Beginners and Beyond

Talk to me about Hansons (Read 73 times)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I have used Running Wizard and like it, but Running Wizard is no more, sadly. Apparently Hansons is very similar. I will be running my first full in just over a year, so I have lots of time to decide, however I think whatever plan I chose I want to do the half marathon version of the plan for the spring first to get used to how things are structured, and build my base high enough for whatever plan I choose so I do want to start thinking about this now.

Those that have done Hansons what did you think? Would you do it again? Did you purchase the plan online or take it from the book? Have you done the e-coaching offered online?

Thanks!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

I have used Running Wizard and like it, but Running Wizard is no more, sadly. Apparently Hansons is very similar. I will be running my first full in just over a year, so I have lots of time to decide, however I think whatever plan I chose I want to do the half marathon version of the plan for the spring first to get used to how things are structured, and build my base high enough for whatever plan I choose so I do want to start thinking about this now.

Those that have done Hansons what did you think?  I am a proponent of their philosophy and have followed (albeit slightly tweaked) their plans for three of my marathons now.

Would you do it again?  Yes. 

Did you purchase the plan online or take it from the book?  I bought the book and purchased one of their online plans a couple of years ago.

Have you done the e-coaching offered online? I have and worked with one of their coaches for my two marathons this year.

Thanks!

Answers above. I don't know Running Wizard but I believe Hanson's does a good job of marathon preparation. It is not an easy program however and you need to have a good base of running to dive into it. In my opinion it isn't a plan for beginners as even their basic, free, plan you can find online has 6 days of running with 2 quality days each week.

As with any training program it is up to the individual but for me their philosophy has clicked.

Docket_Rocket

I was going to say the same thing as Fuzzy.  It is a tough plan and I would suggest people tackle it after averaging 50mpw for a while.  It is relentless (throughout the plan).

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

From the Internet.

I have zero experience with Hansons' plan but plenty of experience thinking about a first marathon next fall, haha Smile In my endless procrastination from doing actual work while at work I found this site that compares a bunch of the most popular plans, might be of some help.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Kristin I have no advice related to this, but this is a good topic for me to follow.  Are you doing the NYCM next fall?  After the 5 mile race this weekend I'll have completed the 9+1 program :-)  I'm actually still on the fence as to whether or not to register for the race, but at least I'll have the option.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Jill.

Penguin Power!

I was going to say the same thing as Fuzzy.  It is a tough plan and I would suggest people tackle it after averaging 50mpw for a while.  It is relentless (throughout the plan).

To you what is "a while" related to 50mpw?  If I can stay uninjured maybe I can get up to 50mpw by May or June.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Kristin I have no advice related to this, but this is a good topic for me to follow.  Are you doing the NYCM next fall?  After the 5 mile race this weekend I'll have completed the 9+1 program :-)  I'm actually still on the fence as to whether or not to register for the race, but at least I'll have the option.

2015 NYCM is the plan Smile I've done 7 races and the "+1" and am registered for the last 2 Smile

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

Docket_Rocket

I would say for at least 6 months, but that's me.  Pfitz is hard, but Hanson will tire even people that run even more.

Some of my friends have done the Hanson Beginner's plan.  That might be doable but I would suggest mileage in the 40s for a while.  Like high 40s.  Don't be fooled by the mpw in the plan.  It's what's part of the workouts that will chew you out.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Half Crazy K 2.0

I have zero experience with Hansons' plan but plenty of experience thinking about a first marathon next fall, haha Smile In my endless procrastination from doing actual work while at work I found this site that compares a bunch of the most popular plans, might be of some help.

Thanks for the distraction from doing work. Cool site, now i just need to see if the new locsl race ever matrializes.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I would say for at least 6 months, but that's me.  Pfitz is hard, but Hanson will tire even people that run even more.

Some of my friends have done the Hanson Beginner's plan.  That might be doable but I would suggest mileage in the 40s for a while.  Like high 40s.  Don't be fooled by the mpw in the plan.  It's what's part of the workouts that will chew you out.

Yikes. Ok maybe not Hansons? I'd ideally like a plan with 5 days of running with 2 speedwork days and 2 crosstraining days. That is good for beginners. Currently im very comfortble running in the mid to high 20s per week and am trying to get myself into the 30s but I am not yet in the 40s and woukd want to work up to that over the next several months. I don't think I will be there yet for 6 consecutuve months before starting a plan.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Yikes. Ok maybe not Hansons? I'd ideally like a plan with 5 days of running with 2 speedwork days and 2 crosstraining days. That is good for beginners. Currently im very comfortble running in the mid to high 20s per week and am trying to get myself into the 30s but I am not yet in the 40s and woukd want to work up to that over the next several months. I don't think I will be there yet for 6 consecutuve months before starting a plan.

Check out the Higdon intermediate plans.

Docket_Rocket

Hanson is a 6 day program, so I would recommend something like Pfitz 18/55 or Higdon Intermediate.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

From the Internet.

Might be worth picking up a book or two to understand the general philosophy, purpose of each workout type and how they fit into marathon training, etc and then map out a modified plan closer to when you'll start training to suit the mileage/intensity that you'll be able to handle? Or do something like pick a Higdon novice plan as a skeleton, pad the midweek mileage a bit and put in some quality components. If that's more work than you want to do you could possibly find a coach-type person to put together a plan for you.

I'm also planning to base build over the winter. If I can magically get to 50mpw and stay there all spring I'll be thrilled, but I'm more just hoping to get to 40 and go from there.

B-Plus

I'm surprised there has been no obligatory mmmmm bop or hockey bros photo as of yet.

Beginner is 6 day also? I'll talk about my experience later when I get to a keyboard. Or maybe LRB will fill you in since he knows my training better than I do. #logstalker

onemile

Your mileage is pretty low to be thinking about Hansons or Pfitz.  Unless you plan to be averaging 40mpw by the time you start training, I'd look at Higdon instead.