast day: 25 December
      • Twelve Days of Christmas: 25 December–6 January
      • Las Posadas: 16–24 December – procession to various family lodgings for celebration & prayer and to re-enact Mary & Joseph's journey to Bethlehem[11]
      • Saint Stephen's Day: 26 December
      • Saint John the Evangelist's Day: 27 December
      • Holy Innocents' Day: 28 December
      • Saint Sylvester's Day: 31 December
      <dl><dt>Fictional or parody</dt></dl>
      • Feast of Winter Veil: 15 December–2 January – A holiday in World of Warcraft. This holiday is based on Christmas. Cities are decorated with lights and a tree with presents. Special quests, items and snowballs are available to players during this time. The character of "Greatfather Winter", who is modeled after Santa Claus, appears.[12][13]
      • Feast of Alvis: in the TV series Sealab 2021.[14] "Believer, you have forgotten the true meaning of Alvis Day. Neither is it ham, nor pomp. Nay, the true meaning of Alvis day is drinking. Drinking and revenge."–Alvis[15]
      • Hogswatch: a holiday celebrated on the fictional world of Discworld. It is very similar to the Christian celebration of Christmas.
      • Festivus: 23 December – a parody holiday created by Daniel O'Keefe and made popular by Seinfeld as an alternative to Christmas.
      • Decemberween: 25 December – a parody of Christmas that features gift-giving, carol-singing and decorated trees. The fact that it takes place on December 25, the same day as Christmas, has been presented as just a coincidence, and it has been stated that Decemberween traditionally takes place "55 days after Halloween". The holiday has been featured in the Homestar Runner series.
      <dl><dt>Hinduism</dt></dl>
      • Pancha Ganapati: 21–25 December – modern five-day festival in honor of Lord Ganesha, celebrated by Hindus in USA.
      <dl><dt>Historical</dt></dl><dl><dt>Judaism</dt></dl>
      • Hanukkah: Ḥănukkāh, usually spelled חנוכה, pronounced [χanuˈka] in Modern Hebrew; a transliteration also romanized as Chanukah or Chanukkah), also known as the Festival of Lights, Feast of Dedication, is an eight-day Jewish holiday commemorating the re-dedication of the Holy Temple (the Second Temple) in Jerusalem at the time of the Maccabean Revolt against the Seleucid Empire of the 2nd century BC. Hanukkah is observed for eight nights and days, starting on the 25th day of Kislev according to the Hebrew calendar, which may occur at any time from late November to late December in the Gregorian calendar.
      <dl><dt>Paganism</dt></dl>
      • Yule: Pagan winter festival that was celebrated by the historical Germanic people from late December to early January.
      • Yalda: 21 December – The turning point, Winter Solstice. As the longest night of the year and the beginning of the lengthening of days, Shabe Yaldā or Shabe Chelle is an Iranian festival celebrating the victory of light and goodness over darkness and evil. Shabe yalda means 'birthday eve.' According to Persian mythology, Mithra was born at dawn on the 22nd of December to a virgin mother. He symbolizes light, truth, goodness, strength, and friendship. Herodotus reports that this was the most important holiday of the year for contemporary Persians. In modern times Persians celebrate Yalda by staying up late or all night, a practice known as Shab Chera meaning 'night gazing'. Fruits and nuts are eaten, especially pomegranates and watermelons, whose red color invokes the crimson hues of dawn and symbolize Mithra.
      <dl><dt>Secular</dt></dl>
      • Zamenhof Day: 15 December – Birthday of Ludwig Zamenhof, inventor of Esperanto; holiday reunion for Esperantists
      • Soyal: 21 December – Zuni and Hopi
      • HumanLight: 23 December – Humanist holiday originated by the New Jersey Humanist Network in celebration of "a Humanist's vision of a good future."[16]
      • Newtonmas: 25 December – As an alternative to celebrating the religious holiday Christmas, some atheists and skeptics have chosen to celebrate December 25 as Newtonmas, due to it being Isaac Newton's birthday on the old style date.
      • Quaid-e-Azam's Day: 25 December
      • Boxing Day: 26 December – Day after Christmas.
      • Kwanzaa: 26 December–1 January – Pan-African festival celebrated in the US
      • Watch Night: 31 December
      • New Year's Eve: 31 December – last day of the Gregorian year
      • Hogmanay: night of 31 December–before dawn of 1 January – Scottish New Year's Eve celebration
      • Dongzhi Festival – a celebration of Winter
      <dl><dt>Unitarian Universalism</dt></dl>
      Robert31320

Team TJ

Merry Christmas everyone.

I will most likely run later just to burn off some of the crazy.

Running for TJ because he can't.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have an MLR tonight.

Merry Christmas to those that celebrate it.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

hog4life

Happy Holidays!

Coffee, that is all for now.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Merry Christmas.  Looks like you have a big supply of thread titles, PAD.

2 more miles this morning for us.  DW thought the streak ended today. Lol

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Merry Christmas to all my fellow Penguins!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Yesterday I went to Lackland Air Force Base for an easy 3-mile run, but was feeling really good so that turned into a 4-mile run/walk instead, nice!    The temp actually cooperated too, about 44 degrees and sunny, sunny, sunny, nice!

This morning Gail and I  got up and opened our gifts and then I went to the nearby local park to get in a run/walk.  Temp of 35 flippin' degrees, feels like 33, BRRR!   My plans for a morning run/walk turned out to be a bust as, for some reason, the park gate was closed, and there were a couple of police cars with lights on right inside the gate.  So I decided to just turn around and come on home and run later this afternoon in WARMER temps...the temp around here today is going up to a mild 62 degrees by 3 PM.  So now Gail and I are getting ready to go to a move, we are going to see "Unbroken."

Hope everyone is having and will have a fabulous Christmas day!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Marry Christmas, Pens. Smile

Remember when we were kids and on Christmas morning we were up at the crack of dawn or earlier? My kids are still sawing logs. I ran 5 miles, raked some leaves, and now I'm doing this. Kids these days! JEESH! Later, we are going down to Orange County to see my SIL and her family. The cousins are looking forward to it.

Have a nice, quiet day.

on my way to badass

Merry Christmas Penguins! Presents opened, birds fed , dog walked, streak run done. Gonna cook a roast and some sweet potatoes and brussel sprouts(roasted). Moderately healthy for the holidays. Scotty- I need a review of "Unbroken".

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

Merry Christmas!

Just snuck in a quick 2 miles between family visits. Last night was magical with all our kids. Our little ones were so excited about all the Christmas magic. Makes my heart sing.

Received a penguin light cover as a gift and had to tell them about you, my running e-buddies. :-D

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K

Zelanie

What about 3 kings day? Some kids at my school get their presents on Jan 6 when the 3 kings arrive. http://www.mexonline.com/history-lostresreyes.htm

Today has been a good day with family. I got an awesome medal hanger and some PR Soles recovery flip flops. I will have to post a phot when I get back home. I am feeling a bit under the weather here, hopefully it passes.

From the Internet.

Merry Christmas/happy holidays pens! 4.15 miles this morning, made meatballs and sauce, family came over for dinner and gifts. Got two pairs of DS Trainers and some Lululemon stuff 

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Merry Christmas Pens!

Ran 4ish this evening with DH once we got back home to NYC.  Our dog is staying with my mom through New Year's because we are heading down to New Orleans to escape NYC for a few days.  I was going to say "to escape the cold" but this is the warmest Christmas I can remember.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Docket_Rocket

Ran 11.03 miles tonight.  Stopped because my insides were on fire from all the coughing.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page