Beginners and Beyond

RR - 10 mile in PA (Read 81 times)

Short n' Sweet:

10 miler in Bradford, PA.  Unofficial 1:01:16, 2nd place overall.

Deets:

The third race in a series of four of which I've DNSed the first two.  Fate finally smiled on me and threw no snowstorms or flat tires into the mix.  Bright sun and 40 degrees and DRY PAVEMENT.  Smile

The field looked pretty small, everyone was just asked to line up in the street before a yelled "GO!" sent the runners off without even a marked start line. Three of us went out together from the start - me, a youngish guy, and Steve, with whom I had run the majority of the series' half last year.

The first couple miles felt easy and no one wanted to open it up really hard due to the remaining distance.  Steve and I chatted a bit and once again were stride for stride.  He mentioned that he wanted to break 1:00, and after a loop around the University campus, it was all business as the hills started.  By about 4.5 miles I was struggling to stay with him and said "go ahead if you've got it".  Beyond the 5 mile turnaround, he was on fire, and I was not.  The younger guy hadn't stayed with us, so the rest of the race felt more like a solo time trial.  Steve got far enough ahead that I couldn't rely on follow the leader for direction at all times.

Coming back into town, there were volunteers at several intersections.  The younger ones smiled and pointed out the correct path.  A few of the older ones seemed confused by queries about where to go, and I'm afraid that I was rude to one lady.  "Which way?"  "..."  Which way?" "...." WHICHWAYWHICHWAYWHICHWAY?!?!?" elicited a slight gesture and something indistinguishably sarcastic.  FFS, this isn't orienteering.

And then I was over it, and the race was over too.  1:01:16 was good for a 6:07 pace, and I was OK with that for having seriously curtailed my speedwork in the winter snow.  I shook hands with Steve (who had smoked his hour goal) and the 3rd place guy and we ran a cooldown while talking about upcoming marathon plans.

Great day to run, and a very fun, low-key race.  Looking forward to the half in a month.

Docket_Rocket

Wow.  You are fast (I knew this but seeing it is another matter, LOL).

Great job!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Wowzers!  Great time.  I can't believe the course wasn't more clear, and that volunteers weren't more quick to help.  I'm glad you didn't get lost, but even a wrong turn or two, and you would have beat me.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Misty

Amazingly fast! Congrats!

Misty

Bless your heart.

delicate flower

Holy crap, you ran 10 miles in 61 minutes?  Yowsers.

<3

Luke79

Damn, 6:07...you were ballin' dude.  Nice job.

LRB

Nice run, I know exactly what you mean by needing to know which way to go, now.  When I volunteered at the Ann Arbor marathon, I actually had to run to a second spot because it was confusing to runners.  A fact I pointed out to the organizers for next years event.

Don't feel bad about that, it is of the utmost importance to know where you are going at all times when running during an event.

Love the Half

Pet peeve.  Coming up to an intersection and a volunteer can't tell me which way to turn.  I've had that happen a couple of times when I've been in a place where the leaders are out of sight and all the recreational runners are significantly behind me.  Still, that's kind of the price you pay for those smaller, low key races and I still prefer them to the mega races.

That's a damn fast time for a 10 miler dude.  Your 10 mile race pace even with hills is more like my 5 mile race pace.  What marathon are  you running and what, if any, goals are you setting for that?

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

runmomto3boys

You always amaze me, Jay!  With the move and all the training you've been doing in the snow/cold, you STILL managed to burn off a 6:07 pace 10 miler?  That race is just that much more impressive to me!  Come Spring/Summer?  ZOMG!  I can't imagine the paces you are going to run. Congratulations on placing second overall and proving once again that you are one of the fastest guys I know!  Bravo!

What marathon are  you running and what, if any, goals are you setting for that?

Hah, they're actually right in line with your goals.

1) Boston, no pressing issues other than enjoying the experience.

2) Sub 3:00 this fall.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Wow congrats!!!! Awesome job!

By the way, my first 5 mile run I finished in that EXACT time. You are exactly twice as fast as me lol!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

GinnyinPA

Great race time - congratulations.

Excellent race.  Very nice pace!

Zelanie

Smokin fast!  Congrats!

Jess runs for bacon

Holy crap! Congrats! I hate when volunteers are confused. One time I volunteered and the course was different the year before, no one believed me when I told them to go a certain way. Freaked me out massively (I had it right though).