Beginners and Beyond

Pour a drink for Weekend Penguins (Read 18 times)

Amazonian Princess

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

I can. I will. I am. 

Amazonian Princess

Urrrgh, what a week! So glad it's Saturday 

Up early for a couple miles with the club but taking it easy because we have a charity bike ride tomorrow. Work has been so hectic that nothing at home has gotten done so it'll be laundry, cleaning, and grocery shopping this afternoon.

Then maybe the igloo bartender can blend me up an obnoxiously large and possibly flaming umbrella drink  What will you have?

I can. I will. I am. 

Docket_Rocket

Morning.  No mojo but will try 9 on the TM later.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

We have all day rain here, so I'll end up doing some miles on the TM later after I dry off from walking the dog.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

I did 8.1 drizzly miles this morning.  That's my longest run this month - ugh I totally fell off of the running wagon this month.  Marathon training starts Monday so I'd better get my mojo back.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

emmbee

queen of headlamps

6.2 on the trails this morning, lots of hills, lots of rocks, lots of fun.  Didn't even mind being passed by the jr. high girls' XC team. 

Zelanie

Hey guys.  Yesterday I way overestimated my ability to do anything at all after getting back from vacation.  Plus it was 100 degrees out.  Today it's supposed to be just as warm, but it's also overcast and muggy.  I couldn't run early because I had to work, so I walked the dogs.  Planning to head out at sundown if the thunderstorms don't materialize.   Ugh, summer!

hog4life

Well, I stopped by a small race on my way home to help do the timing for a 5 miler. I needed 7 easy miles today, so after it was over, I run with the president of my running club. Whew!!! My easy miles turned into a hard tempo effort, and finished the 7 miles at 8:30 pace.

Docket_Rocket

It rained all day, so I ran outside!  9 miles!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning all.  I am drinking coffee while taking a last look at my training plan.  In its current form I have myself starting at 33 miles per week and peaking at 50 miles per week.  That's on 5 days per week of running with 1 cross training day and 1 rest day.  I plan on doing body weight strength training exercises 3 days per week and core work 3 days per week.  It should be interesting and I'm just going to try to hang on as long as I can.  My low June mileage won't help, but at least my mileage was low due to an upper respiratory infection rather than any kind of lingering injury.  My vacations are all front loaded into the plan so I will be running while on vacation, but not an extreme amount.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have my LR on the TM at some point in time.

sapf, good luck.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

From the Internet.

My stupid drunk self may have broken my big toe at a concert yesterday :c Stupid stupid stupid. It's all kinds of horrific colors right now and hurts to put a shoe on it. X-ray tomorrow, hoping it's just bruised up and will need a few days off. Otherwise I will be looking into joining the YMCA down the street so I can put in a bazillion hours of deep water running and hopefully keep most of my fitness while it heals.

emmbee

queen of headlamps

Speedy healing, Lauren!

6 trail miles yesterday; 2 stroller miles followed by lifting/plyo goodness this morning.  A friend has a garage gym so the toddler tears around shouting "squat! squat" while we work out.   It's going to be 100 degrees again today, and when they say "at least it's a dry heat", that is true, but above 95 degrees it is still unpleasant.

GinnyinPA

Lauren - just when everything was going so well for you!  I hope it's just bruised and will heal quickly.

emmbee - that is definitely too hot to run, even if it is dry.  Was your trail run in the shade at least?  Nice that you have someone to work out with, even if it is in a garage.

DR - I hope your LR went well.  I'm glad you got outside yesterday, even if it was in the rain.

sapf - Where are you going for vacation?  Someplace where you can run trails?  Good luck with your marathon training.  The first few weeks aren't bad, usually.

Mitch - that was a fast run yesterday.  Good job.

Z - I've heard that the NW is having another extremely hot spell.  Good luck getting your runs in.

Baconista - how did the bike ride go?

AFM:  Good run today.  It was cool (73) and cloudy, with low humidity and a nice wind, which made all the difference.  I ran 8.6 miles from town to home on a roundabout route through farms and subdivisions.  Some of our neighbors have warned us about a bear that was spotted about a mile from our house, but so far we haven't seen it.  This isn't bear country and even the mountains around here don't seem to have many bears (too many hunters, hikers, bikers and atvs) but there have been two sightings that we know about.  Maybe they're visiting the orchards?

Zelanie

Has anybody seen my mojo?  I am just super tired and sluggish these days.  Maybe it's just post- vacation hangover, maybe it's that cold that I felt like I was getting a couple of days ago (that passed, luckily), maybe that's just how life it sometimes.  I did suck it up and go for a run today, but it was like I was dragging my legs along with me.

Bacon- Hope you had a good bike ride this AM!

D- Glad you got outside!  Hope the family is doing OK?  Will either of them be able to find out more on Monday?  I'm still hoping that for your DH maybe it's just that he's running more miles or something.

Lauren- Oh no!  Hope it is just a bruise!

emm- The toddler sounds like a taskmaster!  And I agree about the heat- hope you're able to stay cool.

Mitch- Nice run!

sapf- Good luck!  50 on 5 days per week is doable, but I have to say I prefer 6 days over about 45.

Ginny- Thanks.  It was hot through last night and supposed to be even hotter this week, although today isn't too bad.  Is it silly that my first thought to your post was "oh cool, a bear!"  I've seen them out a few times, but never had any trouble from them.  Maybe that's naive, but I love spotting them.  Hope yours are just down to snack in the orchards. Smile