Beginners and Beyond

Your Stupidist Traffic Ticket (Read 140 times)

You're dead in dog years

So this weekend I got mine. Coming home from DC, heading south. Lot of cops on that stretch due ot the county refueling station being right off that freeway.

As I was driving I noticed that he had moved into my blind spot. I slowed dow to encourage his passing me. I got down to 45, and realize this was just stupid. Either he was going to get me or not. I was not speeding or anything along those lines....so I though it was be interesting to see what he did. Well he pulled me over. After asking me a few abstract questions, He let me know he pulled me over due to my window tint being too dark.

wait.....what? thats it?

I am active duty military. DL is in TX. Car is Licenced and tagged in TX. Normally this means all you need to do is make sure you follow TX auto rules no matter where you are. Well.......not in VA. Not even if you are "just driving through"

VA has written their laws to state that no matter where you are from, as long as you are "operating a motor vehicle" on their road......No excuses. You follow their laws. So what is perfectly legal for tint in TX.......not so much in VA. Though it is "Fix it Ticket" with no real fine attached.......I still have to remove it and get it retinted according to VA laws in order to avoid actual fine.

One more reson I hate the DC area and VA. Every dollar in your wallet is theirs except the one they give you back...and you owe them eternal gratitute (and your vote) for their generocity.

What was yours??

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

In 2006 while I was in college, I was at a red light in Ithaca, NY, and picked up my cell phone. All of the sudden a BICYCLE cop knocks on my window. He asks for my license and registration. He told me I was no longer allowed to talk on a cell phone while driving. I explained that I was not "driving" I was stopped. He had to phone in my license number to base to get it scanned since he didn't have the means to do that on his bike. He wrote me a ticket for talking on a cell phone while driving....even though I *wasn't* driving. I went to pay the ticket, and it turns out that he never even turned it in! So I ended up not even having to pay for it!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Hip Redux

In my twenty+ years of driving, I have only received a ticket once.  And that was for hitting a cop car.

In my defense, his lights were on and he was trying to take a right turn - in front of where I was attempting to get out of his way.  So it was really his fault too.   How the hell was I supposed to see his blinker?!

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

I am active duty military. DL is in TX. Car is Licenced and tagged in TX. Normally this means all you need to do is make sure you follow TX auto rules no matter where you are. Well.......not in VA. Not even if you are "just driving through"

No, if fact, hell no.  If you are driving in another state/country/planet you must follow their rules not "Texas rules."  Can you imagine the cluster-f/ck this would cause from state to state if this were really true?

You people have issues 

Docket_Rocket

The state laws of the state you are driving through are the ones that count for that, not the laws of where you come from.

I was once given a speeding ticket...in the only lane...during rush hour traffic...with a red light.  6 other cars got the "speeding" ticket too.  The cops in PR have a specific amount of tickets per month they need to give and I fell into his quota that day.  It cost me; my dad grounded me for 30 fucking days.  Bah!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Yeah, turning right on red is legal almost everywhere but NYC. "No turn in red" isn't posted anywhere, it is just  the law that you can't and you just have to know. A lot of out-of-towners get tickets because they don't even realize what they're doing is illegal. If the logic that you only have to follow your own traffic laws no matter where you go, out-of-towners oculd turn on red and not get tickets....that doesn't make sense.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Window tint laws are a bit different though.  You can't change it just to pass through a state, you just have to hope for an understanding officer.  My territory spans 5 states, with 5 different tint laws.  I haven't had a problem yet, but wouldn't change it either unless I had several run ins.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

By the way....roll em down.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Love the Half

Where in the world did you get the idea that you only have to follow the laws of the state in which your vehicle is registered?  Sorry but if you drive through a state, you subject yourself to their laws.  Until recently, talking on a cell phone without a hands free device was perfectly acceptable in WV but it would get you a $250 ticket in NJ.  When I went to NJ, I made sure not to pick up the phone while driving because I could have gotten a ticket and I would have had to pay it.

I also get a chuckle out of a government employee complaining about the government.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

There are a lot of states though that WILL recognize another state's tint laws if your license and registration are through that state.  A lot of you are acting like this is completely unheard of.  There are states that require license plates on the front of the car, and the back.  Those states don't require me to get two Indiana plates to drive through them.  Some states require inspections.  That doesn't mean that I need an inspection to drive through that state.  It's completely unreasonable for a state to think that someone is going to pull over at the state line, and start pealing tint off of the windows.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Hip Redux

Except registration requirements are different than traffic violations.   States recognize other out of state registrations but that's not the same as obeying traffic laws in another state.

And Google provided this.

LRB

And Google provided this.

I only have the tint that is factory installed on the rear three windows on any vehicle I drive.  In fact, the vehicle I own now had the front two windows tinted when I bought it and I took it right in and had that shit removed.  The last thing I need is to give them fools a reason to pull me over...speaking of that, one of my rear brake lights is out, and has been for a while.  Tongue

As for the OP, every ticket I have ever gotten was stupid.  Aren't they all? I mean think about it; I am getting a ticket for something hundreds if not thousands of other drivers are doing as the officer is standing at my window making my day.

You either get us all, or none of us ya prick.  ; )

You're dead in dog years

Where in the world did you get the idea that you only have to follow the laws of the state in which your vehicle is registered?  Sorry but if you drive through a state, you subject yourself to their laws.  Until recently, talking on a cell phone without a hands free device was perfectly acceptable in WV but it would get you a $250 ticket in NJ.  When I went to NJ, I made sure not to pick up the phone while driving because I could have gotten a ticket and I would have had to pay it.

I also get a chuckle out of a government employee complaining about the government.

Where did you get the idea that a perm modificaion to a vehicle that is perfectly legal in the state of registration, is comparible to the instantly changeable personal behavior of the driver? Straw man much?

There are a lot of waivers to state laws that military get. AWOOD RUNNER above sites a partical reason way. Due to being placed there, not out of personal choice other than my employment with the military, many state exempt Military fro somethings. An example: I live in VA but I am TX res, but I do not pay ANY VA taxes....except sales tax. Even if I bought a home in VA.....I can keep TX tax residence status.

Additionally, you comment seems to imply that the "in this state, you will follow these laws" is a universal in all states. That is not true. Plenty of states have a "pass through" rule because they recognize how stupid of an idea it is. VA is just looking to grab some easy revenue.

The subject of the thread is STUPID TICKETS. I did not say I did not agree with it being the law. It is the law and I will obey it. I merely think this law is EXTREMELY stupid.

As for getting a chuckle over a government employee complaining about the government, your comparison, as if one person in the government has the ability to change anything, is a stupid one.

One more time: Stupid

#artbydmcbride

In Cali, you can't keep driving around with out of state plates indefinitely either, you gots to re-register for California plates.  And you better get a lighter tint on those windows too.

I got a ticket for having a clear plastic cover on my front plate.   Black eye

Runners run

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Ohio is the same way, deadchipmunk.  My wife and I were assigned to Ohio in my Air Force days.  We were reassigned to Texas, got our windows tinted, went back to visit friends in Ohio, and got pulled over for tinted window being too dark.  However, we did not get a ticket as we were not living in Ohio at that time.   But he told us, like you, even if our car was registered in our home state which had different tint laws, if we had been living there - even as military - we'd have had to get the window changed.

My stupidest ticket ever was when I was living in England and got a ticket for spitting out the window.  Apparently that's frowned on in England.  And I suppose it didn't help that the motorcycle cop who gave me the ticket was just moving up on my right exactly at the moment  when I spit out of my driver's window and so he was right there to 'catch it' since I was in my right-hand drive English car.......

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt