Beginners and Beyond

Edited: My RR AND Age Group Placement (Read 95 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I woke up refreshed around 6:15 a.m, ate a cinnamon raisin english muffin with some peanut butter and honey, then kind of goofed off some. After getting dressed around 7:25 a.m I went for what was going to be a 2 mile warm up run but ended up being a 1.15 mile run because my garmin kept losing satellite reception and my legs were a bit tight, it was frustrating now knowing if I kept it slow enough.

I headed to pick my sister up at 8 a.m and when we got there we both had to find a restroom so we ran to the first gym at the university, probably a quarter of a mile where I parked, then ran to the one next to it. Afterwards we stretched some, I felt ready and excited  for it to begin. The songs were getting us pumped, we were goofing off a lot, hearing the Macarina or however you spell it, then.... I can't remember the others. We started off with a good pace that I didn't expect, around 9:20 though my legs felt a little bit like jello. The first downhill was nice, first mile was a 9:22 and we picked up the pace a little but then came a long and big hill that slowed us back down to around 9:20 and then I do remember seeing us below 9 min/mile at one point. The 2nd mile was a 9:19 pace, and I was really feeling great though I could see Shauna was struggling a little, but right after the 2nd mile a large hill appeared out of nowhere (I swear!) and kicked Shauna's butt horribly, I tried to stay with her but I saw my pace reach 9:41 and I wanted to pick it back up, she told me to go on. The hill just about did me in too, but I kept pushing it and told myself I was almost finished and I was doing really well. Third mile was an 8:58 pace and then the measily .1 was a 7:29 and I was giving the sprint all I had. Over all I had aimed for a 28:59 and I finished with a time of 28:29, I was kind of hoping for around 26 minutes after Wednesday's run but I was not expecting those hills and an elevation gain of 181 ft, and some of the course had concrete as hard as sidewalks or harder, and I could just feel the awful pounding in my feet. No photos (yet), DH didn't go with us so there were no finishing photos though I am not sure I'd want to see them.

It was a great race, I am happy with the results and now along with Wednesday night I know what I am capable of, I feel I gave today's race everything I could have given. Last year I dropped out of it, it was the first race after like 2 months of no running, 15 lb weight gain and 15 degrees, I had completely underestimated the toll my body had taken with the pregnancy and have spent some time dwelling on my dropping out from it. Now I can proudly say I made up for it.

Hearts on Fire 5k

Goal time: 28:59

Finishing time: 28:29 (Garmin)

Pace: 9:10 min/mile

Edited: Their results say 28:22 with a pace of 9:07....

Age Group - Female - 25-29 - Placed 13 out of 52 finishers!!

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Great job! Congrats!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Zelanie

Sounds like you paced it well- nice 3rd mile!  Way to go on beating your goal!

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Thanks ya'll, my sister joked that I should have done a warm up run on half the course so that I could have told her when she could expect to die.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Thanks ya'll, my sister joked that I should have done a warm up run on half the course so that I could have told her when she could expect to die.

PRs

MrNamtor

Great job FreesSoul.  Yeah hills can really throw you off for sure, but you had a great time that exceeded your goal time anyway, even if it wasn't the time you thought you might get, so it's a definite win.

Can't wait to see the pictures!

delicate flower

Sorry you didn't get your 26 minutes but it sounds like you ran a good race anyway.  Nice job, FreeSoul!  Mmmm.....cinnamon raisin muffin...

<3

happylily

Hills are tough, but you did great! Congratulations, girl! It won't take you long before you get a sub-26:00, I can tell you that. Smile

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

It was definitely fun, I felt bad for my sis though.... I had a blast and I know hills just help make you stronger. 26 minutes was a big goal for me, my last great 3 mile run was in November and that was 28:15 so I bet if I had added another .1 it would have been around 28:29 too, so no biggie Smile. Next 5k race I will be sure to kick some tail, and study the course as well.

I keep watching for the pics, I know there had to be a photographer out there somewhere dang it, I'll be a little upset if I don't see at least one picture of me lol.

PRs

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Nicely done, way to beat your goal!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Congrats!  Great job!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Thanks! The more I think about it, I beat my goal time and I was goofing off during the first 2 miles, and the pace didn't begin to get difficult until after that hill. I am pretty pleased with myself, I had a blast and beat my pace and conquered an evil hill Cool

PRs

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Awesome job. You moms that pop back from pregnancy and get running are really incredible. Feeling like you have a sense of your potential is great...train smartly and keep working and you'll reach that and more. Keep up the good work.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

runmomto3boys

Congratulations on running even faster than expected!  You ran a heck of a race on that tough course!  Bravo!

LRB

Sweet...the breakfast that is.  Oh, and the race too!