Beginners and Beyond

Wednesday Penguins are ready for spring (Read 30 times)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

We are getting MORE SNOW TONIGHT!!! Arrrrgggg. Depending on what forecast you read anywhere from 4 to 12 inches. I feel like I am back in Ithaca where I went to undergrad and grad school with all the snow and bitter cold this winter!

I didn't get to check back in yesterday, really busy day at work, but I did read over the thread, and thank you all for the well wishes, thoughts, and prayers for my cousin's wife and my whole family!

I did get to the gym last night, an hour before it closed. I wanted to do 2.5 miles on the elliptical and 3 on the TM but I misjudged my timing (thought for sure an hour would be enough for that) and had to cut my run short at 2.1 because the worker kicked me off. Oh well....in retrospect should have only done a mile on the elliptical. But I go it done even though my iPod was dead because it had accidentally got turned on in my bag and was probably playing all day, and the TV at that gym (it is the place that my pool is by where I do homecare in the evenings not my regular gym) only has Russian TV, and I was exhausted and really would rather be on my couch watching Olympics and then in bed. Rough but I got it done, 2.1 miles is better than 0.

Just got back from 6:00am spin! I only left the gym 8 hours before going back to a gym (albeit different gyms)

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Back to work since being off from Friday, lots of e-mails to catch up on, busy, busy, busy!

Ran yesterday about 1 pm. in the afternoon.  Windy, rainy, about 36 degrees,  with the wind making it feel like 33.  BRRRR!  Got in 3.1 miles and actually had a pretty good run/walk in spite of the weather.  I even ran in my shorts.   Had some red legs after the run from the wind, but felt pretty good overall.   Today our 'cold front' is moving out and the high will be near 60 degrees and sunny, nice. Plan on getting a few miles in around the university campus.

Thanks for starting things off, Kristin.  Sorry about even more snow coming your way!  Only Russian TV, that must be interesting.  I recall when I was in Turkey and there was this John Wayne movie on...dubbed in Turkish...funny listening to John Wayne speaking Turkish!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Quote from StartingOver42 on 2/11/2014 at 10:37 AM:

Hola Penguins...Whole lotta nothin' for me today again.

Top 5 good things about not being able to run this week:

5. I can sleep a little later

4. Less laundry

3. No smelly running clothes sitting around (see #4)

2. No pesky endorphins clouding my brain

1. I don't have to see the old dude in the locker room at the Y using the hair dryer on his junk. Some things, once seen, cannot be unseen my friends. 

On the bright side, despite the crappy winter weather we are currently having, the weather for the HM Sunday looks perfect! low of 40, high of 60. Probably 45 when the race starts.

Well, at his age, this may be the only blow he gets anymore.     Remember that when you're his age, SO42, this might be your future someday!  

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Quote from Bin Running on 2/11/2014 at 11:28 PM:

Busy Busy..

DS  and DD both fell sick... Cranky the whole of last night..

8M on indoor track as DW was on leave and managed to sneak out for 1.5hr before dinner.. A luxury..

Sorry about the kiddies, Bin, hope they feel better!

PADRunner

Morning Penguins.

I took an extra rest day Monday and finally got on the elliptical for 60 last night. My knee is still a little sore. I'm going to try to run on it tonight,

Philliefan33

Stopping by to wave "hi" to everyone.

I haven't had much time to visit the internet over the past couple of weeks, so unfortunately I've been out of touch with the BF.  It's not been a good winter for running, with all the snow / ice / cold.  My mileage is way down, and every day after work I have to fight the urge to just curl up with a blanket and a book.  I'm sure there's others in the same mood -- hurry up Spring!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

'Morning Kristin, Scotty, PAD, AND MARGO. Looks like another indoor track run for us.  Looks like we are spared from this storm, so take care those of you that are not so lucky.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Last day at work until March, so I have shit ton to do!  My dad arrives tonight and I am very excited about that.  A ride if I have time.

Bin, hope the kiddos get better.

Hi, Phillie!

Kristin, how is your cousin's wife?

Hiya, Scotty.

PadRunner, yo!

Wait, I did shoutouts?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Bin Running

Thanks, guys.

Only had 45mins so only did 4 with 3 @ 8:05.

All those still getting lots of snow, take care.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  Well, we are prepping for this massive horrific snowstorm, so I hope at least we get a few inches of snow, otherwise we're going to feel awfully foolish.  DH accidentally bought two loaves of bread, forgetting that we already had most of a loaf.  So clearly there will need to be some bread in the freezer, because even if the power goes out, I don't think we can eat three loaves of bread.  Plus, I'm planning to make some rum raisin bread this afternoon, because hey, it's rum raisin bread!  Anyway, I'm looking to leave at 2 or 3, since the snow is supposed to start by 6 and I don't want to get stuck in a bad commute.

kristin -- sounds like a workout!!

scotty -- wow, sunny and warm?  If I could have snow with warm temps, I'd be all kinds of happy!!  

PAD -- knees are funny, sometimes an aching knee gets better with rest, sometimes with gentle activity.  Good luck!!

Phillie -- yep, I'm a hibernating Penguin!!

Jerryb -- have a good indoor run!!

Docket -- good luck getting everything done!!  And good luck with the surgery!!

Bin -- hope the kiddos are feeling better!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

StartingOver42

faster than a glacier

Hola Penguins...

Scotty: Haha that probably is true, it seems once you hit a certain age your sense of personal boundaries tends to be a little "looser". The older guys at my gym treat the locker room as a nudist social colony. Hey buddy I'm happy to stand around and chat with you, but can ya throw a towel over the southern region there? Thanks. 

Aaaaaaaaanyway, AFM, I'm just sitting at work not obsessing about the race on Sunday *

Nope, totally focused on work. **

* That is a lie

** So is that

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

Yes, another quick check in.

PF: Good to hear from you again.

Scotty: Welcome back! Wink

Tonight, DW and I are running 6 miles with some strides. So far her training is going well and I think she will do great in the marathon. My PF "seems" to be getting better (touch wood). The last two runs have been great and it feels good in the morning. Again, like last week, I "accidentally" ran seven days in a row without even realizing it. Some friends are leaving town so we are going out for sushi and coming back for some of his home brew. We rarely go out during the week but we have to make exceptions sometimes, right?

Have a good day.

on my way to badass

Hey Pens!

Every now and then I get to stop in and check on everyone.

Damaris- Good luck with the surgery!

Kristin- Sorry you got cut off too soon.  At least you got something done.

Bin-  I hope the kids are feeling better quick.

Jack-enjoy the sushi!

Scotty- I'm looking forward to 60F.  It's months off(so it seems).

Has Ginny been around?

AFM- I got a long run in on Monday and broke my record for (training not racing) for 10K. By. 12. Minutes.  Huge accomplishment for me.  I am so ready for Spring.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

SheCan

Good morning Penguins!

kristin-- you've been so busy lately.  Going to the gym, going to spin, putting in long hours at work, going to the hospital.  Its a good thing you're young.  I truly don't get how you are able to do it day after day.  Hang in there!

Scotty-- brrrr@ your run yesterday!  And geez, thank you for reminding us of SO42s gym experience.  I'm still trying to unremember it.

PAD-- great job on the elliptical.  Don't over do the run if you have any pain.

Margo-- good to see you!  I'd wondered how you'd been.  I figured you'd turned to FB and left us behind once your mean ol boss stop letting you talk to us during the day.  Hope your weather warms up enough to let you get some decent runs in soon.

Jerry-- so glad finally that you're spared some of the stormy weather.  You've still had tons of it though.  Have fun at the track today.

Docket-- last day until March!?!  When is your surgery then?  Yay@ you dad coming.  How nice!   Enjoy your ride if you get it.

Bin-- good job on the quick miles.  HOpe your babies are feeling better soon, and that you & DW don't end up ill either.  How is your HM training going?  Are you feeling good about it so far?

HsM-- well if I were to get stuck in a snow storm, I'd like it to be where there was rum/raisin bread available.  Yum.  Hope you don't get too much snow.  Be careful, and drive safely.

SO42-- LOL@ you and your madness.  Race is gonna be fine, I swear...  And as I tell my DH, I"m always right.

Jack--- Ha@ you accidentally doing 7 again.  You must be feeling pretty darned good then.  So glad your PF is getting better.  Have fun tonight, but not too much.  Don't wanna go to school smellin' of home brew tomorrow. 

SF-- great run for you yesterday  So is the snow gone there right now?  Are you in the path of the big storm coming?

I did another easy, smeazy run of 3 miles today.  Got an email a few minutes ago, warning people doing the marathon Sunday that it's predicted to be about 80* by 11 a.m. Sunday.  I feel for the people that are coming from the upper states;  that's going to feel awfully warm for them if they've been training in the cold.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson